or Register?

[CW] Just Good Friends
Diamond Pony Owner

728 Posts
22 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: [Here]
Height: 5'6"

It was an opulent Italian restaurant, with a line that trailed out past the door to check reservations. There were various configurations of parties in it. The groups of men seemed to number three or more, but there were some women in pairs, and a preponderance toward families and older couples (presumably married).

Though tempted to wait for Crane, he figured it would look less suspicious if he checked in first. Not that there was anything suspicious about dining with a friend he still stroked it to. It would have been weirder if he had not offered!

Besides, last night was the last time he was going to drink the same kind of vodka before bed. It was just the vodka.

Zechariah had chosen a green vest under the black suit (that he found so indistinguishable from the other black coats) direction this Shabbat. It was the most color he had dared wear since the tragedy of Wilde. He glanced down the line, then figured it better to keep his head turned forward so he did not look like an overeager fool. What? Good company was hard to find!
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah was confused to put it simple. He'd felt foolish letting his heart try to move so quickly and let his thoughts be known, only to be dismissed. It had reminded him he was never meant to find someone and had recalled his old ways to be forever a bachelor once more. But then the letters... the mixed signals he got made him curious.

He said he'd be supportive though and he did really want friends. So he kept his word and arrived at the Italian restaurant, reminding himself over and over it was just a friendly outing. Zechariah wouldn't take a man he liked out on a date in public, for the obvious reason and he was engaged! He loved this woman, and Elijah told himself he was okay with it.

When he'd managed to get to the front of the line. He realizes he didn't know completely if he'd used his real name. But then it was a friendly dinner, there was no reason to hide! He was right and was shown to the man who looked handsome in his suit that only had a little color that drew in his eyes. He felt embarrassed he had only the one suit, but who could afford two? And have a good enough reason to need it.

Still, he wished he could have dressed as sharply as the man before him, even if it wouldn't look nearly as good on him.

He took his seat and managed a small welcoming smile. "Thank you..for ah... inviting me. It's nice to..have an excuse to go spend time with a friend. You look fantastic." He said trying to be nice and not be mistaken for flirting.
Diamond Pony Owner

728 Posts
22 Threads

Indeed, Zechariah had given his real name. Why would he give any other? Reputation was everything, and part of reputation was signing his own name on every inch of paper he could.

When he saw Elijah approaching, his eyes immediately raked over him. It was a suit. Every man could don a suit. He was more interested in what was underneath it all.

… His mind. Yes, his mind. Friends.

“So do you,” he huffed, for was it not a given that they were both handsome men?

And … an excuse? Elijah had not seemed all that, well, interested in him – in either letter or person, aside from a coy remark after some drinking. Everyone looked better with a few drinks.

Did he think of him? Did he want him? God, this was ridiculous.

“… How was work?”

Yes. Work. That was safe what friends talked about.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah was happy to see him, but he looked him over as he huffed. What? He complimented him but, "Ah, thanks. Sorry about the suit, I only have the one but I think it suits me." It was cheap but looked nice, and it was durable, that felt fitting somehow.

"Oh, it's been well. How was your work? Finish that case yet?" The one that had brought him to his work that day and had been a part in all that had happened.

He considered more beyond their polite talk as friends. Friends could talk about more than the weather, right?

"Oh, I found the one who wrote that article. I ..couldn't do anything about it... but on the bright side people don't believe it so much. I think?" Now some thought he was a creep with an obsession over a girl at a brothel.
Diamond Pony Owner

728 Posts
22 Threads

If anything, the apology made him huff more.

“You are gorgeous, stop being modest.”

Elijah mentioned a case, and Zechariah blanked for a moment. Which was that case? The one he had been shaking him for this and that for months on? What he mainly thought of since was that Elijah got outed, and what would be more exquisite than some assisted repenting?

Fuck. Stop it, Zechariah.

“Still working on it. Partly because another client thinks I am some sort of accountant.”

He looked down at the menu, though the words on it hardly held his attention.

“But he pays at a much higher rate, so he could be sending me laundry for all I care.”

Never mind that that would be Mr. Benjamin’s problem.

“At least you found her. How did that go?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah blushed at the compliment and brought up his menu so no one would notice, hopefully. "Ah, thank you.. really." He looked at the menu briefly while hiding behind it, he didn't know what anything was so he gently placed it down. "I'll have whatever you recommend.."

His eyes returned to Zechariah and he became quite curious. "Oh? Well, as long as they are paying you for your time. You're too valuable to be wasted on such things but if the money is good..."

He idly glanced away and smiled though it was just a natural reaction to cover his embarrassment. "She works at the Pony. I tried to get her to talk to me but she hid away and people thought I was a jilted lover or a stalker. So I eventually gave up. I may find her later elsewhere since I know her cousins and uncle well. It's a little humiliating."
Diamond Pony Owner

728 Posts
22 Threads

What to recommend? He wanted to share his entire life the things he enjoyed with him. But he also wanted to kiss him, which was awkward, because they were friends.

“I have heard some Catholics-” was Chris Catholic? “-recommend the pork stew.”

Stew was not an anal diet.

“I rather fancy their risotto myself.”

Zechariah smiled at Elijah’s comment about money, politely, though after a moment it passed to something more resigned.

“I have a large family. I know I must seem ambitious-” he was “-but I try to keep a cushion for my siblings and their families. You never know. How many siblings do you have?”

A woman from the Pony was throwing stones?

“Stones and blackmail is all that comes from those types of women,” he scoffed. “I can imagine. Do you believe she will stop harassing you, or is it time to take more serious measures?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah nodded to him, listening closely. "Then, I would like to try the risotto as well." He was sure if Zechariah liked it, he would too. He trusted in his taste and that he wouldn't steer him wrong, though he certainly knew the other left him wanting and confused.

"Oh?" He brightened up a little. "That's such a kind thing to do." His smile faltered and he immediately looked away. He wanted to rub the back of his neck or rub his hands together, but he struggled to not fidget and look calm and like good company to his friend. "Ah.. none. I was an only child and my parents died when I was eight. So.. I moved in with my grandparents and they died a few years back. So... it is only me. " He gave a weak laugh still unable to look at him. "I always wanted a family, but.. life is funny this way."

He finally looked to the other when the conversation went to the strangely more comfortable topic of Lory. "I don't know. I am hoping if I do nothing, she'll move on. It wasn't like we had enough contact for this to be more. I want it all to just stop and I'm afraid if I give it attention it will get worse."
Diamond Pony Owner

728 Posts
22 Threads

Zechariah smiled, politely. Fuck. Foiled by good taste.

His smile was more sincere when Elijah called it a kind thing to do, but also … more reserved. Had he not figured he would become an accessory to Menachem’s woman-stalking and brother stabbing, he might have offered help instead of judgment.

Well. Help and judgment.

His own smile faded when Elijah looked uncomfortable. Sore subject? … O-oh. God damn. He wanted to hug the poor thing. How did he get by without family? Could they have had a giant family together? They- they still could. Just not the way Zechariah wanted to.

“My children could use a godfather, someone who is closer to where they will be raised should something happen.”

Zechariah cast another sympathetic look his way. A waiter arrived, standing with a refined bored look as Zechariah talked.

“I would have suggested a slander suit, especially if she is not a woman of means – but the crowd is hungry for the blood of men—” he glanced to the waiter, “—presumed to be interested in other men.”

“Good evening, gentlemen,” the waiter droned when eye contact was finally made. “May I take your orders?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah felt heavy from the serious conversation. He hadn't meant to but it was clear family was a lot to Zechariah and he loved that about him. He could understand how deep family was and perhaps that added to the loneliness he felt. He was grateful when the other talked again as he'd began to fear an awkward silence would permeate their evening.

"Oh?" He looked very surprised. As a godfather he'd be... almost like a close uncle to the kids. He'd get to be around a lot as they grew up, if Zechariah allowed it which feels like he would. It would be the closest he'd ever get to being a father.

A smile came to his face as he wasn't sure what to say. "R-really? I mean... if you're both alright with it. How could I say no?"

Elijah nodded at the more serious conversation and pretended to be unaware of the waiter for a moment. "Yes but people don't believe that any more. So perhaps it's best to let it go. It'll just be considered another silly untrue article in that rumor rag. I feel like it makes me seem defensive if I argue and try anything against her ." And she was related to Ben. Could his family spare much more drama at the moment?

The voice made him instantly turn towards the waiter and he immediately looked to Zechariah wanting the master to show him how it's done.