Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

Welcome to the Whitby Regatta
Administrator

746 Posts
51 Threads

Welcome to the Whitby Regatta

Here you will find all the information together. You will find the relevant instructions in the respective event threads as well. If you have any questions or suggestions don’t hesitate to drop a comment in discord or PM me.

What is the Whitby Regatta?

The Whitby Regatta is a boat racing event hosted annually in Whitby during a mid-August weekend. This year (1895) it is held from Saturday the 17th to Monday the 19th of August.

This year there will be a yacht (sailing vessels) race on Saturday, a rowing competition on Sunday, and a tub race on Monday when everyone is either drunk or hungover already anyway. The cups will be awarded on Monday afternoon. Besides the cups, the organisation awards 10 pounds to the winning yacht and rowing teams and two pounds and six shillings to the winner or the tub race. Participants must provide their own yacht, rowing boat, or tub, respectively.

Although these races are the centre of the Regatta, there are many other forms of entertainment as well:
  • On Sunday evening there will be live music by some of the fisher folk and other locals on Tate Hill Pier so young people (and old people who feel young or want to keep their kids out of trouble) can hang out.
  • Simultaneously, there will be a charity ball hosted at the Angel Inn by some wealthier locals. The entrance fee is 10 shillings.
  • There will be other entertainment throughout the Regatta: Music at the bandstand during the day; market stalls with food and local crafts; some fairground attractions on the East pier; performances at the Spa Pavilion; pantomimes on the beach.
  • There’s a rumour that some radical women’s group plans a demonstration for women’s suffrage on the Friday evening, after the chairman’s opening speech.
  • Do you have suggestions for other aspects of the Regatta? DM or PM me and so long as it fits in with the general event, we’ll add it. Want to organize an additional IC mini competition (e.g. The Great Whitby Bake Off)? Also, DM or PM me. If it’s not rule-or realm-breaking, you’re free to do so. Let me know what you need.

Where is it held?

In character: The events take place all over town, but they are mostly centred around the harbour.

Out of character: We have a special Regatta subforum. Once the Regatta is over, they will be moved to ‘Memories and Introspection’, so that the Regatta subforum can be removed. If threads continue after July (when we switch to September in board time), they will also be moved there. You can finish them at your own pace there.

How does this event work?

As mentioned, there is a separate subforum for Regatta related threads.

There is a sticky thread up for reference with continuous attractions and market/vendor stalls. Hiring a stall for the long weekend costs five shillings. Of course, your character could also set up their own illegal stall, or sell stuff on the go without a permit, and magically disappear as soon as a constable approaches. Let’s hope they don’t get caught! There will be a sign up thread in the ‘Census’ board where you can sign up your character’s stall so that they can be added to the reference thread. I will add some NPC stalls as well. Feel free to add any NPC stall ideas in the sign up thread.

I will start an open thread for the party at Tate Hill Pier, and a thread for the charity band at the Angel Inn. These will be general threads, but you are welcome to break off into your private threads if convenient.

You are welcome to start any other open or private threads in the Regatta subforum. There is a lot going on throughout the event apart from the dances/music and races after all. I will also start several open threads throughout the event, so people can jump in.

The races:
  • There will be sign up threads for the three competitions. The sailing yacht race and rowing race will require teams: 3 to 5 members for the yachts and 5 members for the rowing boats. The teams must arrange their own sailing or rowing boats. You can form a team with several of your own characters or have your own characters team up with another player’s characters. If you don’t have enough characters for a team, you can add NPCs. The tub race will be between individual characters. This is a bring your own tub type of event. You are welcome to join the competitions with NPCs only. If there are few competitors, I will throw in some NPCs anyway.
  • When signing up your character or team, you will be asked to assess their chance of winning in terms of experience, talent, physical state, state of gear, etc., on a scale from 0 to 5. (For example: 0: Half of the team members are drunk, they have never stepped in a boat before, their sail is about to rip, they are likely to capsize before the race begins, they bought their tub from the Longbottom workshop, etc.; 3: Decent quality gear, most members are talented, but at least one is out of shape, etc.; 5: They’ve been training for this all year, they are skilled seamen, they basically sleep in that tub, etc.). This is for your own judgement.
  • All the races will take place through several rounds of dice rolls and subsequent posts. Each competitor or team respectively will roll a d20 plus 0 to 5 d4’s, depending on the score you gave them in your sign up post. This means that in theory your very bad team or drunk competitor could win, but that the better they are, the higher the chance that they actually will win.
  • Since races may overlap, please always indicate the race and team/character you are posting for.
  • Rolling a 8 or less total in any single round means that your character/team’s boat or tub capsizes, crashes, or otherwise sinks and they’re out of the competition. Let’s hope the life boat is on stand by as the organisation promised.
  • After everyone/every team has rolled for the round, I will post the scores/added scores in a spoiler box in the respective competition thread, and everyone gets to post accordingly (e.g: You are now at 23, but the other ones at 40, 32, 34 etc, so your character/team is starting to fall behind). It is up to you how exactly you interpret these scores in terms of events, so long as it follows the success or failure that the scores and rolls indicate (e.g. You rolled a 6 in total: Maybe you or your team narrowly avoid crashing into the pier but trying to get back on track takes you so much time, you haven’t made much progress.) If you are in a team with other players, all may post, just work out the content between yourselves.
  • As soon as the scores have been posted, you may also roll for the next round. When we’ve reached the next round, I will post these scores again, plus the cumulative score, and you can post for that round, and so on.
  • All players of a team may post every round, but you get one roll in total. If you have a mixed player team, please work out between yourselves who will roll for the team.
  • The ‘finish line’ lies at 100, so the first team/person to reach that total or more wins the race. If more than one team/person reaches that number in a round, the one with the highest score crosses it first.
  • Although we have no general activity requirements on our site, these competitions will have time-based rounds. This means there is limited time to roll for each round. This is to keep the thread moving and not be forced to halt the competition thread if someone should go on an unexpected hiatus. If you or your team haven’t managed to roll in the assigned time, this is no problem, but I will roll for you and post the score along with the other ones, so people can play out the next round accordingly. If you haven’t managed to post during a round, also no problem: The dice scores give us the general outcome, so if you’ve missed a round, you can still write how your character experienced the different rounds and what they did to succeed/fail later.
  • For the specific time frames for signing up/rolling/posting, see the next section.
  • Audience is very welcome to post in the same threads.

When will the event and its aspects take place?

In character: On Saturday the 17th until Monday the 19th of August.

Out of character: April-July 2022 will represent August 1895 in site time, and the Regatta events will also run during these months. Unfinished threads may continue after that, but will be moved to ‘Memories and Introspection’ and you may continue there, so that we can close the Regatta subforum.
  • The stall/vendor sign up thread will open on Sunday the 3rd of April. It will remain open until the end of the event, so you can always add your character’s stall later.
  • The Regatta subforum will open on Saturday the 9th of April and remain open until at least the end of March, and longer if there are still running threads. You may start threads here from the 9th of April.

The Saturday yacht race:
  • Sign ups for the Saturday yacht race will close on Thursday the 21st of April . Please roll right after signing up, so we’ll have scores to work with for the first round. Please remember to indicate the team/character and race you are rolling for.
  • The yacht race thread will open on Friday the 22nd of April. Scores of the first round will be posted, after which you may post accordingly.
  • Teams will have until Friday the 29th of April to roll for the next round. Scores will be posted on Friday or Saturday, after which you may post again accordingly. If a team hasn’t managed to roll, I will roll for them.
  • You then have until Friday the 6th of May to roll for the next round, after which the scores will be posted and a new round, lasting another week, begins.
  • We will continue this weekly schedule until the competition is finished.
  • Reminders will be posted in Discord. A list of dates will added to the racing thread.

The Sunday rowing race:
  • Sign ups for the Sunday rowing race will close on Thursday the 12th of May. Please roll right after signing up, so we’ll have scores to work with for the first round. Please remember to indicate the team/character and race you are rolling for.
  • The rowing race thread will open on Friday the 13th of May. Scores of the first round will be posted, after which you may post accordingly.
  • Teams will have until Friday the 20th of May to roll for the next round. Scores will be posted on Friday or Saturday, after which you may post again accordingly. If a team hasn’t managed to roll, I will roll for them.
  • You then have until Friday the 27th of May to roll for the next round, after which the scores will be posted and a new round, lasting another week, begins.
  • Reminders will be posted in Discord. A list of dates will added to the racing thread.

The life music and ball:
  • The Sunday night music/dance and charity event threads will open on Saturday the 4th of June, and will remain open until everyone is finished. If they go on after July, however, they will be moved to ‘Memories and Introspection’ and you can continue here, so we can close the Regatta subforum.

The tub race:
  • Sign ups for the Monday tub race will close on Thursday the 1st of July. Please roll right after signing up, so we’ll have scores to work with for the first round. Please remember to indicate the team/character and race you are rolling for.
  • The tub race thread will open on Saturday the 2nd of July. Scores of the first round will be posted, after which you may post accordingly.
  • Teams will have until Friday the 8th of July to roll for the next round. Scores will be posted on Friday or Saturday, after which you may post again accordingly. If a team hasn’t managed to roll, I will roll for them.
  • You then have until Friday the 15th of July to roll for the next round, after which the scores will be posted and a new round, lasting another week, begins.

Other Questions:

I’m lost.

Don’t worry. I will post a Regatta information sticky thread under the Regatta subforum with the different aspects of the Regatta. Each sign up thread and competition thread will also include separate instructions and information. I will post announcements in the discord channel once new threads go up, and will post reminders for upcoming deadlines. If you’re in a competition and need to do something and seem to have forgotten, I’ll tag you to remind you. So just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Can I still start other threads set elsewhere in August?

Absolutely. We will take almost all of our ‘August’ time (April-July) for the Regatta, but that doesn’t exclude other August events. Our months merely serve to give players a general sense of site time and its passing, anyway. If you want to play a thread set back in February, nobody’s gonna to stop you.

I like my sandbox. Do I have to join this event?

Not at all. This event is entirely voluntary. The Regatta will have no lasting effect on the town, and no life-altering consequences on the characters beyond what the writers themselves include. If your character decides not to participate, all they would notice is that the town is very crowded and noisy during those days. You can just ignore it and carry on with your own threads.

I don’t want to join discord, but I do want to join one of the competitions. How do I roll?

That can be done! Send me a PM and we’ll figure out a way for you to roll online elsewhere. All the scores will appear in the thread at the start of each round, so you will know what the others have rolled and can post accordingly.

I have other questions.
DM or PM me or drop your question in the questions channel in our discord!