Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] New to Town and I've Got Things To Do [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]

154 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'4"

Nettie hadn't wanted to face him as she walked, she merely wished to speak of a secret she'd kept in her heart for a while. Why did she even mention it? She knew, deep inside, she wanted to know how he felt. Her parents made it clear she was a burden to them, a child that they didn't have time for. Malachi was different, and she truly believed he liked treating her like his own. Still, when he spoke, she froze. Slowly her face turned to him, she was smiling but her eyes glistened with tears.

She nodded but a small sniffle came and she brought up her sleeve to cover her eyes. "I know it couldn't have happened. But... you were always so good to me. Better than I thought I deserved more than once. And... you might never have officially been my father but, I always thought of you that way, even though I call you uncle." She smiled more and hung her head.

"I just.. wanted you to know that. I love you , uncle. And I want you to know you've been a great father figure to me. I hope you finally get all you deserve in this town and treated well..." It was hard to resist hugging him in the middle of the street.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Malachi couldn't have said what spurred on her confession, if her concern for him coupled with the time they'd spent apart had driven her to share or if it'd simply crossed her mind as they walked. It did not bother him to hear it (quite the opposite, in fact), but for all the comfort he found in her, he struggled in equal measure.

He had never been any better to her than she deserved, he knew that much. His meager contributions to her youth -- while considerable, compared to those of the rest of the family -- fell far behind the kind of care she had deserved, regardless of his efforts, because he had practically been a child himself. But her words were kind; she meant them, and that was all that mattered.

Beside her, the priest's shoulders tensed. A subtle shift, hardly any different from before.

She loved him, she said, and he knew it was true. Knew it was true, as he'd known for so long, and yet still the three words gave him pause. Playfully, Malachi nudged her arm with his own, careful not to let the touch linger.

"If I've been a great father figure, it's only because I've had such a perfect daughter figure to look out for," he said with a smile.

"I will be fine. I am fine, so please, leave the worrying to me and work on establishing yourself here. Your first job can be..."

Was he fine? Could he really be fine when he'd been allowing thoughts of a young man he didn't even know to predominate his thoughts since they'd 'met?' Slowed to a stop, Malachi pivoted towards the door of the shop he'd stopped in front of. Some sort of bakery, but he couldn't see into it all that well from outside.

"...Picking what to try first in here."

154 Posts
3 Threads

Any fear and anxiety she might have felt shed quickly when she saw his reaction. The nervousness melted in her features and she smiled brightly before laughing slightly. "Well, of course, it is partially thanks to me. I maybe have had my... troubles." She added with a moment of thought. "But, I was over all an angel. Had I been a little devil, I don't even think someone as patient and good as you could have put up with me." She shrugged and shook her head.

Her hand flicked towards him slightly. "I will be alright. I adapt, I've followed you to towns before..." It had always been after he'd approved of it and knew she was coming. "I can't help but worry. You are too gentle." She tsked but her head turned when he mentioned the shop.

"Well, when you put it like that." She smiled and opened the door and gave a playful bow as she gestured to let him in first. "After you, father." She grinned a little and walked with him inside. "I would love something after that trip..."
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

She thought he was too gentle?

Malachi struggled not to smile at that. From the way the locals had received him thus far, it was nice to hear that someone still thought so positively of him. That he had not stepped off of the ship irreversibly changed, in a shift so subtle it escaped his notice, but that prickled malevolently at the edge of the local subconscious.

That was most certainly what it felt like.

Nettie opened the door and Malachi strolled through.

'Father' felt different from her now that it was more than an empty title. It might have been jest, it might have been title alone in itself -- but he smiled and kept on either way. Malachi stepped into the shop and moved out of the way, then gestured towards the pastries and other baked goods on display.

"Your thoughts?"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie saw her 'father' not smile but there was such a subtle change in his eyes she could see he simply kept it under wraps. She smiled huge and walked with him to look over the pastries and desserts.

"Well, I am tempted something sweet like a honey cake. But perhaps I should have a more savory pie." She knew what he'd prefer, she was certain. She reached into her coin purse and pulled out some coins. "I can buy something for now and later. And I'll get you something too. What would you like?" She turned her head to look up at him patiently so he could look things over before making a decision. "I don't mind you taking things home, you should treat yourself more."
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

A hum sounded from Malachi at the mention of something savory. He did not consume many sweets of his own volition; those he did were typically gifted from well-intentioned parishioners (and more often than not, he gave them away when he could).

His eyes slid away from the pastries to find Nettie instead.

"I don't need that much," he said with a small laugh. Mrs. Higgins certainly made sure there was always food when he needed it, and when he didn't, too. Something for now and later would just be too much for him. "A savory pie will do fine. What are you getting?"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie knew he didn't care about sweets, that was why she suggested it. She wanted them both to enjoy something similar. If the woman desired something sweet, she could return another time and try one.

"I am in the mood for..." she looked over her choices before smiling in delight. "They have individual Steak and kidney pie. How about you?"

She twirled around to face him with a curious look.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Ah, decisions. He had never especially liked making those for himself.

Malachi was quick to avoid having to do so, by answering, "that will do for me as well."

Wrong as it felt to have his niece pay for him, he hadn't brought much of anything with him to insist otherwise. Once he was sure she at least had something to eat, he wouldn't feel as bad about dragging her all over town in (most of) his usual paths.

154 Posts
3 Threads

"I thought you might." Nettie looked very happy as she paid and got the two pies, handing his to him. "We'll both feel better with a little lunch. You can get to working too hard you forget to eat sometimes. Or have you managed to remind yourself better now?" She asks as she looks up at him and finds a spot to sit and eat for a few minutes before they continue their walk.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Malachi allowed himself a smile, small and polite, when the pie was handed over to him. He followed her, content to sit wherever she pleased, and when he dipped his head he looked almost bashful.

"There's a housekeeper here," he informed, "she doesn't let me forget."

That didn't mean he always ate, of course -- it was stranger for him to always have someone around providing it, but he hoped it was enough to soothe whatever worries Nettie might've had in that regard. Malachi sat down, and after a few moments' consideration, opted to make himself eat the little pie now so that his niece could know that he did.

It was more than he deserved. She was more than he'd ever deserved, and he knew he had not always made it easy for her, with his transitory life in the church. But it wasn't a bad thing to know someone cared.