Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [Open] [CW] Clamming Up [Hotels, Pubs, and Accommodations]
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"

“Oh, no!” she threw a gloved hand with a cheek-to-cheek grin. “I was planning more on waiting you out,” Lory laughed, with a little too much gum.

Haha, hahaha … what? He wouldn’t know she meant it.

She schooled her face back into that politely interested countenance … though it looked more school marmish than ‘professional’ this time.

“I think we should switch it up for a few hundred years, and then put your idea in action,” she laughed.

Totally a joke.

“I agree with you, but.”

At this, it was her turn to look a little nervous.

“First off – do you hit women?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah smiled and laughed weakly.

Her next question seemed to suck the small joy in the conversation out of the room. His eyes widened as he looked at her. There was a shame and a helplessness. "I.. I mean.. " He looked around as if to find an answer then back at her. 'I'm a constable. Sometimes women break the law and can be violent. I don't like it.. and I know that sounds like an e-excuse. But.. what else am I supposed to do when they are aggressive? I try so hard to do things peacefully."
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Ruby’s polite smile wavered. Oh no. This one was definitely a wife beater.

“I … see,” she answered, carefully.

Anything she said from here could paint a target on her. Now how did she feign interest enough to lure him into a false sense of security and run …?

“Some women just need a tougher touch,” she laughed, throat constricted. “So, how long are you hoping for the courtship to go?”

In her part of town, it was until someone got pregnant or felt too guilty about the possibility.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah wasn't great at reading people so while he felt she'd became guarded, he wasn't certain. Her line had him look troubled and confused.

"Wait..what? I-it isn't a woman thing. It's when someone tries to murder you and they don't want to be arrested sort of thing. I still have a scar from that night when another bit me."

He shook his head ready to move on but already becoming more uncertain on this tea time. "I..don't know. I don't really care, if you recall my letter. I just need a wife. The details don't matter to me. You can live your life pretty much as you have now. I guess.. I mean depending. But you know, you'll just be married to someone now. So hopefully you come home to bed at night without it looking strange. Maybe come with me to church on Sundays. That sort of thing?"
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Depending on what? The smile grew unsteadier. Only the thick coat of paint on her face kept her sweat from showing … for her face was already gleaming.

Church? Thank God for church! Please don’t let him go to the same church as her family!

“What church?” she asked a little too eagerly.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah could see the worry on her face as much as she pretended to be calm. He sighed and hung his head for a moment before putting down his tea cup. He slowly rose and plastered on a gentle smile. "Sorry for wasting your time. I wish you luck on looking in the future but I will try elsewhere. "
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

The rejection was equal parts welcome and unwelcome. What? It was her job to reject! … Oh, God. Was she getting old? She was going to turn twenty next year. Twenty! In ten years afterward, she’d be this geezer’s age! Had he guessed her profession?

Scratch that. The rejection was entirely unwelcome.

“I- apologize for being a waste of your time,” she echoed, painted lips tight in a thin smile. “Constable Crane.”

At that, her smile finally dropped and she watched his reaction coolly.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

The constable shook his head. "Not at all, you seem like a pleasant young lady. It's me who seems to be the problem as you're obviously bothered. I'm not sure what I've done. I only need someone whom I can trust and is understanding. I don't think that is you, I'm sorry but I have lots of other letters to respond to. Best of luck." He nodded to her and turned to leave.
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Lory wanted a man as much as she wanted the venereal diseases they carried. Yet as this man abandoned her, a woman of prime marrying age, after fussing about so much as whispering her initials lest someone … what? Thought they were involved? That he were desperate enough to do what he was doing, and still found her lacking because she didn’t want to be beaten?

It stung.

It stung, and she was determined to sting back.

She watched him leave silently … picked up a newspaper on her way out, and headed to the post office.