Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Afternoon at the beach to 'Soak Up the Sun' [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Douglas chuckled.  "I am just an artist.  Fads come and gae.  People 'ave decided that the common and everyday kind of life is still unusual in the art world.  I dinna expect tae stay in the popular galleries forever.  I paint and draw to display beauty aroond me and always remember it.  I 'ope you will always stay true tae that."  He indicated the papers of Darius's drawings.  "Though being hired for a few portraits dae fill the pantry and pay for rent.  Nae all are blessed tae be born tae a title."  He admitted.  This was also why he supported the schools of arts and people that are skilled but not able to support themselves.

"I've seen the place.  Perhaps after tea?"  He suggested.  He had not yet visited the Carrington's property, but had heard of the family here and there.  Not enough to become introduced.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'11"

"Talent isn't a fad. That's why we still talk about the masters . Even if you were to fade from the trends, people would still love your art. I think it speaks to them." Darius said passionately , gesticulating with his hands as he did. As he talked about paying bills, his eyes cast down and he slowly gathered the ruffled pages neatly. "Ah, I haven't had to worry about making money. I've paid for models and paint just what I wanted to..mostly."

There was the one painting, a cursed piece bundled up in his room. A gift never delivered to a man he wouldn't be surprised if he'd been cursed. He should throw that painting in the river as it made him sick just thinking about it. But he couldn't risk someone finding it. Perhaps one dark night he'll burn it. But then maybe if ghosts exist, Chris will return to haunt him until his own end.

He looked up quickly at the question. "Oh, oh yes!" He then became aware of himself and curled his fingers around the papers. "Ah! I should go so you can work...and enjoy tea when it's time. But... I'll be there at the house? Or would you prefer I come get you?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas gave the other man a smile.  "Yu, like me then, luckily born intae a 'ouse of means and  lucky tae 'ave a family that wanted us tae follow our dreams. Nothing wrong with hiring models and 'aving enough coin tae dae what yu want.  I 'ave 'ired models a wee bit as well, but now I can be picky about the ones I am 'iring, those that 'ire me for portraits of families or people, and then coming oot 'ere is free. "  He indicated the beach and the people all around doing various tasks.

"Those I draw oot in the common areas, I make it worth me being there.  I dinna interfere their work nor life, but dinna want them thinking that I am making problems for them or oot for mischief, of course."  He didn't mention the clinic that he was sponsoring for Dr. Wells to take care of families in that area.   He did do many things in places where he spent time doing his artwork. 

He thought about the question and gave the man a look.  "Woold yu like tae see some of the works I 'ave been working on?  Why don't yu come tae the cottage I 'ave been renting tae pick me up.  Yu can see the studio that I've set up in the main front room with all the windows."  He suggested.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Every word the man said, he hung onto it with great intensity. He was glad to see the man approved of making use of his resources. He smiled knowingly wishing he could be known for his art. "Well, you have so much talent. You'd have no time if you took everyone who wanted to hire you.." He looked around as the man gestured about the free subjects living their lives around them.

"Oh, yes. I've done some work of people living their lives." He smiled not mentioning he did not get permission of the men sleeping in those sketches, but what no one knew couldn't hurt them, right? He was not aware of the man's donation work, but the man didn't need to know about Darius' lack of interest in giving to the community either.

"To your cottage? Do you.. really mean it??" He looked at the man in awe and nodded. It was like walking into a whole new world, he just imagined the place covered in his artwork put up and seeing an actual piece in the process of being painted. He almost imagined his heart fluttered in excitement of the scene he imagined. The dread knowing he'd have to get a carriage from the house to ride out and pick the man up sunk in slowly, but he'd stomach it for this chance. "I would love to."

280 Posts
8 Threads

"Aye many requests for portraits.  Most are turned doon."  He admitted.  "Some get rather say, *'Awa' n bile your head'" he chuckled.  "Actually, some of them I 'ave said jus that."  He grinned.  "Being an Earl does allow for some rudeness, and being a crazy artist allows for some more, the rest is just me being rude."  

When the man agreed to the plan, he nodded.  "Then it is set.  Dinna expect the studio clean.  The lads try tae **dicht things but the studio is usually a lost cause."  He chuckled.  "I look forward tae yu arrival then."

*Awa' n bile your head - (Away and boil your head): Get lost
**DichtTo dust, or wipe.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius grinned as he listened to him. Oh to be so famous he could insult people! While he had money, he was seen by those in the know as just the spoiled but spineless son who would not stand up to others. "That is incredible, but you have earned that right to be rude to perhaps almost anyone." And yet this guy hadn't been rude to him...yet. Time could tell.

He immediately shook his head, "I don't want to see it cleaned up. I like to see it as you truly live in it. Get a feel for how you operate, if that is alright? My own ah...'studio' is also part my living space so it isn't as neat as I would like, but it isn't very messy. I hope you will ..understand." He worried if perhaps he should hide some of it, but no he would let the man see his room bared in its glory. It was the best insight into his being he could offer. "I am so honored you will give me this chance to see your work."

280 Posts
8 Threads

He laughed out without restraint then responded.  "I 'ave been told that people 'ate me for my disrespect but will pay much for even one of my wee sketches and keep trying to meet me at this or that event."

"I think some of them like to be told straight oot tae their faces sae they can make a scene and 'ave a face like a skelped erse just for the attention.  One actually challenged me tae a duel over one of my saying that I woold nae make his **wallies look more natural.  I dinna paint fake people.  If she dinna want them seen, then I could paint 'er mouth closed, but that was the most I would dae." 

Douglas nodded and understood.  He remembered getting to meet some of the famous artists that he was able to be around thanks to his teachers.  He had been much the same way.  He had wanted to see how they did it all.  Painting and sculpture in creation phases. "I will say the best thing tae dae as soon as yu can is tae set up a place separate from all other things as much as possible.  Back 'ome I have a room that is set aside as my studio and only my personal valet and the head servants are allowed to even knock unless there is a life in danger and even then if it isn't as serious as they say, it might be their own heid in danger."  He chuckled.  "Or so they believe."

*Face like a skelped erse (Face like a slapped ass): Describes a person's face that's red with rage or blushing
**Wallies – False teeth.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shrugged casually and nodded in complete agreement. "I believe you whole-heartedly. Some people just love to fight. And it is silly to want an artist and then not trust their opinion." He smiled slightly.

He nodded as he considered the advice. His mind went back to the inheritance. When did it ever leave his mind totally, recently? "Yeah. I think I might be able to do that." Maybe turn his dead brother's room into a storage room and Robert's into his studio. Would make them both be used for something better in his opinion. "That could be a good idea. " He nodded then smiled. "So..shall I leave you to work. And meet back up at.." he grew nervous with anticipation just saying it. "Your cottage?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

"Aye.  I am looking forward to it."  He picked up his sketchbook again and opened it to the page he had been working on.  The old man and little boy were still at it down near the rocks not far away.  He dug into his jacket pocket and grabbed his charcoal pencil.  Glancing at Darius, he indicated the sacket.

"If yu 'ave some supplies in there, yu are welcome tae join me and dae some sketching 'ere.  It is a big beach.  Plenty of space and things tae find tae draw."  He shrugged.  "Or anytime yu see me oot 'ere, feel free tae join."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius looked over and he was excited to try to draw with the master but shook his head. "I..didn't bring any..and.. it's a walk back. But maybe.... can..we.. do it some time? Draw together?" He asked curiously with his voice slightly quieter even though the other said it was perfectly alright. He smiled slightly looking over his shoulder to work but knew it would be distracting. "I .. will go. And see you soon!" He looked again in the direction of the cottage and turned away to go home.

It was at the time agreed that he came back in the Carrington carriage. He was covering his face with his head down breathing deeply. Every lurch made him ill and an inescapable anxiety filled his body. He was almost there, he knew he could do it he just had to breathe and keep his head clear. When he left the carriage, he leaned against the side to breathe deeply a few and look around. He was pale and wiped his face. He hated carriages.