Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Looking at the Cracks as they Grow [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'11"

Darius gave a slight shrug but smiled, "he seemed to truly think it was. I mean, he won't get paid as well if he lost, I made sure to tell the lawyer I'd reward him well if we won. So I do believe he wouldn't have agreed to spend his time to help if there wasn't a solid chance.." He looked to her for assurance, even though he felt confident in his choice.
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

Height: 5'4''

So it had been Darius. When had he come down to earth enough to realize people were trying to take his money? This could be very helpful. Or very dangerous.

"What lawyer?" she asked helplessly. "When did you speak to him?" She already knew.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shrugged casually and scratched his cheek as he looked away as if he were nervous of being scolded. "Meijer... I met him back in the day when I hung out with Christopher..." his throat felt like it wanted to close when he mentioned his name. He immediately wanted a bottle of wine but instead looked to his mother. "Ah... around the day of the funeral, I think."
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

Who was Christopher again?

"What did he say?" she asked. More importantly, what had Darius agreed with him? And how did she get a hand in it?
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shrugged. "I don't remember, he talked about a lot of things I didn't understand.. and I had been drinking." He waved her off a little. "But he mentioned finding out assets, and the plans for the will. He'll be back soon. We had an agreed meeting."
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

"Come now, Darius, I know you're not the feebleminded boy your father thinks you are." She patted his hand. "I believe you can learn some of these things if you just set your mind to it. There's no need to put yourself down." She smiled at him to show her support.

Then her smile fell. "Even then, even if you do manage to... keep your father from doing harm to us, there is still the matter of Pearl..."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius smiled but he searched Anne's eyes. He knew his life until this moment and how he had been treated. Her words were so supportive and he wanted to believe but the suspicion was still there, the doubt that welled up under the surface. "Oh yes, I will try to make you proud, mother.." He waved her off, "Pearl is nice to me. I am not worried about here, she wants to be her own woman right? Not depend on the family and all, isn't that why she moved out in the first place?" Wasn't it?
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

[[CW: Victim blaming]]

Anne sighed and looked away for a moment as if to hide her disappointment. Then she looked at Darius again with motherly pity and concern. "Our reputation is money, Darius, dear. I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Investors, bankers, clients, they all consider our reputation and the way associating with us with affect theirs. Surely, you should have learned that much about business by now." She shook her head wearily.

"The scandal with Magnus, well..." her lip trembled. She brought her handkerchief up again. "It does not just affect us personally. It will affect our credit, our relationships, your fathers business. And Pearl... Living on her own in a cottage like some common fish lass. Going to the beach unchaperoned to put herself in harm's way. And picking up a string of gutter-bred lovers... Pearl is actively undermining our status and business... and your inheritance, and your father is either insane enough or malicious enough to allow it."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius comforted his mother, taking a hand and patting it as she unleashed her woes upon him. Her words though stirred around in his mind, a small pest that he knew he wouldn't easily get rid of. He looked upon her face, and tried to study it for any hints of the clever mind he was certain was inside.

"Oh mother.. Pearl isn't some dastardly character wanting to bring us to ruin. She just doesn't want to live in a proud way, so if you wanted to , you could tell her you'd let her live if you disowned her without trouble. If the woman is claiming what she wants, then how can she resist? She would truly be on her own as she desires..."

He had no idea if this was true, he was following the narration he'd gotten from the story. His fingers twitched a bit on the frail hand as he eyed the woman before him carefully. "But.. mother.. if reputation and having a good outward persona is so important..."

The dramatic pause was important, to give weight to his words.

"What does this mean, you or father have planned for me?"
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

There was a slight narrowing of the eyes as he spoke about Pearl. It was as if she was seeing Darius for the first time. He was cleverer than she had thought. Someone to be managed carefully, but potentially more useful than she had thought too.

"I have already told you what your father has planned for you. He considers you a failure and incapable of representing the family, and so he means to cut you out of the will and make Pearl and her lover the heirs." She looked at him intently. "I believe you capable of representing the family, with a little help and advice. I know you are smarter than your father thinks. Probably smarter than your siblings, and the most composed. But we mustn't let Pearl and that rat cheat you out of your rightful place."

"Darius..." Was it time? Her husband was getting more and more insufferable. And she would have to act fast before the bastard could make any legal changes final. Was this the endgame? "My dear, now that this responsibility rests on your shoulders and your father has turned his back, there is something important you must know. Something I would have told you long ago, if I weren't afraid of your father. But you must keep it a secret, can you do that?"

She trusted he couldn't.