Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] A Reunion of Sorts [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

21 Posts
1 Thread

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'6"

[cw - talk of racism and sexism]

Penny was exhausted after the long ride from her school into the heart of Whitby. She was riding the back of a hay wagon, which happened to be delivering bales to the train station for the stable that housed horses temporarily. Her mouth was a thin line as she imagined the look on her brother's face. She hopped off the wagon and thanked the man driving it, he gave a terse nod and averted his eyes. At least he'd let her ride in the wagon.

The walk to Tristan's clinic from the edge of town was a long one, but she used the time to think of just what to say to her brother. She found the street number and approached the house in question, then moved up to the door and gave a nice rap.

A pretty young maid answered the door... someone too pretty for words, she thought with a little envy. The maid said, "May I help you?"

"Yes, please, I am looking for my brother, Dr. Tristan Wells. This -is- his abode, is it not?" She was surprised at the fact of the woman's skin tone... It was strange to see that a white woman was working for a black man.

"Oh! Uh, welcome! Come in, let me take you to the parlor and I will find him." Penny followed Pippa into the room in question, but did not sit down. She did set her carpet bag on the floor before moving to the window to look outside.

Meanwhile, Pippa found Tristan in the study and said, "Dr. Wells, you have a visitor... She said you were her brother but didn't give her name."

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

Tristan looked up. Then stood up quickly. Surely Jessica or Penelope would not visit unannounced. This was a very bad moment. "Thank you Pippa. Please let Mr. Fraiser open the door next time. We've talked about this." Then he hurried to the parlor. It looked out upon the busy Flowergate street.

"Penelope. What a delight! I didn't expect you!" He walked over and placed a kiss on her cheek.

21 Posts
1 Thread

Penny kissed him back on his cheek and then gave a big, sisterly hug. When she pulled back, she looked up at him, "Look at you, brother, you look so well! You have servants now? That is wonderful!" And then she took both of his hands in hers and gave a squeeze. "How are you?" He would probably see the carpet bag set on the floor next to the settee.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan looked at the bag. Didn't look too bulky. Perhaps she wasn't here to spend the night. "Thank you, sister, you look well too. Yes, a maid. Please, sit down, one moment." He moved to the door and called out. "Pippa! Would you please bring up some refreshments!" Then he turned back into the room and sat down in an armchair. He crossed his legs. "I've been well. Just been busy with getting the practice running. What brings you here so unexpectedly?"

21 Posts
1 Thread

Pippa was already in the kitchen making tea when Penny had arrived and the pot was screaming by the time she made it to the stove. She missed the order. But then she appeared within minutes of the order, carrying a tray with the teapot and two cups/saucers/etc. Also on the tray was a plate full of cherry scones that were covered with a glaze made with sugar, a small amount of rose water and milk. It was probably the most complicated thing she'd made since becoming maid.

Penny's eyes lit up as the pretty woman brought such delightful treats. "Thank you... Pippa, he said?"

"Yes, Miss Wells," said Pippa, who averted her eyes and quit the room so that they were alone again.

Pen looked up at her brother and grabbed a scone, taking a bite. It was divine. "Where EVER did you find her? I am alright. Do I really need a reason to visit my brother?"

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan chuckled awkwardly. "Miracles do still exist." He wasn't about to relate to her Pippa's background and the story about hiring her. Though he trusted his sister, there was a murderer on the loose and the less people knew in general the better.

He leaned over and put some milk in his tea, before picking up his cup and stirring. She still hadn't told him what she was here for, or how long she would be here. This was really bad timing. They had Mr. Fraiser in the spare bedroom, and more importantly, the home might be a target. "How have you been, Pen? And how are the others?"

21 Posts
1 Thread

Pen took a bite of pastry, famished. Her eyes drifted closed and she barely detected her brother speaking to her. "Hmm? Oh, I've been wonderful, and you? Everyone is just fine..." She took another bite and savored it. "This has to be the best scone I've ever tasted," she murmured after swallowing. "I thought I would come here to town and take stock of what opportunities there might be. Perhaps I can be a teacher. Do you think that would be nice?"

She took a sip of tea.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan did wonder in that moment whether his sister was fine, and whether something was going on. There seemed to be something on her mind. He sipped his tea and considered. "In Whitby? I doubt there's more opportunity here than in Newcastle. Whitby's a small town."

He didn't know how he would feel about her moving here. He often felt rather lonely, and of all his siblings, Penelope was the one he felt closest to. But he was worried for her safety given the situation they were in, and he also rather liked his privacy. He was building up a life for himself. He didn't need a sibling constantly watching him.

21 Posts
1 Thread

"I was thinking about moving here to be closer to you, truth be told, Tris," she said, "Newcastle just doesn't hold my interest. I am up for a challenge. Besides, I think I can help better here than there."

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan felt his lonely little heart warm at that disarming statement, and yet he foresaw problems. He put his tea down and bit the inside of his lip for a moment. "Penny, don't take this the wrong way, please. I am delighted to see you and happy you feel the same way. But, I cannot tell you why, but this is a really bad time for you to be here..."