Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Home again [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

37 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: she/her
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=541
Height: 5’6” standing 4’ 5” in her chair

Jane glanced at her mother, once again thinking this was a bad idea.  Mrs. Ripley glanced at Catherine.  "Such a wonderful idea.  That solves the problem completely.  We could be out of the way and enjoy watching all the arrivals get announced.  Wouldn't that be grand?"  She suggested hoping that Catherine would join in her encouraging Jane to go.

48 Posts
4 Threads

Height: 5'3''

"We would be so happy if you came," Catherine encouraged.

37 Posts
3 Threads

Jane looked between her mother and Catherine.  Then slowly nodded.  "But only until I get tired or I get too much attention my way.  I will not become a distracting issue from you on your special day."  She finally agreed.  A maid came in about then with the tea tray and a plate full of various colorful biscuits.  Jane's maid helped set it up on the coffee table in between the ladies.  Then both maids stepped back.

Mrs. Ripley started to pour.  "Well, with that settled, let's have some tea."  She was beaming at the idea that Jane would get out around people socially again.  Coming home had been her daughter's desire, but Mrs. Ripley did not plan for Jane to become a hermit.  An old maid that might be all that could be there for the young woman, but she could still have a life.

"Milk or sugar, Miss Ennington?"  She asked as she poured.

48 Posts
4 Threads

"That's wonderful," said Catherine, when Miss Ripley agreed to come. She was secretly grateful that the young lady seemed aware of how important the party was to her and was determined not to draw the attention away from her.

"Both, please. Thank you," she answered Mrs. Ripley. "What's brought you back to Whitby, Mrs. Ripley?" she inquired as she watched the woman pour tea.

37 Posts
3 Threads

With a graceful motion, Mrs. Ripley poured the tea adding sugar and milk before handing the saucer with the cup in the center as expected to  Catherine.  She already knew how Jane liked it and did the same for her daughter as she answered the question.

"Actually, it was Jane's request."  She glanced at her daughter fondly.

Jane nodded taking her own cup and indicating with a slight raise of her eyebrow for one of the biscuits as well.  Mrs. Ripley nodded and handed one of the lemon biscuits to add to Jane's saucer.  The elder woman then made her own cup as Jane took over the answer.

"They had basically done all they could for my back.  We have traveled to New York, Japan, China, India, and then the longest in Sweden trying to find a cure."  She wouldn't go into the details of what had been found unless asked.  "I was tired of being so far from home.  I want to live as normally as possible in a place where I know people and the area.  Thankfully, Mama and Papa finally agreed and so we are home."

48 Posts
4 Threads

Catherine took her cup from Mrs. Ripley and thanked her. She held it just the way she had been taught, for clearly there was a right and wrong way to hold a cup and she wouldn't be caught dead holding it the wrong way. "I'm sorry to hear nothing helped. I hope that being home and having the fresh air and sea with offer some relief, at least," she told Miss Ripley. She wanted to ask after all those foreign and exotic places, but she worried that that would be inappropriate, since she knew the Ripleys so little, and clearly Miss Ripley was glad to be back home.

37 Posts
3 Threads

"Oh, it has already."  Jane smiled taking a sip.  "I don't have to worry about this nurse or that doctor coming in to ask if I was feeling anything yet, or trying to tickle my toes which they know I don't feel it.  I just want to have as normal a life as possible. Sitting out on the patio and knowing this is our own place is worth it."

Mrs. Ripley glanced at Catherine, "You should come to visit as often as you would like.  I need to invite your mother soon as well.  We have so much to catch up on.  You have grown up so wonderfully, Miss Ennington.  The last time I saw you, you were quite a lot smaller.   Four years make quite a difference.  I wouldn't have recognized you had not Harding had not told me who was here calling."

"Papa is going to arrange for some horses from a local man.  He said he could buy a small carriage for me, so I could move around the property, I do still have my hands after all."  She nodded firmly.  She had given up on feeling from the waist down but after so many years of depression and feeling sorry for herself, some of the nuns had really helped her look at life differently. "Perhaps you'd like to go for a ride with me around the area?"

48 Posts
4 Threads

Catherine smiled at Mrs. Ripley. "You are very kind, Mrs. Ripley. I am sure mama would be happy to visit or receive you at our home." She turned back to Miss Ripley. "If it would be possible for you, why don't you join me sometime to Young Ladies Society Against Material Want and Malnutrition? I go whenever my health permits. Most the young ladies in the neighbourhood are part of it. We come up with strategies to alleviate poverty in Whitby, especially for the children. The other day we went to a local school and provided lunch for the children of unemployed parents."

37 Posts
3 Threads

Jane set the biscuit she had nibbling back on the saucer.  "Oh, that sounds lovely.  I so do want to be helpful and part of making life better for others like Mama does with her groups.  Do let me know when to arrive and I will be there."  She agreed.

Mrs. Ripley was listening letting the younger ladies visit enjoying the friendship that seems to be growing.  It was a parent's worst nightmare to see one of their children seemingly permanently injured and not being able to help make it better for them.  She and her husband had done all they could to find a cure or treatment.  It had been getting back into the music with a piano back in Sweden with the nuns that had brought that heart they knew was in Jane back alive.  Now, this would improve things all the more.

48 Posts
4 Threads

"Our next meeting is Wednesday, next week," said Catherine, her ego happily flattered by the idea that she would be a 'guide' to the other young lady. "If you like, we can drive by your house and pick you up." She lifted her cup and sipped her tea.