Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Home again [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

37 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: she/her
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=541
Height: 5’6” standing 4’ 5” in her chair

Jane shook her head again.  "Not at all.  Harding would have introduced you had he seen me out her rather than where I was supposed to be in the parlor."  She thought a moment and then nodded.  "Oh, really? St. Agnes? I spent most of my time either with the horses or at one of the pianos."  She explained.  She looked at the young woman and figured she might be a bit older than Miss Ennington.

"When did you graduate?"  She asked curiously with interest.  "I didn't get to finish there."  She indicated the chair.  "I finished with private tutors.  I missed being around the other girls.  And the horses."  She added.

48 Posts
4 Threads

Height: 5'3''

"I heard you left," said Catherine, folding her hands in her lap. It was an understatement. The school had been buzzing with about what had happened to poor Jane Ripley. "I had to leave school myself recently due to poor health, but papa and mama say they believe I was quite finished anyway." Why waste her best years in school when she was already a refined young lady? Keeping her hidden away at school would only give her fewer years to find a good husband.

37 Posts
3 Threads

She gave a light chuckle.  "I would imagine so.  If I remember correctly, gossip was more fun than embroidery."

"I wrote to the others that were in my classes.  Though mainly those that were close to me in the riding group kept it up."  She admitted, though to be honest many of them slowly stopped writing her back about a year ago.

Mrs. Ripley about then came into the parlor looking for the guest that Harding had just announced to her, but didn't see her until she heard the voices out on the patio. "Oh, Miss Ennington, I am so sorry to keep you waiting.  Please let me offer you some tea and biscuits."  The older woman was obviously Jane's mother.  Her looks were very similar just with brown hair with a hint of gray.

"Miss Ennington, this is my mother, Mrs. Ripley."  Jane introduced the younger woman to the older woman.

48 Posts
4 Threads

Catherine rose when Mrs. Ripley entered. "Thank you, Mrs. Ripley," she said. "But please don't trouble yourself. I won't be long." She wouldn't dream of imposing on people she barely knew.

37 Posts
3 Threads

Jane glanced at the other young woman.  "Oh, please do stay."  She had not had many people her own age in some time.  At the convent, it had been mainly very old women, well very old to her opinion.  At the hospital is was mainly doctors and older nurses.  With her parents, it had been their social friends.  So, seeing someone even close to her own age was lovely.

The idea that the young woman had come to visit only just to leave would seem odd.  Jane was not thinking of that at the moment though.  Mrs. Ripley indicated the girl sit back down.  She joined the young women sitting at another of the chairs.

"I haven't been able to get in contact with your mother since we returned.  I let the charity leaders know I was back right away, of course, so I go get busy helping them again. and was working on sending cards to the other ladies today.  I am so glad for you to visit.  I figure the girls have been sharing the information of Jane's returning home."  She smiled at her daughter.  "I remember how fast word travels at your ages."  She turned back to Catherine with a pleasant expression.  "You have grown into quite a lovely young woman.  Should be time to have your debut soon shouldn't it?"  She asked politely.

48 Posts
4 Threads

Catherine had been taught that a social call should be between fifteen and thirty minutes and that it was rude to stay longer. But since this was her last and Mrs. Ripley invited her to stay, she sat down. "Thank you. You are very kind. In that case, I would love some tea, thank you." She smiled at Mrs. Ripley. "My debut will be next Saturday. Well, it will be a large ball, but we will also celebrate my eighteenth birthday. If we had known you were coming back, we would have already invited you. I will see that you will still receive an invitation."

37 Posts
3 Threads

Jane smiled hearing that Catherine would be staying for tea.  "Wonderful."  She turned to motion to her maid who in turn went to pull the bell for another maid to take care of it.  It was only a moment later when a maid came in to be told the request quietly by Jane's maid.

That was taken care of as Mrs. Ripley and Jane listened to the news about the ball.  Mrs. Ripley glanced at Jane hoping the young woman would accept the invitation.  Jane had not gone to any social events since her accident, only small dinners that were close friends or the nuns back in Sweden. 

Jane loved hearing about the ball, but her expression made it clear that she wasn't sure she would be a good guest for a festive event.  She glanced at the wheels.  "Thank you so much, but are you sure you would want me there for your special day?  The chair ...."  She went softly to silence.  "I so know it would be lovely and all the people in dresses and dancing."  She smiled trying not to focus on the chair.

48 Posts
4 Threads

[CW: Ableism]

There was a small part of Cathy that wondered whether a girl in a wheelchair, especially one who had been away for so long would not draw the attention away from her. She was going to be introduced to all the Lords, who would probably find her attractive enough to want to get to know her better. She didn't like the idea of someone standing in her spotlight on such an important occasion. But Miss Ripley would certainly not be a rival on the marriage market even if she would draw the attention. And Catherine knew that pettiness and unkindness did not become a lady.

She smiled. "Even if you can't dance with us, we can still enjoy your company, Miss Ripley. Do say you'll come. I'll make sure my sisters will introduce you to people, so you needn't feel out of place or alone. Everybody worth knowing will be there."

37 Posts
3 Threads

Mrs. Ripley gave Catherine a grateful glance then looked to her daughter.  "We could have the seamstress come to make up a nice dress for you to wear." 

Jane looked at Catherine and then her mother.  The doubt was there in her eyes and a bit of fear.  She liked to visit, but she had not yet gone into any social events.  "Perhaps for a short time but not the whole evening."  She said softly with a strong hint of uncertainty. 

"Would I be able to roll in the ballroom from the bottom floor?  I would not want anyone to carry me in."  She added with a concerned look to Catherine.

48 Posts
4 Threads

Catherine thought. "The ballroom is on the ground floor, but there are steps up to the entrance." She bit her lip for a moment and then remembered that that was a bad habit and stopped. "I suppose you could come early. Then no one would have to see you carried in..."