Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Uncertain Moments In Life [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

327 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'4"

She was certain of a few things right at that moment as the carriage rolled to a stop in front of home. Or what would be home for only another hour, perhaps, if things went the way she was certain they were going to go. She had a lot of answering to do to both men, for one had grown curious and the other had no idea to what extent things had snowballed. What she wasn't certain of was what was going to happen next.

Assuming he helped her out of the carriage, she made her way carefully into the house, leading the earl inside and gesturing, with her head for him to follow her through the house until they located Tristan. "There is something you should know and... both of you should," she said as they moved through the house toward the Study where she thought he might be.

Once at the door, she rapped lightly on the frame to get his attention. "His Lordship is here... He has urged me to come to you." Her voice was soft and a little timid. She was wringing her hands nervously.
[Image: Pippa1.png]

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

Tristan sat at his desk, reading one of the books that were normally locked away. There were others on the desk as well, with titles such as 'Psychopathia Sexualis: eine Klinisch-Forensische Studie', 'Forschungen über das Räthsel der mannmännlichen Liebe', and 'Araxes: Ruf nach Befreiung der Urningsnatur vom Strafgesetz'. There were several papers lying about with single paragraphs of handwritten text, and occasionally, Tristan penned down some notes in a notebook, or added some lines to one of the papers. On the corner of the desk lay a messy pile of newspaper clippings about the trial against Oscar Wilde and journalistic commentaries.

For the past few weeks or so, Tristan had obsessively read every article he could find on the trial and every commentary in its aftermath. That terrible business had eaten away at him, until he had failed to eat, failed to sleep, and had been distracted and irritable during the day. He couldn't stop thinking about it, even though it made him sick to imagine Oscar Wilde humiliated and imprisoned.

And then he had picked up his studies and private writing with a renewed vigour, channeling all that upset into this project that made him feel - he had to believe it - that he could do something.

He had been so obsessed with news on the Oscar Wilde business, that he had not read any other news, and had missed an article on a certain missing heiress. And now he sat so engrossed in his studies, that he did not hear Pippa speak or move through the house, until she rapped on the frame of his open study door. "Pippa!" he called out, as he nearly jumped out of his seat.

Flustered, he threw some of the papers over his books, realized that exposed other books and the clippings, moved to the door instead, ushered Pippa and Douglas out of the way, stepped out, and closed the door behind him. "Wh-... Sorry... What's wrong?" he asked in a rather unsteady voice, for he hadn't really listened.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Douglas handed Pip down from the carriage and then paid the driver again and gave him a tip for the extra time he had spent waiting on them.  Then he followed Pip to the house and inside closing the door of the cottage behind them.  He gave Pip a curious look when she said there was something to tell them both.  What more could there be?

He nodded to Tristan but the way his friend acted there had him raised a brow.  "She 'as been ill and 'ad a wee bit of unhappy or per'aps news causing 'er some emotional trauma that came up in an older newspaper that I found oot.  If yu are nae tae busy with a patient, we should talk.  And I think she is needing something for an illness.  She fainted earlier and..." he wasn't sure how to say it in a polite manner.  "she was physically ill as well."  He finally stated. 

"But we dae need tae talk aboot this situation that she is in.  I feel yu should know aboot it, sae after she fainted I brought 'er 'ere in a hired carriage."

327 Posts
9 Threads

There was no going back now. She looked down and continued to wring her hands, apprehension rearing its ugly head. She could feel the edges of her mind as it blurred her vision a moment and she looked as if she were about to faint again. "I'm sure the news had something to do with my weak constitution." But really, she was starting to think about things and the timing of them all. But then, there was something almost feverish in the good doctor's eyes and she gave pause.

"Are you alright, Doctor Wells?"

Her question also hopefully delayed the inevitable just a little bit, but she knew that was a feeble thought to be had at best knowing Tristan's propensity for keening in on things, she knew she wasn't getting off for free.

704 Posts
11 Threads

"Yes. Yes, I'm fine," Tristan said quickly. "But I'm sorry to hear you're not. Please come through here to the drawing room. There. Sit on the sofa. Lie down if that's easier." He turned to Douglas. "Thank you for bringing her home."

He wondered what this newspaper thing was and realized that he had no idea what was going on in the world at the moment, so busy had he been with his single topic of interest. Well, the suspense would have to go on a little longer. He first had to make sure Pippa was physically alright. "How are you feeling now, Pippa? Are you still faint? Shall I get you some water, or tea?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas nodded.  "I am glad I was able tae dae sae.  Though I may 'ave brought it on, showing 'er the article I found."  He still had it in his pocket.  "There seemed to be a story aboot an 'eiress missing."  He paused not mention about the murdered family, with a quick glance at Pip. 

"The drawing with the story looked a might like Miss Danes 'ere."  He didn't bring it out yet, as the first focus should be on Pip's health.  "It isnae a very good drawing but enough of a similarity that I 'appen tae bump intae 'er at the store and asked 'er oot for tea at the local cafe."  It had been public enough that she hadn't been alone with him other than in the carriage. 

"It was after we talked aboot it a bit that she became sickly."  He explained figuring that Tristan needed to know what happened to be able to decide what symptoms were.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"But I have been tired..." she said as they moved to the drawing room and she moved to lie down on the couch. Even still, she sent a concerned look toward the doctor and then to the Earl. With a resigned sigh, she sat back up and looked at Tristan. She swallowed audibly and said, "What do you think it could be?"

704 Posts
11 Threads

[CW: Sexism]

When Pippa didn't seem interested in drinking anything, Tristan sat down in a chair and gestured for Douglas to do the same. He glanced at his friend when the article about an heiress was mentioned. Tristan had wondered how a girl born in wealth could suddenly become penniless just because her family had died. But Pippa had been vague about it - purposely so it seemed. Was that mystery about to be solved at last?

When the girl suddenly sat up, Tristan held up his hand to urge her to slow down. The last thing they needed was for her to faint all over. "Tiredness can be caused by all sorts of things. In your case, it might be an expression of delayed grief. Not to mention the fact that you are still adapting to a life far more physically demanding than what you are used to. As for your reactions today, it seems you got a shock..." So many women tended to faint under an excess of emotion. Tristan's own theory was that it was an innate defense mechanism in the female body, of shutting down in order to protect a woman's more delicate constitution from more stress than it could handle.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas nodded, thinking it made total sense even to his less medically educated mind.  He had seen various socialite women faint for this or that and considered it a fake action for attention.  However, some it had been quite real, like today with Pip.  It was that more ladies of that status fainted more than the women that were more common and worked to take care of their husbands and children.  Though likely those women were just made up of stronger stuff.  One of the benefits of not being a socialite.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"I don't just faint at bad news..." she remarked. "Or become ill." She sighed, knowing she was made of stronger stuff than that. She was delaying the inevitable. But finally she said, "Yes, show him the paper please..." She shook her head and stood up, pacing. She turned to Douglas then and said, "You're right. There is a man who wanted the fortune. And he sent me a letter telling me he was going to find me and do the same." She paused and stuck the tip of her thumb into her mouth.

For a moment, she stood like that.