Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Uncertain Moments In Life [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Douglas was privately celebrating the bravery Pip had to follow her needs.  Though his concern for her safety tampered that down.  "It's a better idea tae get tae know someone before yu bed them lass.  At least, if yu are nae going tae marry the man."  He gave Tristan a look with a shrug.  "Its 'er private life..." he paused with a quirk.  "I've been 'friendly' with a few lasses in my life.  I dinna think any less for them for being with me."

He then looked at Pip.  "Though yu should be more careful.  Even withoot yur personal danger situation, there are some blokes oot there that are nae careful and a lass 'as more tae think aboot with being 'friendly'."  He paused each time he used her term for it a quirk of the corner of his lips.  "A bairn is nae something that can be hidden vera easily and the bloke is, as the doctor said, they are nae always willing tae take responsibility of the bairn and marrying yu."

327 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'4"

"I hardly think it... ruination, to turn to another person for comfort!" She cried out and then burst into tears, "Do you even know what it is like to live with you? Do you not know how lonely it has been? I didn't just want the company, I needed it." And then she turned to Douglas and said, "And as far as Vi-- he goes, he has done nothing but been generous and kind to me. He bought me a whole menu of chocolate items just to try them. I found it sweet and at the time, I stopped thinking about what everyone else expected of me and what I really needed. And he, right now," she looked between the men, "as scandalizing at this is, is the only balm that has soothed the very burns that wounded my heart in the first place. He is the only one," and she was getting louder and sobbing a little as she spoke, "Since my family died, who has ever just given to me and not asked for anything in return. And I am not asking for his love or commitment to me."
[Image: Pippa1.png]

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

Tristan glanced at Douglas. "But you're not my maid, and its different for a man," Tristan reminded him. He was getting more and more irritated, even though he knew it would do little good. Pippa's accusation felt unfair. What was so bad about living with him?! He had offered her a job that she had no skill in, just to keep her off the streets, and he believed that he treated her friendlier and with more patience than most people treated their maid! Had she expected to be invited to the dinner table or something? He drank some of his brandy and grimaced. "You suffered a terrible loss that no one should have to suffer. We just mean that you shouldn't make your suffering greater by getting yourself into more trouble."

280 Posts
8 Threads

"Lass, there are proprieties, and as yu were raised as a lady, then yu know that, I will give the doctor that.  There is more results for a lass getting comfort than a mon.  Though keeping it private, many do as yu 'ave.  Likely for the same reason.  Loneliness, excitement, tae just break the rules for to thumb off someone that is in authority on them.  Though, lass, it is nae as bit a result for a mon.  Yes, it could ruin yu very easily should even a word of this get ootside this 'ouse, and yu know it."

Her description of the man and the thing with the chocolate, he would have to remember that one.  "Men will give gifts tae get lots from a lass, including under the skirts."  He raised a brow.  "If yur reputation is lost, will 'e stand by yu and make it right?"

He looked to Tristan.  "It's done, and likely," he gave her a look then back to Tristan, "and likely will be done again from the sounds of it.  We still 'ave this dangerous mon and this article that likely will get back tae 'im where she is.   Well, that and 'er being sick."  He suddenly got the idea of what Tristan might have been hinting earlier with the words about pregnancy.  "Just 'ow long.... I mean .... could she sick from ... " he got a bit doubted about how to ask.

327 Posts
9 Threads

That was what broke her. She looked down and just started to stuff her fist into her mouth, turning red. Then she finally just started yelling in her pain and frustration, "No, neither of you understand! I had nothing left to give except for that and it was my choice to make, not yours!" She slammed her hand into her left breast so hard that one could hear it and she said softer, "I am grateful for your help, Dr. Wells, you've been kind and generous to me in these last months, but you cannot give me companionship. You cannot. You cannot be my friend if you are my employer." She paused meaningfully, "And you cannot give me the kind of feeling I crave." She was panting but her voice had evened out, if shaky. She tried to search his eyes then and said, "I know you know how I feel even if you don't think you do."

Then she turned to Douglas, "Yes, I knew better as a lady, but as a person who hurts very deeply right now, the need to feel some form of joy in this cruelty that has been thrust upon me by someone else's hand, outweighed the bad. If I happen to be pregnant, then -I- will have to take responsibility. Not you... Not Dr. Wells. Me. I know the gravity of the situation. Neither of you have any obligation to help me."

And then to both of them, "The man I think did my family in is in Boston. I drew him." She left the room for a long moment, headed up to her room, and then came down with her drawing pad. "I don't recall his name because he was always overseas until recently and papa did not discuss business with the womenfolk. But he was someone my father must have trusted because he allowed him in the house and I could remember what a strikingly ugly fellow he is." And the drawing was almost lifelike when she handed it over, so detailed it was.

She dropped the pad by accident and it fell open to a leaflet where she had drawn her lover while he was smiling, dimples and all. If one of the two men picked up the pad and flipped through, there were some disturbingly detailed dark pictures of her nightmares, there was a picture of Tristan, a picture of Douglas, and even a picture of the woman from the library among others.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan nodded in agreement with Douglas, though his friend spoke rather more explicitly that Tristan would have chosen to and it made him slightly uncomfortable. And then came the question about the pregnancy, something Tristan himself had been increasingly worried about. But before he could answer, Pippa had another emotional outburst.

His eyebrows knitted together when she suggested that he knew the loneliness she spoke of. That was out of line and uncalled for! Besides, he was fine, actually. He wasn't that lonely!

She ran off, and Tristan turned to Douglas. "I... am so sorry for all this, Douglas. I didn't mean for you to be confronted with... such a display of impropriety. I did explicitly say 'no followers' when I advertised the position. But I'm afraid the girl is... unstable. Ill, in a way. And she'll need protection in more than one way. I suppose..."

He shut up, because Pippa returned. Before he could see the image, Pippa dropped the pad, and Tristan picked it up on the page where she had drawn her lover. "I wouldn't call him handsome, but he doesn't look hideous to me," he commented with a critical frown. He handed the notepad to Douglas. "Do you know what kind of business he did with your father?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas shook his head.  "The lass is in need of assistance, aye.  I was the one that brought the newspaper tae 'er attention sae, I could nae leave 'er in danger.  Then she was ill.  What is a mon tae dae?   I dinna want this lass tae be on 'er own, Tristan.  This mon could follow 'er 'ere."  He was concerned.  " 'eiress or maid, a lass should nae be in fear of 'er life.  And if she is ill in a mental way, then yu know more on that than I dae."

Then when Pip returned with the pad, he took the image that Tristan had been looking at (Viktre).  It was a well done drawing, but he did not see fear in that drawing.  "She 'as emotion in this drawing, Tristan, but it is nae fear."  He glanced at Pip.  "Yu 'ave talent lass.  Is this yur fisherman?"  He opened it through other pages.  A raised brow as he looked at each, at his own image he chuckled.   Then he got to some of the nightmare images and closed his eyes understanding the urge to get those images out of the brain.  Then to a man that he could almost feel the fear.  "Aye, this one....?"  He held it up so show it to Pip.  "This the one yu said might be the bloke that did ...the crimes tae yur family?"

327 Posts
9 Threads

She almost snatched the pad away from Tristan, especially when he mentioned Viktre's looks. She got a little puffed up, "That isn't..." And then Douglas had the pad. Then she said reluctantly, "Yes... that is the fisherman." She pressed her lips together and then said when he came to the man in question, "And that one is the man who I think killed my family." She sighed and looked at both men then.

"Perhaps I should go... pack my things." Her shoulders sagged. "I'm sorry, Doctor Wells, for my behavior."

704 Posts
11 Threads

Oops. Wrong dude. Tristan bit his tongue as if to make up for the time when he should have. He stared at the images as Douglas flipped through them, a little surprised when he saw himself and vainly wondering if his nose really did look like that. Luckily his attention was drawn by the image of the possible killer. Tristan stared hard, as if trying to see the actual face through the drawing.

But then Pippa spoke again. He turned to her and frowned. "Certainly not. I will not deny that I am disappointed, Pippa, but I'm not turning you out with a possible murderer on the loose looking for you. Lord Gordon was right. We must protect you and we will."

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas had been about to reply to Pip's suggestion to leave when Tristan spoke out.  He should have known that his friend would say such a thing.  He looked to Pip.  "Yu 'ave the two of us and my two lads tae keep yu safe.  I think we should visit with yur fisherman as 'e should be made alerted of this situation as 'e could be a 'elp in watching o'er yu as well."

He looked to Tristan.  "We should all memorize that image and if we see 'im we get 'er tae safety.  I dinna know what the police could dae unless the mon does violence or definitely is found tae be the one that threatened 'er.  But we can keep 'er safe."