Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Work training [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

170 Posts
4 Threads

Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=454
Height: 5'1"

Nat nodded but kept her face down on her work.  She would have to figure out somehow to get a private wash without Jimmy being around.  She got her face natural again and finished the last bit of the hay, and laid the rake back where it was supposed to go.

"I think I've got quite a hunger."  She grinned looking at him as she took off the overall.  Then followed him to the house but headed toward the kitchen door.  She opened the door and looked around to greet Jenny.

67 Posts
0 Threads

"There you are. Yer tea is ready." Jenny nodded at the table where there were three plates of pie and mash waiting. "I'll join ye in a moment." She carried two pans into the main house before returning and closing the door behind her. "Is Jimmy not with ye?" Jenny asked as she moved over to the scullery to wash her hands.

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat shook her head.  He wasn't working with us in the barn.  She went to the sink to wash her hands and then went to sit down at the table.  She looked at the meal and sniffed.  It smelled great.  She took a bite and closed her eyes with enjoyment.  After work, she was always hungry but rarely had such a fine plate of food.  "This is really good.  Thank you."

67 Posts
0 Threads

Jenny nodded. She assumed her brother was in trouble, but then, it did seem he had been very unkind.

She wrinkled her nose when she noticed Nat digging in at the earliest opportunity. "Don't you pray first? After all, we could be going hungry." She sat down, folded her hands, closed her eyes, and said a little Sunday school type of prayer. She opened her eyes. "There. I suppose you haven't been taught much religion, living on the streets."

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat paused quickly and bowed her head quietly with her hands folded before the plate.  It had been a long time since she had prayed.  After Jenny finished, she glanced over to reply.  "I remember praying with my parents.  But after they were killed, I guess I just stopped.  I didn't...."  She reached for the fork again.  "Didn't seem it had helped."  She shrugged and took a bite.  After chewing a bit and swallowing, she continued.  "I didn't let myself think about it.  Why do you pray?"  She knew why she had stopped, but wondered if she should start up again.

67 Posts
0 Threads

Jenny's spoon paused between her plate and mouth. She had never asked herself that question. She had been taught to pray from early childhood on, and it was nearly impossible imagine that she wouldn't. She lowered her spoon. "Because it's right..." she stated in a tone that suggested Nat was foolish to even ask, masking the fact that the question had rather confused Jenny. "All people should pray, because... well... because God made us and saved us and don't you want to go to heaven when you die?"

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat thought about it a few moments as she ate.  That didn't seem to be enough to justify doing it.  It hadn't saved her parents.  Though maybe they were in Heaven.  She would want to be with them.  "I would want to be there if my folks were there, sure.  But if the praying didn't keep them safe and didn't put them in Heaven, I don't know if I think it is worth it."  She reasoned finally after a few bites.  "They were good people and helped people.  Prayed and went to church.  They took me every Sunday morning."  She explained her thought about why she thought her parents were good people.  

They were good decent people.  Never cheated on what the shop gave people for things brought in or that they ended selling.  Even held things brought in a bit longer when they knew the people were close to paying it off.

67 Posts
0 Threads

Jenny was quite shocked. Everyone she knew prayed and went to church and she had never met anyone who questioned it before. But she reminded herself that Nat hadn't had anyone to teach him in the faith before. And suddenly she decided that she would take on the role of his teacher. She rather fancied the idea of having a pupil. "I'm sure your parents are in heaven if they prayed and were good people. So you must pray too, so you can see them again one day."

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat thought about it.  They had been good people.  The men that killed them and nearly had killed her were not.  "I want the ones that killed my folks to die though.  I don't know if I am a good person."  She admitted though she had spent time helping others along the streets old and young, herself even when she needed food and things as well.  "I've stolen to eat and help others eat.  So, I suppose I am not someone that they would want in Heaven."

67 Posts
0 Threads

Jenny found herself conflicted. She should tell Nat that they should forgive those who had sinned against them, but she couldn't. She too had hated and still sometimes hated the people who had been responsible for the mine that had collapsed on her father and brothers, and in those dark hours of the night, where she lay sobbing alone, she had wished terrible things on them. There had never been justice. And even then, in her family's case it had been death by negligence. In Nat's case, it had been slaughter. No, she could not reproach him for his words without condemning herself.

Instead, she ignored it, poked her food, and finally answered: "Stealing is wrong, but sinners can be forgiven. Ye 'ave to pray, and tell God yer sins and ask 'im to forgive ye." She quickly put some food in her mouth. Being a teacher was rather distracting.