Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Work training [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

170 Posts
4 Threads

Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=454
Height: 5'1"

She kind of agreed, but she was afraid she was forgetting what it was like to be a girl.   She did want to be herself again someday.  When asked about her future, she shrugged.  "Likely back to Whitby, unless Mr. Appleton spreads it around about my secret.  If that happens, then likely to another town and start again as a young boy."  She wiped her eyes and sniffed, the tears finally stopping.
Farmer's wife

290 Posts
10 Threads

"He doesn't have enough people to talk to," Mrs. Appleton whispered. She tiptoed even closer and sat down in an armchair. Then she reached out and shortly reached Nat's hand. "I'm sorry."

Suddenly there was a quiet creaking noise upstairs as if someone stirred. The girl sat up startled and looked towards the stairs, but relaxed when it wasn't followed by any other noise.

170 Posts
4 Threads

"That will help."  She managed finally.  "Thanks.  Everyone seems to like it here.  You with the new baby and all must be tiring."  She had not yet seen the baby but had heard the cries every once in a while.  The woman though didn't seem to act like the folks she had seen with a new baby.  Though the family she had stayed with while healing was tired a lot with several children.
Farmer's wife

290 Posts
10 Threads

"Not everyone..." she muttered, looking down. She sucked in her lower lip and her hands folded around the candle holder. She swallowed, then set the candle down on the low table nearby and looked at Nat. Her own eyes had now gone teary. "If I give you sum't ye could sell, would ye deliver a letter for me in Whitby?"

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat gave a surprised glance to Mrs. Appleton.  "You don't like it here?"  Then at the other request, she nodded.  "Sure.  I can do that."
Farmer's wife

290 Posts
10 Threads

She shook her head slowly, but before she could say anything there was a creaking noise upstairs and the a door opening. Mrs. Appleton's eyes darted to the staircase and her hands clenched to fists in her lap.

Mr. Appleton came down the stairs. He frowned at the sight. "Alice," he said sharply. "You should be in bed." The words came out with force, accusingly. Then he looked at Nat. "And what's your business keepin' 'er up in the middle of the night?"

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat glanced between the two of them.  Something was not right there.  Was Mrs. Appleton scared of him?  She bit her bottom lips.  "I was crying, she was being kind.  That is all.  I didn't ask her to help me or anything, she was just asking if I was okay."
Farmer's wife

290 Posts
10 Threads

Mrs. Appleton looked from her husband to Nat. Then she reached out and placed her hand on Nat's. "I think she should stay."

"You have some nerve, makin' demands," breathed Tobias.

Mrs. Appleton lifted her chin a little. "She could look after me. She makes me feel better already."

"You have Jenny to look after you. Now head right to bed." Then Mr. Appleton glanced back in Nat's direction. "I don't employ dishonest people."

170 Posts
4 Threads

Nat glanced at the other woman with a wide look of surprise and then gratefulness. The hope peeked back at her, then dashed with the man's words.  The batter back and forth had her holding her breath wondering who would win.

"Oh, I would be a good companion for her.  I am educated and I will remember how to behave like a proper young lady.  I remember how it was then, and my mum was quite proper."  She added that last thinking of her mother.  "I even have a dress that I found at a church charity bin.  It needs to be ironed but it looked like it would fit me."  She had gotten it about a year after arriving in Whitby when she had started thinking it would be a place to plant her roots if she could save enough to rent a place and get a proper job as a woman.

Then that last comment from Mr. Appleton made her face drop again.  "I have been honest since I came here other than being a girl and my age.  I worked hard, and showed at the school just how much I knew, though I do have my certification if you need it.  Now that you know about me, I can show it to you.  I only hid the other two things because I wasn't sure about you yet.  I was protecting myself from bad folks that I told you about hearing back on the streets."  She gave a hint of a spine.  She had it, but picked her fights and when to run off to the alleys to hide.

744 Posts
16 Threads

"What do you think this is?" Mr. Appleton snapped at Nat. "Some fine estate with lady's maids? Fine, so you had yer reasons to lie. But we've no need for another maid. We have Jenny. And you," he added, turning to Alice with all the cooped up anger climaxing, "You think only of yourself. You want to be looked after, but ye won't even go near yer own bairn. Ye refuse to leave yer room because yer too sick, and then ye go sneakin' around the house at night. Ye know what yer nonsense costs me already? Don't ye even think of making demands. Now go to yer room!"

Upstairs, the baby began to cry again.

Mrs. Appleton looked straight at her husband. She didn't stir, despite his orders, but her cold, sweaty hand wrapped around Nat's tightly.