Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Finding a good match for the Vaughn family [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

169 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=372
Height: 6'8"

Bella nodded and indicated the basket, "I've got to get this to the pantry.  Nice to meet you, ma'am."  She headed that direction just as Mrs. Pearson returned from within the inner portion of the house.

"Mr. Vaughn is in his office.  He is looking forward to meeting you."  Mrs. Pearson had reported the information she had gathered and her recommendation for a probation hiring of the young widow.  "Come with me, please."  She smiled leading the way through the hall to the front of the house not from where Delilah had come in.  The office was filled with books and a whole two sections were on various breeds of horses and different books on caring for horses and training them.   There was another section about Texas and the United States right next to a section about England and Scotland.  He had really studied up about his work and his possible clients. 

The desk was neat but had ledgers and various stacks of letters from former clients and possibly new clients wanting either advice, gratitude, or more purchases.  Lorn wore a denim jacket and thick blue button-down shirt under it along with jeans and black boots.  His hat was hanging on the coat tree near the door along with others of the same style.  So, his white hair was clearly seen, though he did not look old enough to have white hair.  His face was young but not soft.  He worked outside most of the time, thus his outfit at the present.

When Mrs. Pearson returned to the office, Lorn stood up and moved around the side of his desk to greet Mrs. O'Conner.  Mrs. Pearson introduced them.  "Mr. Vaughn, this is Mrs. O'Conner the young lady that I mentioned to you."  She then turned to Delilah, "Mrs. O'Connor, this is my employer, Mr. Vaughn."

102 Posts
0 Threads

Pronouns: She/her/hers
Height: 5'1"

She nodded as the woman said she had things to do, and then she stood when Mrs. Pearson came back with the employer. She ave a quick curtsy. "Pleasure ta make yer acquaintance," she said and reached out for a handshake.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn shook her hand with a firm rough hand.  Then he extended that same hand to a nearby thick wooden chair that was more of a western-style design as he had brought the office furniture from Texas.  It had been a gift from his parents when he had married his now late wife.  "Please have a seat."

He had a Texan accent and a baritone voice.  Once she sat down, he would sit beside her in the matching chair, rather than going back behind his desk.  Mrs. Pearson headed out and closed the door behind herself.  Lorn smiled at Delilah.  "So, Mrs. Pearson thinks you would be a good match for us and we should give you a probational week to give her time to make contact with those in her recommendations.  I trust her completely, but there are a few questions I have and to allow me to get to know you a bit myself.  I am sure you can understand that."

102 Posts
0 Threads

"I wouldn't expect any less, sir," she said politely as she sat where indicated after the handshake. She smoothed her hands down her lap primly and gave him a charismatic smile. "I must say, ye and yer intended are very lucky ta have such a wonderful abode and I would be proud ta serve ye if ye'll have me." She gestured to her surroundings and then folded her hands in her lap.

169 Posts
5 Threads

He gave a gracious nod.  "Thank you.  My wife-to-be is to make some more masculine changes but has served me well for the few years my daughter and I have been here."  He paused after glancing around at the few things he had chosen for this room when he had moved in.  This room would basically stay as it was his office/study.

Looking back at her as one that was seeking information about a person's characteristics.  "You know that I am to marry the woman here that came in as my laundress.  She is a widow of twins, and we will become a true family with her children are mine and my adopted daughter will be hers."  He didn't go into the adoption story of his late wife just yet, she didn't need to know it at that time.  She would hear about it if she began to work for them.  "I will expect each employee to look at her and treat her as the lady of the house.  I know that even in Texas that could be an issue for some but I've found there is a big issue for that in England.  I will not tolerate any smear or rudeness toward Mrs. Calloway.  Will you have any issue with this?"

102 Posts
0 Threads

"Oh, no. I do not have an issue wit' that at all, sir," she said with wide eyes. "Why, I loathe gossip. I, too, am a widow and know what it is like ta be subject of vicious rumors people tell. I don't put stock in those or lies." She nodded firmly.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn nodded with appreciation.  Knowing that there would not be a problem with Karen being the lady of the house by the staff was important to him.  "Do you ride or would you need a carriage for your own personal errands in town?"  He asked as he reached over to the paper that had a list of who was in each cottage.

"Mrs. Pearson mentioned that you would be wanting to rent one of the cottages on your own. There is one smaller cottage and one of the larger ones open.  The smaller cottage is thirteen pounds a year for rent and the larger one is fifteen pounds a year.  Your wages would be 20 pounds a year.  So, it is up to you which one you would want."  He pulled over the floorplans for each to show her so she could see the difference between them.

(smaller cottage )

(larger cottage )

102 Posts
0 Threads

"I'll be fine wit' just a room o' me own. I don't need much space an' I wouldn't mind the company." She gave a winning smile. "What is she like, this lady ye're ta marry? Is there anythin' I should know about her?" Delilah was genuinely curious about the lass.

"I know how ta ride but I do not have a horse o' me own," she replied to his earlier question.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn looked at it and nodded.  "I will be hiring a governess and another maid in few years.  So, you will have company in the small cottage, but for now, you will have it alone.  The maid that will take over the laundry work is sharing one of the other small cottages with the other two maids we already have.  So, that one is full.  You will have the first choice of which room is yours.  Your rent for the room will be 4 pounds and a half for the year.   It is number one, Mrs. Pearson will show you where it is and give you a tour of the property then as well."

He smiled as he thought about Karen.  "She is a lovely widow with twins.  She works hard and reminds me to take breaks so I won't work so hard.  Apparently, I do.  Even Heidi, my daughter, says that."  He chuckled.

"As for the horse, working here, you will have access to either a horse or a carriage and a driver as you need on your days off.  I don't want you to feel like you can't leave without a long walk to town.  Unless you want to, that is."  He gave a friendly smile.

He got up to move over to the filing cabinet where he kept the standard letters for the staff ready to go as needed.
“Let me get you a letter that you will take to the address on it to have the seamstress fit you with three black uniforms.” They would have white cuffs and a white stiff collar. “Mrs. Pearson give you enough to make sure you have sensible black shoes and a white apron of your choice. Each Christmas, you will be given a letter to have a new dress made for you.”  He quickly picked up the letter and brought it over to give it to her.  "Should you not work out, you will be able to keep the uniforms as a thank you."  He added.  He was, as it had been said that he was very generous to the staff.

102 Posts
0 Threads

She gave a bright smile and said, "Oh, thank ye, sir. I am so happy ta have this chance and I promise ye won't regret it." She was nigh unto bursting with joy with the news that she would be one of the lucky ones working for the Vaughn family, from the looks of it. The Carringtons be damned, she was in a better place.

She nodded when it came to the uniform and said, "I'll make sure ta get the right uniforms."