Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Finding a good match for the Vaughn family [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

169 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=372
Height: 6'8"

Mrs. Pearson nodded.  It sounded like that household if it was as she had heard.  Not looking into what happened for sure and being all snippy about something that likely couldn't be helped in the first place. 

"Well, we currently have one young child here, Miss Heidi, and often already have the infant twins over here as well.  Once the wedding happens, then it will be full-time.  We consider them a priority to other tasks if they are in need of something, in danger of something (which can be often with Miss Heidi exploring here and there),"  she added that little personal note with a fondly chuckle, "or hurt in some way, of course.  Though the nanny, who will also be a governess until the children are old enough to be driven into town for schooling or get a proper tutor for the job here, watch over them.  Miss Heidi sometimes gets away from Nanny though, so you would have to be on the lookout for that and alert Nanny."

"You said you are Mrs. O'Conner.  Will he be wanting to work for the stables here or somewhere in town?"  She asked putting the references to the side for the moment and focused on the woman in front of her.

102 Posts
0 Threads

Pronouns: She/her/hers
Height: 5'1"

"Nay, me husband passed when we were newlyweds." She could at least talk about it now without the heavy emotion that often came with being a lonely widow. "But I do love children. I wouldn't mind chasin' the wee one about if that is what she is inclined to have me do," she chuckled. "It'd be me pleasure ta help where I can. I've been doin' maidin' for most of me life and it's all I have e'er known."

169 Posts
5 Threads

Mrs. Pearson gave a sad expression.  "I am so sorry for your loss."  She wanted to know how long ago it had been, but that did not pertain to the job at hand.  She spoke of liking children but did not mention any of her own.  Given that it was mentioned that she had been newly wedded when losing her husband, it was unlikely there had been time, though she had heard of it happening.

She started with the perks, so the young woman would know that Mr. Vaughn treated his employees very well, and expected quality work in response.  "Well, the basics of what you would be looking at if you were to take the job, are as followed.  You would have the option of renting a place in Whitby out of your wages, but have access to a horse or carriage to bring you to and from town each day included in your wages.  That given that we do not have much patience for tardiness."

"Or two, you can rent one of the rooms on one of the cottages with your wages on the property to share the cottage with a governess that will be hired soon as Miss Heidi turns five.  The young girl just had her fourth birthday, so you would have it by yourself for about a year should you take that option."

"Or third, you could request to rent one of the cottages on your own.  It is more expensive, of course, but you would have plenty of privacy, should you wish it.  There are two sizes, the one you would share if you go that route, both have three bedrooms, but the living spaces are the main difference.  All are modernized with gas and running water inside and a proper bathroom."  She explained.

"The horse/carriage is available no matter what option you chose on that.  We don't want people to feel trapped on the property."  She explained.

102 Posts
0 Threads

"I will take a room iffin ye'll have me." She said, both brows lifted. "I've no problems wit' payin' me rent or anythin', but I would prefer ta be closer ta work." She was actually surprised they were talking about her living there... Did that mean? Nay, she wouldn't dare ask if that meant she got the job!

169 Posts
5 Threads

"The final decision of course is made by Mr. Vaughn, and I need to check into these references of yours.  Likely he will have you on a probational bit of time to make sure you fit with our whole situation here, and once it seems you fit in and the references have checked out, then I don't see any reason not to take you on."

"But before I take you to him, you should be sure you are aware of what you would be expected to do and what to expect from us.  Mr. Vaughn is very generous with the staff and expects quality work."

"You would receive 20 pounds a year. Rent for a room is ten pounds a year. The smaller cottage is thirteen pounds a year for rent and the larger one is fifteen pounds a year. The maids decided to rent the bigger one and divide the rent between them.” She explained. Consider the fact that the utilities were paid for by Mr. Vaughn, the niceness of the housing, and the other perks, it was more than fair.

“You are expected to arrive ready to work promptly at 7 am each morning and would be able to go home once the day's assigned jobs had been done and after dinner to assist with last clean-ups of the Vaughn family's evening meal."

“Breakfast is on your own, lunch we eat together here at this table, and dinner is up to you. The cook and some of the staff eat at 5 pm. I have my own family working down at the stables below, and Mr. Vaughn made sure that we make time to have that time to be together for a meal.” She smiled. “You will have from 4:30 pm to 6 pm to yourself.”

"Mr. Vaughn gives everyone off work on Sundays, to be with family, religious needs, and/or personal time. You will also have one other day during the business work week that I schedule with each maid for the week. Mr. Vaughn knows that there is some times you will have business that needs to be done in town that can only be done when the businesses are open.”

“With you, there will be three maids. So, if you have a particular day you need that to be scheduled on, let me know and I would see what I can do, but no promises." She added with a straight look, to let it be know it was sometimes not possible.

"We have a laundress on the property you can arrange to pay her to do your laundry each Saturday, though it is Mrs. Calloway that will be marrying Mr. Vaughn. So, Molly, the youngest maid here will be learning that job and then taking it over soon as she is possible. She will also help here in the house once she had the laundry chores done for the day especially if there is an event or company. Likely there will be needed another maid once the babies get older, as there will be more cleaning to do, but we are working into that as it comes up."

"As for chores, first thing in the morning is to open the curtains of all the main rooms of the house, this should be done by 7:30 am each day. The list of chores of course is: dusting, cleaning the windows and mirrors along with polishing the brass, sweeping, and mopping. You will be assigned one of the three tasks for the week. I try to change it each week so you don't have the same tasks all the time. I know it can be boring at times, and it makes it so you get to know the house that way, in my mind." She commented. “And of course, as you do your assigned task, if you see something that is out of place, you are expected to put it where it goes. As the family or a guest has a need, that is to be seen before the other chores. That is a given.” She nodded.

"Molly will be doing staff laundering on Saturday, as I mentioned before. So if you want that done, that is when it needs to be delivered. If you plan to do it yourself, you will have to do it in your own free time.”

“Lunch for the staff is at noon. Mr. Vaughn usually will come up and pick Miss Heidi from the nursery to have luncheon with her. He lets us know if he will be eating in the dining room, at the stables, in town, usually, but sometimes he has it here with us." She chuckled. "That may take some getting used to. He’s an American, and a place called Texas. They are a brand their own, I supposed.”

"You are allowed a half-hour after luncheon (which generally lasts about thirty minutes to 45 minutes), to take the air or have some private time. The family evening meal can be from between 6 pm and 9 pm depending on what is going on. When the family is dining in, the maids serve dinner to the family and clean the table afterward. The cook and her assistance do the dishes and are in control of the kitchen. The curtains are closed for the day once the family leaves the table."

"There are now again toys or things Miss Heidi leaves out, they go to the nursery of course." She added. Then trying to think if she had listed all the main things. Looking at Delilah, she asked, "Are there any questions you have?"

102 Posts
0 Threads

Relief seemed to flood her face as she listened to what was being said by the woman. Of course, there would be a trial period, she knew that to be true of most households. "Nay, no questions," she said when everything was explained to her. She had a good memory and would make these people proud to have her be part of their wonderful sounding family.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Mrs. Pearson nodded and picked up the letters Delilah had given her from where she had laid them earlier on the table.  "Well then, stay here and let me find out where Mr. Vaughn is.  He usually is working down in the stables but he knew I was interviewing you today and said he would stay close by in case you were a good choice."  She smiled getting up.

Just after she headed out to look into Lorn's office at the front of the house, Miss Bella came in carrying a basket of vegetables from the cellar.  She looked over surprised to see a stranger.  Miss Bella was the cook's niece and training to become a proper cook.  She smiled.  "Hello, can I help you, ma'am?"

102 Posts
0 Threads

"Oh, I was just... here about th' job fer a maid," she said with a smile. "I just spoke ta Mrs. Pearson about it. She told me ta wait here while she gets Mister Vaughn."

169 Posts
5 Threads

That brought a bright smile from the already cheerful young woman.  "Oh, that is wonderful.  They will be needing help soon.   I am Bella, am the assistant to my aunt Cora.  She's the cook here.  If you get the job, the food is good here and we are all like a big family.  Let me know if you need anything particular foodwise if you do get it.  I'll make sure if it can be done, it will be."  She shifted the basket in her hands.

102 Posts
0 Threads

"Oh thank ye," she said cheerfully. Her bad run of luck felt like it was about to end. She really liked it there, with the people cheerful and welcoming. It was a far cry from the severity of the Carrington house. "It seems so very lovely here and I hope I do get it." She wasn't about to crap talk her last family despite the salt still being in her fresh wounds of dismissal.