Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] The Mother-Daughter Kind of Thing [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

Anne nodded, stood up and took off her shawl to make the measuring easier. She was uncomfortable though. She did not have the slender, gracious shape of her sisters, with their curves in the right places. She had always been chunky around the middle. "Uhm... I've just eaten," she said.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

"That's alright, dear." Lottie answered rummaging in various places her measure could be. Had one of the family been tidying up?

"God's creatures come in all shapes an' sizes. Ah here it is." She found it and rejoined Anne.

"Right. We'll just make sure yer comfortable, but that ye look yer best."

And so she begin to measure Anne writing her notes in the margin of an old newspaper.

629 Posts
22 Threads

"Right..." said Anne, hardly feeling better. She held out her arms and followed Mrs. Blacke's instructions. She did not normally have her measurements taken so extensively, but she rather liked the care Mrs. Blacke took. There was no one left at home to do it for her, and she didn't want to disturb Rose or Maggie, since they could be short with her when they were disturbed. "Thank you, Mrs. Blacke," she said quietly.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"It's no bother, dear." Lottie replied.

In truth, it was nice to fuss over a young girl, it made Lottie feel useful. She didn't do this sort of thing much anymore with Kate, who getting to the age where being with parents wasn't fashionable and she was trying to make her own way.

"You can get down dear. Would you like me to go with ye to the shop?" she asked.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Perhaps if Anne's own mother had been alive, Anne would have been just as keen to do things on her own. As it was, she stepped down and looked up at Mrs. Blacke as if the woman had just offered her a large present. "Oh would you?" she asked. She looked at the bucket that was still on the floor. "I don't want to disrupt yer day..."

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie smiled at Anne's reaction to her offer of help. It was nice to still be needed, and appreciated. She hoped that if Kate had asked, her reactions would still be the same.

"Nonsense, dear, it's just scrubbin'. I want ye to look yer best for work for this Earl. I want ye family ta be proud of ye, and ye to be proud fer yerself."

She moved across the room to grab her shawl.

"Come on then."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne was quite sure that she hadn't felt this happy in a long time. She picked up her shawl and wrapped it around herself, for though the sun was warm, the wind blowing across the harbour could still be chilly. Then she followed Mrs. Blacke out. "I'll need it before Monday. Do ye think they can do it that fast? Perhaps I should buy one ready made..."

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Oh I'm sure they'll have somethin'. Shall we?"

They walked briskly for, as Anne had said, time was short. A cold wind was blowing in from the sea and Lottie drew her shawl a little tighter around herself before crossing a street. After a while, the two of them arrived at the doorstep of a clothiers.

"After you, Anne." Lottie stepped aside to allow the young girl to go first. This was her purchase, she should take the lead.

629 Posts
22 Threads

As they made their way to the shop, Anne was in a lovely daydream where she was purchasing her first work uniform with her mother. She felt both joy and pangs of pain for what could have been hers but wasn't.

When Mrs. Blacke let her go into the shop first, she felt a little shy. She had hoped that the woman would do the talking for her. But she took a breath and stepped in.

"Hello my luv, what can I do for ye?" said a tall and elegant woman at the counter.

It took a few seconds for Anne to find her voice. "Erm... I need a plain black dress... with white cuffs and collar. A maid's dress. And a full white apron, ma'm.

"Of course, my luv, do ye have yer measurements ready, or would ye like me to take them for ye?"

"Erm..." Anne looked up at Mrs. Black.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie looked at Anne and grimaced, she'd been in such a rush to help Anne that she left the measurements at home.

"I left them on the table in the kitchen."

"That's not a problem," the women helping them responded. "It happens all te time. I can take ye daughter's measurements again quickly."

Lottie was so fuming with herself, she didn't fully register what the assistant had said.

"Thank ye. I'm sorry Anne."