Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Onward Little Soldier [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

As if the entire situation wasn't intimidating enough. Anne felt like she was already being accused of something, and the tall man's look made her want to apologize and hide. "Please ser," she said, her voice barely more than a whisper. Was she actually shaking? "I would never sell private information, ser. I was raised honest, ser." Even though the notion of coin was attractive. But if anything, shuddering under what seemed to be the man's anger was enough to deter her from trying.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Douglas nodded and gave a smirk to Mr. Roberts. "I think it wood be worth giving the lass a try.  Now that we've scared 'er of us."  He chuckled.  Looking at Anne, he raised a brow.  "I pay well for good work.  But yu share things nae tae be shared and yu are oot.  Yu understand, lass?  I willna give a second chance when it come tae my privacy."  He gave a glance back behind the door at his less dress state.  "Roberts yu take care of this, I need tae find some trousers."  He turned around had left.

Mr. Roberts nodded and focused on Anne once again.  "You will be earning a shilling a day.  You will come in the back door promptly at 7 am on Monday and Wednesday.  The whole house is to be dusted and swept.  The parlor is special.  Don't touch the canvases or painting supply.  Just clean around those things.   If the Earl is in the parlor working, call out to say it is you and wait to see if he wants you to clean in there."  He paused not sure how to explain the rest to such a young lady. 

"If you see him in there, sometimes he is not feeling well."  He paused again.  "In that case, come find myself or Mr. Fraiser.  You stay back from him."  He directed.  Not wanting to scare the girl but he had to let her know.  "If you have been around a drunk, you'll understand.  Let one of us deal with him like that."  He figured that was as best he could explain what she might see.

"Then if you do well, we might add another day a week or special visits that might require a cleaning before hand.  Make sure you give me a way to contact you in case of that."  He gave her a look, "Any questions?"

629 Posts
22 Threads

Was he actually laughing at her for being frightened? Anne now felt humiliated on top of being scared and she visible shrunk. She didn't like this man at all. If it weren't for Alice, she would have fled the place already. But she had to be strong and brave. The girl balled her fists. He was willing to give her a chance and that was what counted.

She nodded at the gentleman. "Thank you, ser. I won't disappoint ye."

Then she listened to the butler's instructions and nodded, but she was about to dislike the gentleman - an Earl, oh dear! - even more, when he mentioned drunkenness. Anne knew all too well the harm that drunks could do. Her grandfather had been a drunk. Her father would never let her work here, if he knew, no matter what they paid her.

But father didn't have to know.

Anne had always been an honest girl who didn't keep secrets from her father. But lately she had been lying a lot. Father had caught her on several lies, and had sought to correct her, but here she was about to mislead him again. She had no choice. She didn't like going near a mean drunk either, but they needed the money. She needed the money.

"I shall be careful and do as ye tell me ser. My address is 4c ---yard." She could hardly believe she had been hired.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Mr. Roberts made a mental note and would write it down for later.  He looked at her clothing.  It was not a uniform, and the lass would need it.  "Wait here a moment, lass." 

He went out of the room to a little hallway that led directly to the Earl's closet room.  After a few moments, he came back and gave Anne enough coins to get the material to make a black dress and buy a white apron.  She might not be an experienced proper maid, but he would see to it she looked like one. 

"Get yourself a plain black dress made and a white full apron.  The cuffs should be white as should the be the collar.  That should be enough for that."  The earl was very generous with the employees but expected quality.

"Today is Wednesday, so I expect you here Monday morning.  If you haven't eaten when you get here, ask the cook for something.  You will also have a break for luncheon, and dinner if you are still working."  He added.  They would not have a servant passing out from hunger.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne breathed out slowly when the butler left. She could feel herself shivering, not because it was cold, but because of all the tension built up in her body. She did not like this position that much anymore, but she would have to be brave for a bit more.

The girl looked around. It was a very nice house. Even the kitchen looked grand to her.

She jumped a little when the butler suddenly returned. Really? They were paying for her uniform and she could get food here? That was surprisingly generous. "Thank you, ser. I will be there, Monday mornin' at seven," she said, hoping to be dismissed, for her head was full of thoughts and her body full of tension.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Mr. Roberts nodded.  "Yes, that will be it. Unless you have any questions, we will see you then.  You'll meet Mr. Fraiser and the cook then."  He nodded.  The cook had gone shopping for groceries earlier after breakfast and thus was not there currently.  He indicated the backdoor.  "Have a good day, Miss Ward."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne could hardly believe she had just been hired. But most of all, she just wanted to leave for now. She made a clumsy curtsy. "Thank you ser. Good day," she said, and she fled the house. It might just be a way... no, a first step towards saving Alice.