Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] What Comes Next? [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

205 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'4"

She wasn't sure how she felt about the creepy noises being made in the corridor. Her mouth curled downward as she eyed the door, stomach in her throat, it felt like. Then it was over and she breathed a deep and steady breath.

"Thank you, Reverend Grimes," she said softly as she danced a little to keep the baby content. "She eats well now. I just fed her again." She felt the little one squirm and make noises that babes made.

When Jenny asked about her room, she managed a tired smile and nodded, "It's just fine, thank you."

744 Posts
16 Threads

"Excellent. I'm glad to hear," said the minister.

After a minute or two, Tobias came downstairs looking morose. "Mrs. Appleton is feeling too ill to attend," he stated.

"And the name? Have you decided?" the minister asked, eying the farmer with a furrowed brow that brought all the sternness back into his countenance.

Tobias looked at the babe in Iris' arms and held out his hands to take her. "Emma Ruth Appleton," he said.

If Iris handed Tobias the baby, it would begin to cry instantly, frustrated that it was pulled away from the warmth and comfort of Iris' arms. Tobias could not get her to calm down, but still held her during the little service anyway.

The minister didn't take long: a reflection; a short prayer; and then the baptism, during which little Emma, formally christened as such now, began to wail loudly when the water was poured over her head; then another prayer and they were done. Tobias, who had been gently rocking his daughter, handed her back to Iris. "See if you cannot calm her, Mrs. Carpenter," he said.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She took the babe when the baptism was over and began to sway and rock, "Shhhh, shhh, there, there," she said to little Emma. she placed the wee one against her shoulder and rubbed at her back. "Hush now, baby, it's alright. Oh, it's so hard to be a babe isn't it?" She talked to the baby in a normal voice, then started to walk around with her and hummed softly. She closed her eyes and inhaled the scent of a newborn, that distinct smell only babies had when they were fresh and clean. It was already too late for Iris, for Emma held her by the heart strings.

744 Posts
16 Threads

Tobias spoke to the minister softly while Iris calmed the baby and Jenny cleared away the bowl and cleaned the table. The minister didn't stay for long as he had other duties to attend. He put his hand on Tobias's arm - "Patience and kindness, Mr. Appleton." - and tipped his hat at Iris and then he was off.

Tobias walked over to Iris and the now sleeping babe. "Thank you, Mrs. Carpenter. How do you find your room? Is there anything you require?"

205 Posts
6 Threads

"Everything is just fine, Mister Appleton," she said softly, "Please worry not about me." She looked down at Emma and there was a clear look of tenderness in her gaze for the infant and that she was most assuredly in good hands with the widow. "Emma is a beautiful name," she went on to say as her hand gently caressed the small back of the babe. Her mouth curled upward as she gave a winsome smile.

744 Posts
16 Threads

"Thank you," said Tobias, as he watched the woman dote over the babe. It was a mother's look, fully focused on the child, adoring. If only his wife could be like this. He still hoped she would turn around. But he was relieved that there was another woman who loved the babe, unnatural as this connection and its necessity was. "Well, if there is anything you need later on, you need but ask. I forgot to say, you are free to roam around, if you like, and as long as you wrap Emma up warm. But do not leave the grounds. The moors are desolate, and there's odd folk about sometimes. If you want to visit Castleton or anywhere else, just ask, and I'll send someone with you."

205 Posts
6 Threads

"I..." she paused and looked up to Tobias. Her hand did not cease rubbing Emma's back as she regarded him, "I have no place I wish to visit for now aside from the graveyard every now and then... I would not take Emma with me there." She whispered her response almost. She didn't need to say who she was visiting for that was obvious enough.

744 Posts
16 Threads

His face softened with compassion and understanding as he looked at her. The only reason she was here and able to be wetnurse was because of the loss of her own child, and Tobias almost felt a little guilty, as if the causal relationship was reversed. "Of course," he said. He sucked in his lower lip, not sure what to say that could bring any comfort or take away the awkwardness. "Tea... dinner will soon be served. Feel free to join me downstairs," he offered again, just in case she did not want to feel alone. It would be a little awkward without Alice there. Though in a sense... it would be far more awkward with his crazy wife there. "If not, Jenny will serve your meal upstairs."

205 Posts
6 Threads

She nodded softly. "Thank you, Mister Appleton. I would love to join you." And she meant it. It would be helpful, she thought, if she did get out of her room. She managed a little bit of a smile before she said, "I will see you soon then..?" And assuming he answered, she would nod and then take her leave for a while. She slept for a little while, tired.

By the time she was done in her room, she came back down with the baby in her arms, as if afraid to leave her alone. She would rest the little one against her shoulder and hum softly as she rubbed the little back.

744 Posts
16 Threads

As she was coming down, Jenny was just coming up with a plate, but she took a few steps down to let Iris pass, before moving up to bring Mrs. Appleton her meal. Downstairs, the table was already laid and Tobias was already seated. "Ah," he said, when he saw her carrying Emma. "We'll get a perambulator so you can put her there when you're downstairs. T' bairn came earlier than expected, and we haven't had the time yet. You may give her to me if it keeps ye from eatin'." He rose and reached for Iris plate and began to fill it with the potatoes, vegetables and pork from the pans.