Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] What Comes Next? [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

205 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'4"

She gave another nod, then watched as the child came in the room with tea and such. "Thank you," she said softly. The young widow took a fortifying sip of the brew. She made no objections as the girl took her single bag to her room. "I'll likely take my meals privately at present if you don't mind, sir." She was not yet up to meeting the one who the man had married because a little bit of envy would be felt at the fact that the woman was still alive with her baby and her husband. She knew nothing about Mrs. Appleton.

744 Posts
16 Threads

"Of course." Tobias said. He picked up his cup. "One more thing... If my wife asks for the babe, please let her see it, but do not leave it with her unattended. Mrs. Appleton has not quite been herself and the care for such a vulnerable young child is still too much for her."

205 Posts
6 Threads

"I see," she said warily. How could a mother have to be supervised unless she was going mad? Even still, she would not want her child kept from her, right?

744 Posts
16 Threads

Tobias poured a lot of milk into his tea and rested it on the table, when the infant started stirring. He rocked it gently until it was calm again. Then he turned back to Iris: "Mrs. Cook, whom you saw earlier, will come and take soiled cloths and bring new ones for her nappies every two days." He thought of what else to say. "Oh, and she'll be baptized here at home this afternoon, so if you could kindly bring her down then. Otherwise, she's in your care."

205 Posts
6 Threads

She would basically be that little babe's surrogate for a time, she thought with a frown. But she gave a nod in acknowledgment all the same. Iris knew what she had gotten herself into. It was saving her life too. She cradled the cup between her hands and murmured, "I'll make sure her nappies are in order... and just tell me when and I will make sure she is dressed in her baptismal gown if you have one for her." She sipped her tea, hearing sort of a static noise in her ear that dulled the conversation some.

744 Posts
16 Threads

"Good. The minister will be here by four. There's a gown and several other fresh clothes for her in a box in your room. There's a table there you can use to change her. If she needs anything else let us know."

Jenny returned.

"When you've finished your refreshments, Jenny will show you to your room so you can settle in," said Tobias. He stood up and handed Iris the infant.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She took the baby back into her arms, suddenly overwhelmed by the feeling of being someone's surrogate at least until she was able to eat solids. Iris finished her refreshments quickly enough and then took the child with her. She would follow Jenny to her room. Once inside, she moved to the bed where she curled up around the still, nameless child. She didn't mean to, but she was soon dozing off.

67 Posts
0 Threads

The room was small and simple, and contained an iron framed bed, a cot, a dresser, a box, an easy chair, and Iris' bag, which had already been brought up. Jenny left Iris once she had seen her to the room. The baby lay beside Iris, making little noises and moving her arms involuntarily, before falling asleep.

After some twenty minutes or so, there was the faintest noise of a door opening elsewhere on the landing, and - was it really there? - a slight, slow, creaking noise coming nearer. The last creak seemed to come from right behind Iris' door. Then all was silent again.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She sat up out of a dead sleep when the sounds happened. It gave her the chills... When the baby cried in reaction to Iris' startlement, she lifted her and cradled her to her, offering her breast. Assuming the child latched on, she began to hum softly to try and calm the child. Iris would let the babe feed for however long it took, making sure to be done before it was time to change her into her little gown. Her fingers idly brushed the downy infant hair, her brow, her cheeks, and she would find herself wanting to love the babe as she would her own. "I'll make sure you live, baby," she whispered softly, "I couldn't help my own but I can help you."

When the feeding was over, she changed the little one from top to bottom, putting on a new cloth and then the gown. She lay the babe down and pulled on her Sunday best since it was the respectful thing to do. Of course, that was black too because she was a recent enough widow that it still mattered, not that she loved her husband... She did not hate him though. The gown was devoid of flounces and decoration, but it was rich enough material that it would be easy to surmise that she was of the gentry at one point in her life.

She carried the baby downstairs.

744 Posts
16 Threads

While Iris fed the child, the creaking noise began again, first in front of her door and then removing itself, until a door opened and closed quietly on elsewhere. The infant's baptism gown was long and white with fine home-made lace integrated into the fabric; a costly item, both in material and in labour, and yet it had a few small holes as if moths had gotten to it.

The minister was already there when Iris came downstairs. He was rather short and thin, but with a dark suit, stern glasses and an even sterner set of eyebrows that gave him an air of authority despite his small stature. Yet his grave features softened a little upon seeing Iris and the infant. "Aha, you must be Mrs. Carpenter. Mr. Appleton tells me the child's drinking well now, bless you. Reverend Grimes. How do you do?"

Mr. Appleton, who stood behind the minister nodded. "Let me see if Mrs. Appleton is well enough to attend," he said, and he went upstairs.

Jenny made her way into the room with a bowl of water. "Ah, Mrs. Carpenter. Is your room to yer wishes?" She stared at the gown Iris was wearing.