Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Life Imitating Art [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

"I can imagine..." Tristan said emphatically. Eager to lift the mood, he picked up his cup again, and asked in a lighter tone: "I hope your other travels were more pleasant?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Douglas was grateful for the change of direction to the topic.  He still had a lot to deal with in those memories that haunted him.   When he was able to do his art again, it had been a relief and an escape.  It still was, to be sure, but now he did it for the fun of it more often than the other.  He had some of the dark canvases hidden out of view, though if someone came in they weren't locked away, just turned around in the same room.

At the thought of his other more enjoyable trips around, he chuckled.  "Oh, as much fun, and trouble, as a 17-year-old young man could have/handle."   He had at that time been more fancy-free, enjoying life, learning from the best of the best, and learning about things a man can only learn in big cities.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan smiled at that. "No doubt." He had never left the island, but he still dreamed about visiting the Continent one day - Paris, Amsterdam, several cities in Italy, Greece, Vienna, Berlin... His father had preferred to reinvest the money he earned and not spend it idly on a holiday abroad (not that Tristan would have enjoyed it a much, traveling with his family) and Tristan's asylum salary had not allowed it. Now he was still working to get his business running. For now, London would have to do.

He blew over his tea carefully and took a sip, considering the next question for a moment, and then asked: "Have you ever been to Naples?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

He was sipping his tea but nodded.   "We went up to visit the Pope and then did a tour of Italy looking at the classics and what they were inspired by in person."  Meeting the pope had been impressive to him.  Though confessing there with one of the more holy priests had been quite embarrassing due to some of the things he had been doing recently.

"Looking at the area, I could really see what had drawn some of the best of the artist: Van Wittel, “View of the port of Naples”, Bruegel the Elder, “View of the Port of Naples”, Van Pitloo, “Castel dell'Ovo from the beach”, Turner, “Vesuvius Eruption”, and of course my favorite: Renoir, “The Bay of Naples”."  He thought about it pausing.  "Maybe that is why I enjoy going to look at the sea and beach from different places here.  It is of course no Naples, but it calls to me."

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan observed carefully, but could not discern the recognition he had hoped for, and the man's words seemed devoid of subtext, except... what they were inspired by...

He shook the thought for now. It was all too hazy.

He sipped his tea and then responded: "I'm not too familiar with those works, I'm afraid, but I've heard that Naples is beautiful and the atmosphere very pleasant and inspirational. Did you meet the Pope in person?" It seemed this man had really seen a lot of the world, and Tristan began to worry that maybe he seemed boring to this traveling artist lord.

280 Posts
8 Threads

He nodded.  "The man I was an apprentice at the time was, well is a quite well-known artist and friend of the Pope.  I believe he was going to be working on a painting for a young cousin of the Pope and there was something about a work that my teacher was being asked to do for the Vatican Council.  I'm Catholic of course, so it was quite an honor to even be in the room with him.  I was introduced, blessed, and ignored for the most part after that."  He chuckled.  "We went from Rome on our Italy tour."

"There were terrible sickness and death all around there from the conditions in Naples.  Cholera was a big killer.  I was too young to really take it seriously and we were not there for a long time.  Maybe a week or two, I think.   The government was trying to make it safer, so there was a lot of construction going on.  The people I got to visit with said it had been going on since the 1850s."

"They said people were leaving in huge numbers but the city was still huge.  Coming from a rural area of Scotland it was quite overwhelming for an 18-year-old.  It was what drew my muse to dance.  The volcanos in looming over the city like monsters waiting to attack. I think I have all kinds of drawings of the Egg Castle, or rather named Castel dell'Ovo. It isn't the only castle there but it caught my eye and I just liked it."

"Did you know under Naples there is a whole set of caves and catacombs? Lots of more drawings dowen there. Along with meeting some interesting hardworking people. And lots of various kinds of women. You can imagine that when I wasn't drawing, I was learning about getting very drunk and my first love, and my second, and on and on..." He chuckled taking another sip from his cup.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan listened with interest. He himself was vaguely Christian. His parents were quite devoted, but once he had gone to school their influence had waned. Compulsory chapel each morning had been far from inspirational and had been referred to among the boys as 'the first nap of the day'. Once he had gone to university, there had been many interests and activities to pursue, and religion hadn't been one of them. Still, meeting the pope was quite impressive.

He smiled while listening to Douglas' youthful experiences of Naples, but the smile faltered a little at the mentioning of the women. He quickly corrected himself. 'Various kinds of women'. It could still be ambiguous, but there was no body language to suggest it, and Tristan began to think he had misjudged the artist. "Oh, I've heard it's quite the place for the more... passionate visitor. Quite the experience for a young man of eighteen, I have no doubt. I should very much like to see your drawings sometime, as I have not yet had a chance to visit the city myself."

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas grinned thinking back to his various 'romantic' adventures of those years.  "A curious young man who didn't mind bragging about the title he would someday have could get into all kinds of fun, and trouble.  Anyway, the eyes get widened and it helps you figure out what things in life are worth spending time, the heart, and the coin on when it comes to women and friends you make along the way." 

He had fallen in with some that had tricked him a few times and had his heart broken as well a few times but learned a bit about allowing his heart to be given to just anyone.  The time with the military had left another kind of wound to his heart and soul, so romance had not been a serious thing for some time.  Oh, he had dallied with those safe and clean, often actually, but nothing that would attach to his life permanently nor tie them to his heart in a serious way.

Douglas nodded at the request to see his paintings and drawings from Naples.  "I will have them brought to Whitby with my next letter to my House Steward."  He kept more of the older works there unless he wanted them for a gallery show somewhere.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan observed him. It was pretty obvious to him now that the man was earnest in his statements about women. Shame. He drank some of his tea to hide any trace of disappointment. But he started when Douglas agreed to have his sketches sent over. He waved his hand. "Oh no, please take no trouble on my account. I did not consider that they would be at home. Perhaps I can come see them when I'm up in the area?" Whenever that was.

280 Posts
8 Threads

"Oh, that would nae be a problem.  Actually having them around to look at and compare to what I am doing here in this area might be a good idea for the next theme for the next show I am asked to participate in."  He shrugged.  "Having some comparison between not only the two areas but my early work to my more recent works."  He gave Tristan a smile.  "You triggered a great idea.  Thank you."  He took up the last of the tea in his cup.