or Register?

[Complete] The Reckoning [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

286 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: Joe's Jotter
Height: 5 feet 10
Alias: BlackAck

"Yes sir." Joe answered without hesitation to seize the opportunity. It would keep him close to Pearl and put a few shillings back in his pocket. Whatever being an apprentice entailed, it was better than hauling crates of cabbage or pushing luggage trollies.

47 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him
Height: 5'8"

He gave a slight nod and noticed the way his daughter just looked at Joe. She had that look in her eyes that told him all he needed to know, and he was going to do whatever possible to ensure that look stayed in her eyes. "Give me a week to bury my son and then you will start." He tossed back his brandy and then set his tumbler back down.

286 Posts
8 Threads

"I understand.  Well, I should be off, it's late and I'm sure ye want to talk private like.  Again, Mister Carrington, Pearl, I'm sorry for yer loss." 

Joe reached for the wadded cap protruding from his back pocket and cast a longing look at Pearl.  He really didn't want to leave her like this, but this was her house, and her father was standing right there. Things would be better soon, this new job would keep them close.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'2"

She wanted desperately for him to stay and looked imploringly at her father, who sighed and said, "You needn't leave so quickly. I suppose you are a comfort to Pearl."

Pearl looked to Joe and said, "If you must go, I understand."

286 Posts
8 Threads

Truth be told, Joe once again felt self conscious that he didn't belong here, an intruder in this family's moment of sorrow. Yet the elder man had said he could stay a while longer, and Pearl had wished him to.

"Well, I would like to stay a while longer. With your permission, sir." Joe asked.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

The old man gave a tired nod, "If you and Pearl would sit down, there is something I would like to discuss." He moved to the door and closed it against all listeners.

Pearl gave a nod and obeyed her father. She sat in one of the chairs and sighed.

286 Posts
8 Threads

Joe followed Pearl's lead and sat down awaiting another twist in an evening full of excitement.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

"I suppose with your brother gone, it doesn't much matter that I cut him out of the will," he said with a flat tone. Pearl blinked in surprise. "I don't normally discuss such matters in front of strangers, but I am assuming that you'll be asking to court my daughter as soon as you see that I am not going to bite, and you may as well hear it straight from the horse's mouth." He turned to Pearl, "While I love all of you, my children, it has become clear that most of you have become lazy or greedy... But not you, Pearl. You would stay here if I told you that you must. You've not relied on me to pay your bills with the exception of Matilda and have proven yourself to be a competent young woman. However, I do not like that you went to the man who smudged your name across the gazette, and that has me at a dilemma."

Pearl bit her lip and said, "What is it, papa?"

"You still have much to learn with your reckless ways, make no mistake. I do know about the other lad who you were trying to impress... I wasn't too pleased with that choice in friends... But your ah, friend here... seems a much better candidate. I think if you both prove yourselves to me, I would be most comfortable with this match and with you taking over the estate when I die."

286 Posts
8 Threads

It would be a fair thing to say that Joe's mouth hung open like the fish his grandfather used to catch for a living. Joe cast a long look at Pearl. Being wed to her had been nothing more but a dream to him, a tiny possibility that might come true. But now this? This was like a cannon blast at Waterloo. Permission to court the woman of his dreams and the promise of wealth to go with it?

"Sorry sir, I'm nowt sure I heard you. Did you say you're alright with the two of us together and with us takin charge 'ere when ye pass on?"

His mind raced like a horse at the Grand National and he had trouble keeping up.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

Pearl shot up out of her seat and gasped just as Joe said what he said. "But papa, what about the re--?"

He held up his hand, "You have to prove you're worthy of the money first." and then he turned to Joe, "I am tired of my children thinking they come from riches when I worked hard for every penny I have earned. Pearl is the only one that seems to understand how to earn her own money, and having a husband familiar with working hard would be good for her. You are more hungry for the reward than they are. Besides, I have an ulterior motive for all of this. It might just be the push the rest of the damned brood needs." He settled his knuckles on his desk and muttered, "It's too late for Magnus, maybe it isn't too late for them. Maybe the death of their brother will wake them up."