Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Gratitude [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

306 Posts
13 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'5"

She looked to Betsy then and said, "What if I shelve the books and ye take care of the other things?" She had a grasp on what to do and wanted to help. It was clear that it needed to be done. It didn't seem like it would be a bad thing for her to help and get the library to where Edward wanted it.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

"Aye, that might be for the best."

Betsy admits, the entire thing had gone utterly over her head. Considering that Edward was now actively shelving books on his own, seeing the job done incorrectly having been enough to galvanize him into action apparently, Betsy figured Ruth wouldn't get in trouble for helping him shelve.

306 Posts
13 Threads

Ruth nodded and then moved to shelve the books according to this system that he taught them. She made sure to look at the numbers on the spines. As she was wont to do, she started to hum as she worked, reshelving book after book carefully for him. The girl was quiet other than her humming, at least at first, but then she glanced over to him and couldn't help but speak, "Is this alright?" She indicated a shelf she had just finished filling up.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Edward looks up from his own work. In the time it had taken her to do one shelf, he had done several. The man seemed to be able to know exactly where a book should go based on the title. Mostly because he did. The man's memory was truly staggering when it came to anything that he read, other things not so much. He looks over at Ruth's work and nods. "Yes, that's correct... Who are you? Why do you have a... Oh, you are that woman who was pregnant, when was that?" He frowns in thought. "I suppose it must have been at least a few days ago if you have a baby now." He says scratching his head.

306 Posts
13 Threads

"Aye. I am Ruth. I came ta thank ye all fer yer help when I needed it the most," she said softly, starting on another shelf. "I had him the night after I was here." The curly-haired boy started to squirm as if he knew he was one of those being spoken of. She put another book on the shelf after checking the number. "I suppose ye're wonderin' why I am in your library again though. I... need werk, and I thought I would ask while I was here." Another book, she was getting faster at it, but not nearly as fast as he was. "And I don't mean ta intrude by shelvin' yer books," she said quietly. "

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Ah, so you got a job as a mad?"

He asks since she said she needed work and considering that she was now working that made a level of sense he supposed.

"As for your intrusion, it's fine."

He waves an absent hand.

"It should have been done a while ago, I've just been distracted."

306 Posts
13 Threads

"That was me hope," she said, "I am helpin' Betsy in hopes of bein' hired on," she finished. She also finished a shelf and moved to another. "I understand," she said in regards to his distraction since she had been told before about his tragedy. "I am happy ta help ye." She gave a slight smile, glancing his way. She wasn't going to bring up his wife because she knew it was painful for him.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Oh, I see. Well, I'll give Mistre Lane my recommendation then."

He was aware that he didn't have the authority to hire her on but he figured that if he mentioned that the girl needed the job and that he thought she deserved it, that would help. With that matter settled he thanks her for her help and returns to shelving books.

306 Posts
13 Threads

She felt her stomach clench at this, not in a bad way of course. "Thank ye, sir," she said as she slid another book into place. Perhaps she would make her parents proud of her this time, finding her footing after dealing with what she had dealt with. She wasn't going to let Angus win at the game he played.

312 Posts
2 Threads

With Edward's help, they manage to get almost half the books up onto the shelf before Betsy returns. "Oh, wow, look at that. You've made real headway, its getting late though Ruth. And Master Edward your supper will be up shortly." Edward pauses at this and then looks at the work that still needed to be done. "Yes, of course, supper." He says like a man that was going to ignore his meal and continue to work once the two women were gone.