Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

Thoughts on Writing
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

I absolutely adore writing stories and I know some of you are working on stories as well. So here's a place to share thoughts and advice on writing, creative writing promts, checklists, and anything you like, related to your own writing process or on writing in general. There are as many ways to write as there are authors, but there's always room to exchange and growth!
Administrator

141 Posts
28 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him

I know someone made a bot who forevermore generates quirky writing prompts here: https://writingpromptsbot.tumblr.com/

I love factoring in random chance as an element. If I'm stuck, I'll use Random.org or a dice roller to determine course of action, success/failure, and intensity thereof.
Website Fairy

2 Posts
1 Thread

Somniac and I wrote a novel together using random chance to generate side characters (flipping a coin on gender, rolling on a probability distribution of the ethnic groups in the area to choose ethnicity, etc.). It was a lot of fun, and created a more realistic/representative world than you usually see in fiction.
Administrator

141 Posts
28 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him

(07-26-2019, 03:00 AM)Somniac Wrote: I know someone made a bot who forevermore generates quirky writing prompts here: https://writingpromptsbot.tumblr.com/

I love factoring in random chance as an element. If I'm stuck, I'll use Random.org or a dice roller to determine course of action, success/failure, and intensity thereof.

<3

I mean to sit down and do a demographic breakdown/estimation similar to how we had one for Newark. It'll be a lot more estimation-based what with the time and resources available, so it'll probably undergo a lot of tweaks as I find more information on Whitby.

But, for now, here's another resource.

Behold, RPGFix's 365 Day Prompt Challenge.
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

Thanks for sharing!

Today I have started the 200 words challenge you posted in the discord, ND, to finally get serious about the story I want to write.

So for anyone looking at this later: the idea is that if you want to work on a novel (or any longer written text really), you just commit yourself to writing 200 words a day. That is far less daunting that feeling like you have to write huge sections, and makes it much easier to stay motivated, write even more than that, keep the flow going etc.
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

I found this one very motivational. Its from "Write a Novel in Ten Minutes a Day," by Katharine Grubb (p.192). Honestly, not the best write-a-novel guidebook out there, but still has some decent tips.

When the author speaks about what to avoid when writing your first draft: "Excuses not to write: You'll always be tired. But you'll be glad you put in ten minutes. Those ten-minutes segments add up quickly."
I. Am. Possible.

4 Posts
1 Thread

(08-23-2019, 07:15 PM)Jack Wrote: Thanks for sharing!

Today I have started the 200 words challenge you posted in the discord, ND, to finally get serious about the story I want to write.

So for anyone looking at this later: the idea is that if you want to work on a novel (or any longer written text really), you just commit yourself to writing 200 words a day. That is far less daunting that feeling like you have to write huge sections, and makes it much easier to stay motivated, write even more than that, keep the flow going etc.

I do this... I love it!! I find sometimes that 30 minutes is gone... just like that... it's a really GREAT thing to do!
[Image: bRvuSXq.png]

I. AM. POSSIBLE.
[Image: cAvA38S.png]
I. Am. Possible.

4 Posts
1 Thread

(07-26-2019, 09:58 PM)Somniac Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 03:00 AM)Somniac Wrote: I know someone made a bot who forevermore generates quirky writing prompts here: https://writingpromptsbot.tumblr.com/

<3

I mean to sit down and do a demographic breakdown/estimation similar to how we had one for Newark. It'll be a lot more estimation-based what with the time and resources available, so it'll probably undergo a lot of tweaks as I find more information on Whitby.

But, for now, here's another resource.

Behold, RPGFix's 365 Day Prompt Challenge.

I would probably ENJOY doing something like this and have no idea why I haven't!
[Image: bRvuSXq.png]

I. AM. POSSIBLE.
[Image: cAvA38S.png]