Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A New Life [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

536 Posts
15 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: Average

She stared at the clock in her hands, the last thing in the pretty yellow house left unpacked. Karen traced her fingers along the intricate woodwork, then sighed and placed the clock back on the mantle, deciding that the new tenant could have the blasted thing because she no longer wanted to look at it. All it served to do was make her feel sour. She didn’t want to be sour.

And so, she left the clock in the house and took herself off to her new abode, ignoring the whispers she heard from some of her neighbors. The neighbor who she did trust hung back, her husband’s hand on her shoulder to stay her. Karen understood. She was a pariah in these parts.

When all was said and done, she moved into the cottage, which was bigger than the little yellow house, and spent the next week making it her own when she wasn’t tending to the children or laundry. She finally acquiesced when it came to letting the nanny look after her children while she worked. She paid Lorn the first three months of rent since she had the money to do so, sight unseen, and had no qualms about moving into said cottage even if there might be some damage here and there.

She seemed to blossom over that week, and could often be found in the back whilst she hung clothes and linens, singing in either Gaelic or English. It didn’t take long to figure out that she was becoming happy, which was something she had rarely experienced since Harold passed.

Currently, she was cooking dinner in her new home, the smell of chicken stew wafting through the air along with some fresh baked bread. One might even hear her muffled singing through the closed door as she moved about the cottage.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=372
Height: 6'8"

Lorn and Duke were taking a walk with Miss Heidi (Click here for image of Heidi).  Heidi who had taken her father's black cowboy hat to put it on her own head earlier.  She was sitting in front of him and thinks she has the reigns in charge.  Actually, Duke and Lorn are so well in tune with each other that all it takes is a nudge by Lorn's knees and light sounds to let the horse know where to go.   Heidi wasn't doing to badly though, as she got a bit older and started to learn things.  Duke was patient with her, as the horse had been around her since Heidi had come into their lives.  

They had gone to the beginning of the road running up to the start of the property and then followed it out to the big paddocks (click here to see map of property - not to scale).  Then coming back they went to the fork that went past the cottages and out to the end of the property line that way.  There would be a long dirt road well cared with once in Lorn's property line, with white five rail fencing in each section for the horses. The fanciest breed would be in the front sections. The main house is beyond some of the paddocks for the fancier horse. Then a large stable beyond the garden behind the house. There was a fork in the small road, to the left was more areas of land fenced up for the horses, and then to the right was the cottages for the employees (or to those might rent them should Lorn offer it to others) and then more sections of land for more horses.

On the way back toward the cottages, Heidi looked up at her father and pointed to the cottage where Karen and the twins were now living.  "See babies, Daddy."  She requested... well, rather demanded, but he took it as a request.

Chuckling, Lorn looked down at the child.  She had gotten to meet the babies when Karen brought the babies over as she worked earlier in the week.  Heidi had fallen in love with the living dolls and was now an often focus of her playing with her not living dolls.  "Well, I guess we can stop in and see how they are doing, but if Mrs. Calloway is busy, we won't stay long, ok?"

Heidi nodded and but basically got the idea of yes, and her smile was bright.  She had the look of Lorn's family, blond hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.  Lorn's hair had been blond before it went white after the fire.  There was a painting of Lorn, Cressida, and Heidi in his study.  Of course, then Heidi had been only about a year old, but there was no similarity between Cressida and Heidi.  As the child got old, there began more and more things that might show a relationship between the father and daughter set though.  Currently, it was faint, but there here and there.

When they got to the large cottage closest to the large stable, Lorn let Heidi pull the reign and say "wooooh Duke.  woooh." 

He then then swinged down and reached up to get her down as well.  Duke knew to stay put, and merely started nibbing on the grass after giving Heidi a nudge with his nose when the little girl reached up to pet him and say "good horse".

Lorn took the little hand and decided to let her wear his hat, as they walked up to the house.  He could smell the food of dinner being made.  He pointed to the door of the house, "Go ahead and knock."  Heidi went and gave a knock, though Lorn knocked over her head where she couldn't see through the brim of the oversize hat, so it could be heard inside.

536 Posts
15 Threads

She set her utensils down and pulled the stew off direct heat so it wouldn't burn when she went to answer the door. Moments later, the door opened and Karen looked on with surprise at the visitor. "Why hello there," she said cheerfully. She wore a white blouse and a long, black skirt, an apron tied round her waist. Her long hair had escaped it's braid and was tumbling down her back. She had flour on her freckled nose.

The blonde then stepped back to admit the pair into the cottage, which was bright and airy with a coat of fresh white paint. She had her quilts and afghans strewn over settee and chair alike, splashes of color from the fabric popping throughout the ground floor.

The scent of the stew would waft tantelizingly through the air, one might detect a bit of thyme and rosemary in the bouquet. "Please, come in," she said. "I was just cooking dinner. Ye're welcome to a bowl, there's plenty there." In truth, she welcomed the company. She smiled at Heidi and moved to where the babies were, taking one out of the bassinet and then the other to place them on a blanket on the floor, both on their bellies. Niamh looked up at the little girl and blew some spit bubbles at her.

Karen regarded Lorn with a smile after that and said, "What brings ye in today?"

169 Posts
5 Threads

"Thank you."  He smiled as they went in.  "Smells wonderful."  He thought about the cook and figured she wouldn't mind if he joined in had dinner with Karen.  He'd have her save it for the next day, or give it to the younger grooms.  The Pearson boys, the sons of his housekeeper and head groom, were always hungry and would eat anything offered.  "I'd like that.  Thank you."  He responded.

Wearing jeans, a blue long-sleeved shirt, and an older tan jacket.   He didn't wear the jacket when he was actively working in the stable or with the horses, but since he was out on a walk with Heidi, he was wearing it.  He gave her a smile and reached over to take his hat off Heidi's head as she rushed over to sit before she lost it or dropped it on one of the babies. She was totally focused on the babies and started babbling about something or other.

"Miss Heidi here thought we needed to visit the 'babies'."  He chuckled.  "I hope you don't mind.  I think she has claimed them."  He chuckled looking over at the three little ones.  Then looking around, he nodded.  "You've made it look much nicer than it did before."  He glanced at her again.  "Anything it needing? Or is there anything you are needing here?"

536 Posts
15 Threads

“Ye’re welcome,” she said as she moved to close the door behind him. She gave a chipper grin toward the little girl as she approached the two little ones who were currently burbling and flailing their little limbs. The scene was rather sweet, she thought and moved about.

She moved quickly about, then, and pulled out dishes to set the table with. Once the table was set, she carefully transferred the stew from the stove to the table along with a loaf of still-hot bread. Karen paused and looked appreciatively his way, not minding at all what she saw but keeping her opinions to herself because she was bound and determined not to get herself into nasty trouble again. “I don’t mind if she wants ta see me bairns, she may see them almost whenever she would like.” She gave pause and listened to his next words.

“Thank ye. I think everything is settled now, but I appreciate ye askin’ after me new home.” She nodded emphatically and then went on to say, “Ye came just in time fer the stew to be finished. Its chicken stew.”

169 Posts
5 Threads

Smiling at the three little ones, he then glanced over to Karen.  "Thanks.  I'll let the nanny know as well.  During the day, Heidi is more often with Miss Anna than me.  They take little 'adventures' around the garden and to the stables, I'll let her know if she feels Heidi is old enough for longer walks, she can come over here to visit you all." 

Heidi was getting older and needing more watching for where she went and what she got into.  Anna was great about it and had enjoyed watching the twins as well.  "Though if she learned how to get here from our place, if you ever see her without Anna or me, let me know.  Missy here has a stubborn thread in there and if she is told no, she will sneak around to do it anyway."  He chuckled.  Likely, she got it from him, but he couldn't say that. 

Sitting down on a sofa near the kids, he put his hat beside him.  "It smells great."  He smiled at her.  "I've been hearing good things about your work with the linens and such.  The maids are liking not having that task on their hands."  He paused and looked down at the babies again.

"I know Mrs. Pearson was thinking about hiring you as well.  With the three boys and her husband all working for me at the stable, there is a lot of washing to do along with what she does for me up at the house.  Though," he chuckled looking over at Karen.  "I believe she is going to make each of her boys carry it over to you and pay from their wages.  To teach them how to start taking care of themselves."

536 Posts
15 Threads

The table was soon set and the stew was set to cool some. “Thank ye,” she said. “I was reluctant, at first, to let someone new watch me bairns,” came the admission with a look on her face. “I’ll have ta thank her when I see her next. It’ll be a joy to see yer little one too. I am only sorry that the babes aren’t old enough to play with her yet.”

When he spoke about Heidi showing up at her house without supervision, she nodded, “Aye, I shall make sure to do that. We wouldn’t want the little miss to get into some kind of trouble along the way.” She reached behind her and started to work at the knot of her apron strings.

“Supper is done, but we have time ta let the stew cool a little,” she replied to his comment about the smell. The knot was firmly in place and she gave a grimace as she started to tug harder, realizing she must have tangled it up in her haste to get working in the morning. “I am glad me work is appreciated. I try me best to make things right.” That and she had learned a few things about stain removal.

“They are more,” she paused and then tisked at herself, dropping her hands, “more than welcome to bring their laundry. I’m happy ta have me hands busy.”

169 Posts
5 Threads

With a look at how Heidi had sat down and continued to chatter in whatever language babbling she was using, he chuckled.  "I think she is having a grand time.  They will grow fast enough.  Then she'll lead them into who knows what."  He grinned. 

"Thanks.  When she gets older, I won't worry as much, but as young as she is now, she could get hurt or lost.  But she is already a determined little mess." 

He watched as she struggled with what he figured was her apron behind her.  Finally, he gave her a raised brow.  "I'll have Mrs. Pearson bring the boys over to introduce themselves and get a lesson about taking care of themselves.  Um.. would you like an extra hand now?"  He asked indicating the apron.  "I'm pretty good with a rope, I don't figure an apron will be too hard to figure out." He winked.

536 Posts
15 Threads

It was good that Heidi was having such a lovely time with the twins, she thought as she watched them for the moment. They were making her smile. “Well, I am sure twill be alright,” she said absently.

Again, she reached behind her and tugged once more at the strings that tied the apron about her waist. “I am sure between everyone, we can keep an eye on her,” she went on to say, making a face when the knot didn’t budge.

“That would be lovely,” she said in reply to his words about the Pearsons. “The extra money will be appreciated.” And then at his next words, heat crept into her cheeks at the thought of him coming up behind her to work the knots loose. Ahh, quit being a ninny, she scolded herself and then said, “I suppose I have no choice but to accept. Tis firmly in place, it is.”

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn smiled and stood up and moved around behind her.  He didn't get too close, as that would be inappropriate, but close enough to reach down and work on the knot.  It was quite snug.  He frowned a moment and moved a bit closer.  Then finally after a few moments of struggling with it, he got it loose. 

"There we go."  He smiled again with the success as the ends fell way from his fingers.  "That knot put up a good fight, but I don't give up easy."  He joked.