Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Never Say Die [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth turned to Quentin. "What? You don't think we should try to open this?" He considered stuffing his pockets. Technically, it wasn't Quentin's for the cave wasn't his.

353 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'5"

She looked at Quentin for a moment and then back at Gareth, "It would do no good to carry the treasure with us if we don't know our way out, I think." At least, that was what she was assuming, that Quentin meant to come back for the treasure after they found a way out. "But then, I want to see more, just out of curiosity." It was true, she was curious. She had never seen the amount of silver that had spilled out of that crate and she wondered what else there was. Were there jewels? Were there pearls? Of course, there would be something like fabric in there, but even she doubted that would have survived the damp for as long as the treasure had been there.

448 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'4"

Quentin looks at the two and arches an eyebrow at them. "While I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm, I didn't pack the tools we would need to open up that door. Even if we found a key without oil or some other kind of way to lubricate or break off the rust on the hinges, the door will be nearly impossible to open. Also, people tend to do silly things like stuff their pockets full. Surprisingly, putting a bunch of heavy silver in your pockets and backpack can lead to drowning the next time you are dunked into the water. So I would say that we are best served by securing our way out and getting more men so we can do this in such a way that none of us wind up dead."

This was not the first time Quentin had been on a dangerous treasure hunt like this. He'd gone into a few abandoned temples, ancient shipwrecks, and long-lost vaults in his time. That particular anecdote was based on a true story, though the man had actually survived. Why in gods earth he thought shoving gold into his pocket while they were operating out of a diving bell was a good idea he would never know. The man was just lucky Quentin had hauled on the rope to drag him up into the bell when his arms gave out trying to swim with the extra weight.

188 Posts
3 Threads

Explore further? Was she crazy? They had just found the treasure. They should take the swag and go.

Gareth found himself nearly snorting at the word 'lubricate' but he caught himself in time. Not the right moment.

There was sense in what Quentin was saying though, although he didn't like the idea of involving more people. "Right. Let's find our way back then." he said, because he definitely didn't want to follow through with Claire's plan.

353 Posts
3 Threads

She wasn't talking about exploring further, but rather, looking at the treasure to see what was there. But since she was blissfully unaware of Gareth's thoughts, she would not be correcting him any time soon. She nodded then and said, "I suppose we'll find out what is in the crates in good time." And then she turned toward the other two and said, "Right, I am ready."

448 Posts
2 Threads

Exiting the house they make their way back to the pool of water that they'd arrived in. As Quentin had observed, there was another metal gate nearby which he suspected was the other end of the the tunnel they'd found in the very first chamber, right before Gareth had pulled the lever that sent them down quickly.

"If I had to guess, they used the chute for the rapid descent of goods and people when they needed it. With the side tunnel being meant for exiting or general entrance." He says as he eyes checking the latch. It wasn't locked, unlike the one up top, he managed to turn it with a grunt of effort. However, the hinges were rusted shut. He considers the problem for a moment and then ties a rope to the gate.

"Well, lets try this." He suggests, starting to heave on the rope hoping to pry the thing open with sheer burte force.

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth wondered what they were going to do once they reached the end of the tunnel, for the door there was still locked. But that was a concern for later. They'd first have to get through this door. He watched Quentin tie a rope to the latch, and then he stepped forward to help him pull. He was skinny and probably not half as strong as Quentin, but he pulled with all his might.

353 Posts
3 Threads

She followed the two men, not certain what would happen next. Her eyes roamed the area as they walked, and she remained silent for the time being.

448 Posts
2 Threads

"Miss Deveraux, if you could lend a hand." Quentin says as his muscles bulge underneath his shirt, his arms tightening as he pulls with all his might. The hinges were starting to groan against the pressure and Gareth's body weight was helping, they just needed a bit more.

188 Posts
3 Threads

Yeah, couldn't she be useful?, he thought annoyed, even though at the same time he thought Quentin's suggestion was stupid too. As if the woman's small weight would help.

Everyone was stupid.

He scowled.