Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A Fine Folly [The British Isles]

536 Posts
15 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: Average

Karen awoke with a start and realized they were on the train to Gretna Green still. Right. Elopement. Her nerves were on her again, she thought. She was about to be married again, less than a year from her husband's death even... People were spreading rumors about the two of them that were bound to happen because they weren't careful. She did love Fred, truly she did, but the timing was just a bit off and she was scared that it would turn around and bite them in the rear. She wasn't having second thoughts like she probably ought to be.

She looked at Fred and smiled instead. Everything would be alright, right? It had to be. Fred was a good man, a decent fellow who would give her a good life. Stop worrying, she thought. He'll make it all better.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic sighed softly. Clover had fallen asleep around the same time she had, and so he'd been lost in his thoughts for the last hour or so. Niamh and Harold Jr. had also slept through the train ride so far, and though he was quite glad of it, he half-wished one of them would wake to distract him from his mind. He was worried, to oversimplify his emotions, about the ways Karen kept reacting nervously or like she was frightened to their soon-approaching elopement. There was a pit in his stomach that she was having second thoughts. He knew it was vastly different for her, as she'd only been widowed less than a year ago, whereas Frederic's wife had died seven years ago. He loved her, dearly, but now he was starting to have doubts of his own, built off his fears that she didn't want to do this and was just going along with it for some reason. He didn't notice when she woke and stared out the window, a clear frown on his face, not realizing she could see his expression in the glass.

536 Posts
15 Threads

Her smile faded upon seeing his expression. "Fred?" she asked softly, placing a hand on his arm. "Are ye alright?" Her eyes were searching as she waited for him to respond. She wasn't aware that he was having his doubts too. Her hand stayed on his arm. "Everything will be alright. We're goin' to be a family," she said when she thought that maybe he'd sensed her worries and was worrying too.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic gave a start at Karen's voice, and turned, the frown melting off his face quickly. "Yes, I'm alright," he muttered and glanced at her hand on his arm. Her further words brought a small smile to his face and he relaxed a bit, but he still worried. Were they being irresponsible? No, they couldn't be- they were going to take care of each other, and their children, they were truly a family, like she'd said. He moved his other hand over hers on his arm and searched her face for a long moment before leaning in and kissing her cheek. "Right."

536 Posts
15 Threads

She felt her heart sink just a little. Her eyes searched his and then she looked down for a moment. "Right," she repeated softly, heat creeping up the back of her neck some. "I love ye," she said, looking at him again. Her eyes watched his face, brows puckered with worry for him, not for herself. "Are ye sure nothing is wrong?" Augh, but she couldn't help but to second guess.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic swallowed and gave a sigh. He reached to hug Karen, and if she let him, he pulled her close to him and kissed the top of her head. "I just- You looked nervous earlier, a number of times, or even scared, and it got me worrying-" He paused. "But it wasn't your fault," he quickly reassured, "I just don't want you to do this if you have doubts." Not to mention his own worries about how this would affect her. He'd been going into this blindly, and this was the first time he'd really stepped back and thought about the consequences. "I love you," he said, then repeated it, more definitive, "I love you, Karen. And I want this. But if you're not ready..."

536 Posts
15 Threads

"I'll admit to bein' nervous, Fred, but tis something I can't help. Aren't ye feelin' at least a little nervous without me own nerves interfering?" She hugged him back and then sat closer to him. "I'm not havin' second thoughts if that's what ye're thinkin'." She sighed. "It's normal to be nervous, isn't it?" She felt bad that he felt bad. Her eyes were earnest as she gazed into his, "I love ye too." She leaned in and gave him a gentle kiss.
Frederic Mulvahil
He breathed in her familiar scent as she spoke and his heart calmed. "I'm not havin' second thoughts if that's what ye're thinkin'." Oh, thank God. That's exactly what he'd been worried the most about. "It's normal to be nervous, isn't it?" Frederic gave a small smile, finally. "Yes, it is." He held her close. Her response that she loved him further reassured him and he responded to her kiss, one of his hands coming up to gently cup her chin and cheek.

536 Posts
15 Threads

She sighed in relief at his own relief. She hated making him feel bad. Karen lapsed into silence after that and lay her head on his shoulder, letting him know she was alright the best way she knew how. "I am sorry if I worried ye, Fred," she said softly. Her hand moved to cover his on her cheek and she leaned in for a soft kiss.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic kissed her back slowly and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. When they broke apart, he murmured into her lips, "It's alright, Karen, I just want you to be happy. That's what makes me happy, and when you worry, I worry too." He leaned his forehead against hers. "But it's all going to be alright, and I love you."