Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] This isn't a Library [Market, Shops and Spas]

253 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'4"

It had been dull recently and Christine  was beginning to wish she had moved to a more literate town. The good side was that she had all the quiet she could stand, being lazy all day.

The chime of the bell as someone walked in gave her excitement and she perked up to see. A giant white mass of fluff moved along a low shelf to see who had come in.  "Who is it Archimedes?" The solid white cat didn't answer but stared with his blue eyes and chronically grumpy face.

She didn't bother to take her feet off of her desk, but leaned back dangerously far to peak around the shelf that gave her privacy from every person who wandered in.

84 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'7"

Theodosia Strong wasn't often a woman with spare time, and when she had it, she spent her time going out on the town and browsing the stores. She hadn't been in most of them, and today, since she had a good two hours, she decided on a bookstore, or maybe it was a library? Either way, a good book might help her fall asleep better at nights, something she'd had trouble with lately. Opening the door, a bell gave a twinkling sound and Theodosia spotted a large heap of white fluff. What on Earth- the thing moved and Theodosia realized it was a cat. Although she was generally considered stern, she had a soft spot for animals, and a smile crept onto her face as the cat moved along a shelf toward her. A light voice called out, "Who is it, Archimedes?" and Theodosia scratched the feline under the chin. "Archimedes, huh? Good name."

253 Posts
4 Threads

Hearing a woman's voice, Christine couldn't help but get interested enough to greet her guest that she actually left her seat. She walked around the book case that hid her view and smiled brightly. "Hello! Welcome to my shop, Pennyfeather's Papers for a Penny." She laughed at her little joke, as she had some cheap stuff that came out recently but most of it was far more expensive. She held out a hand to shake her hand. "I'm Christine. Is there anything I can help you find?"

She looked over the woman who wasn't one of the people that she had to wonder if they even knew how to read, or if they were looking for something cheap to wipe their asses. This woman looked well to do and educated, not to mention rather nice on the eyes. "I can always give you tea if you wish to browse. It's no rush." She gestured to the empty shop. "I'm not exactly swamped."

84 Posts
3 Threads

Theodosia thought the woman who greeted her was quite a sight for sore eyes. A very pretty thing, she was, and Theodosia had to mentally tell her heart to shush when it gave a little thud. She shook the woman's- Christine's -hand and replied, calm as always, "Tea would be lovely, thank you. I'm Theodosia. Theodosia Strong." Her accent was clearly out-of-place for Whitby, and if one had met an American before, they'd be able to tell this was where she was from. Specifically, the south of the country, if said one knew the difference in inflections. Her intent was to browse this morning, and now that she'd laid eyes on the proprietor of the establishment, what she was looking for wasn't just books anymore.

253 Posts
4 Threads

Christine nodded and fluttered her eyes, a habit she got to flirt with a man into buying something, but now it occurred on its own. "Such a delight to meet you...Theodosia? " She seemed curious for a moment. "Theodosia? That is such an unusual name, and its simply beautiful. Quite fitting for a lady like yourself. And I have never heard such an accent before, may I ask where you're from? I may have to visit sometime if it is full of visions such as yourself." She knew better than to talk like this to a woman, but couldn't resist being a bit more upfront with the unusual woman that already gathered her interest.

"Let me get your tea, and if you have any ideas on what you're... seeking. I am certain I can assist you. You'll find all matters of subjects from all sorts of authors. Perhaps something will surprise you." She smiled brightly and turned to walk off out of sight again between the rows of bookcases.

Archimedes slipped off the bookshelf and walked up to the newcomer, a definite swagger to his steps as he knew he owned this place. He sat down and swayed his unusually long tail as he stared up at her, part keeping an eye on her and part being merely curious at anything new that wandered in.

84 Posts
3 Threads

Theodosia nearly blushed at Christine fluttering her eyelashes at her but managed to keep her cheeks from turning pink somehow. And then she called her name beautiful- there went her heart again. Goodness. "America," she answered Christine's question when given the chance, but didn't elaborate further as she didn't have many fond memories of her life overseas. And then there were those compliments- was it just Theodosia, or could that be flirting? Her gaze followed the woman as she disappeared behind the shelves of the bookstore and had to take a moment to blink herself out of her reverie. The large white cat sat down at her feet and she crouched to pat him on the head, raising her eyebrows at the idea that crossed her mind. Should she risk it? She looked up at the shelves as she stood, but Christine was nowhere in sight. Theodosia was so cool and collected around most people, but with pretty women, she wasn't nearly as confident, and this was certainly no exception.

253 Posts
4 Threads

Christine was swooning in the back. She didn't feel particular about americans one way or another, but this one? She was such a lovely woman though she hadn't had a chance to get to know her, this time in the book shop was her only chance to charm her into returning. Maybe just for tea! Oh, if the woman was even half as interesting as her outward appearance and voice was, Christine could enjoy her forever.

She poked her head out to see the woman pet Archimedes and turned back to her task. She liked her cat, another definitely good point. She put a hand to her face and giggled quietly. Perhaps this place had been far too peaceful for her tastes lately. She'd had been almost desperate for a friend to pop in just on rare occasion (as she still enjoyed her solitude for the most part), but to have such a sweet woman that she could just enjoy gazing at was certainly something she didn't want to let go.

The second the tea was prepared, she came back in holding the tea tray carefully as she would let the woman have her tea however she liked. Was there a certain sashay to her step? Certainly not!

84 Posts
3 Threads

Theodosia looked up when she heard footsteps and most definitely noticed the sashay in Christine's step that certainly wasn't there. She took her tea, with thank yous, the exact same way as Christine did, though Theodosia wouldn't know that. "You have such a lovely shop," she complimented and looked about. Pointing to a shelf, she asked what sort of books were kept there, and took the chance, if it came, when Christine was looking that way, she took the chance to scan up and down the woman's body. Ahem. That was bold, wasn't it? Certainly more so than Theodosia usually was. But oh dear, wasn't Christine a pretty woman, and she owned her own store, from what Theodosia could tell, which only made her more attractive.

Independent women were those types that drew Theodosia's attention the most, but she'd met few in her life and only one had captured her true fancy. Christine reminded Theodosia of that woman... but better. Now, if only she knew whether the lovely bookshop owner shared the same, ah, attractions as the innkeeper.

253 Posts
4 Threads

After making their teas with a little milk and sugar, she handed the lovely woman her tea. "Oh thank you so much. After father died, I had his vast library and only me to enjoy it. I decided to let everyone have a chance to buy their own little piece. I don't even need the money after his inheritance , but one must always becareful when it comes to their future."

She looked towards the shelf in question . "Ah this is a collection of illustrated books for wild life enthusiasts. It includes Audobon's Birds of America. I must admit it is some beautiful work."

Her attention returned to Theodosia and she smiled. "I have other illustrated pieces, the medical ones are very interesting for those who lack a weak stomach."

84 Posts
3 Threads

"Really?" Theodosia took a wild guess to where she might be going with this and asked, "What sort of illustrated medical journals?" She was hoping Christine would say ones about the feminine body in a certain way, thus hinting at her possible attraction to the same sex. Theodosia was quite fascinated by Christine's reasons for opening this bookstore and liked how they were both mostly-self-made female business owners. More strong women were needed to fix this world, she strongly believed, and Christine was surely one of them. She had a pleasant voice, Theodosia noticed, and took a sip of her tea.