Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Be afraid [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Height: 5'9''

The boys looked at the packages, and when Quentin told them to get dressed, James ran over and grabbed one. Noah walked over more awkwardly. He was in dire need of new clothes, but they had received to much that it made him uncomfortable. He knew that he could never repay the man, and he felt like a beggar. He was also still suspicious.

The boys disappeared and returned dressed in their new clothes after a few moments. "Thank you, ser." Noah said sheepishly.

James had less scruples. "Are we adopted now?"

Noah knocked him on the head. "What did I tell you?"

448 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'4"

"Is that what you were hoping for James?" Quentin says arching an eyebrow. He could not say that he was surprised by this, well perhaps a little since Noah didn't seem to have much enmity for his father. Then again, it is possible that Noah was remembering better times that James hadn't even been alive to see.

"And Noah, please don't hit James in general. But especially not in my presence. It might be... good of you to remember how being cuffed upside the head made you feel at that age." He'd been about to say behoove, but he figured that wasn't in their lexicon.

"Regardless, no you are not adopted." He says shifting his gaze between the two boys. "I am not looking to take on two wards at present and I would only do so if I thought I was putting your life at risk through negligence. However, I am lending my assistance in ensuring that both of you lead better lives than what your current lot has provided." He looks at James and adds. "I am doing this because, as I imagine your father would put it, I am stupid, rich and a sucker. My father would have said similar but I choose instead to believe that if a man can make a positive difference in someone's life, then he should do so. Especially when all it costs is a bit of time and, relative to my station in life, almost no money." Five pounds may have been an unfathomable sum for the two boys but not to Quentin, it was barely even pocket change.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

James brought his hand to his head and gave his brother an injured look. But then he looked back to the man and nodded. Noah meanwhile looked sulky when the man told him not to hit his brother. Well he couldn't compare his childhood with James'! He had been a faster runner!

"We are very grateful, ser," Noah said, when the man explained why he was doing what he did.

But James tilted his head. "If its not much to you, can you give us more money? My mother needs a lot."

Noah raised his hand, dropped it when he remembered the scolding, and rolled his eyes and groaned instead.

448 Posts
2 Threads

"Unfortunately James, your mother is not my concern." He might have been more sympathetic to the woman but he'd seen the state of her children. Noah had already told him that the women drank most of their money away and she couldn't even keep James off the street. "In fact, I think it would be for the best if your mother doesn't find out about what money I am going to give you. And if they ask about the bath and clothing, I would go on to suggest that you simply tell them some rich toff knocked one of you into the mud and might have injured him. So you used guilt to get a free meal, bath, and new clothing for the both of you."

This is said to Noah and the boy would know that Quentin was being quite serious. The big man was not going to become a cash cow so their parents could more easily drink themselves to death. "Asking for more is not something I discourage in principal though young James. Standing up for yourself and trying to get whatever you can is often quite the smart move. However, in this scenario, I will tell you now that if you ask me for money at any point then this patronage will end." Once again Quentin's gaze flicks to Noah, a look that says: Because I will know that you are not asking for yourselves. Quentin was a generous man, he was not as stupid as some might believe though.

Coming to his feet he approaches Noah. Then shielding Jame's sight slightly he hands the teenager five one-pound notes. Knowing that if James knew the exact sum of money the lad would probably not be able to keep his mouth shut. Then again, odds were that the boy wouldn't anyway but he wasn't going to make it worse. "Now, I believe that concludes our business for today." He says once Noah has slipped the bills away. "Baring any further questions you have for me, I will see you." This is directed to Noah. "In a month. I look forward to hearing what you come up with."
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

The boys nodded when Quentin told them the alternative story they should tell their parent, though James still seemed confused. When then man told them the patronage would stop if they would ask for more, Noah pushed his little brother. "Listen carefully," he said. James glared at him.

Noah took the money and quickly put it in his pocket. The first thing he would do was to go to the post office and open an account so no one could get to it. He nodded. "I will not disappoint ye, ser," he said.

He probably would.

James had a question: "Why did you knock Noah in the mud?"

448 Posts
2 Threads

"I am not worried about you disappointing me Noah. I am worried you may disappoint yourself. However, I think you are quite capable of this task. Think on it, think about what you want to do come back to me with an idea of a job you want or something equally as viable to improve your lot in life and I will facilitate it." He knew that the boy would struggle with this. Noah had never been given the chance to quite literally be anything before but he had faith that the teen could come up with something. Even if it was outlandish Quentin may very well indulge if the teen at least seemed to have put actually effort into the idea.

Turning to James he chuckles just a bit. "It was an accident, I was in a hurry and not watching where I was going. I brought him along with me back to the inn as I couldn't stop and paid for new clothing, the bath, and all that out of guilt. Now, any other questions?"
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah nodded, even though he doubted he would be able to come up with something good. He had never really thought about how to improve his life.

When the man asked if they had further questions, James began: "Where do ba-,"

But Noah covered the boy's mouth with his hand. "You already know that. Shut up." Then he looked up at Quentin. "No further questions, ser. We are very grateful for all you've done.

448 Posts
2 Threads

"Very well, I will see you in a month Noah."

Quentin says as he gets to his feet and shows the two young men to the door. For now, their time in the hotel and with Quentin was over but who knew what the future might bring?