Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Old Money, New Flavours [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Philanthropist

60 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: The Right Honourable Lord

Lady McPadraic was a fainter alright. Was it a weak constitution? Was it the fact that she laced just a little too tight? Was it prolonged boredom, so that the tiniest excitement was now too much? Or was it spite? Perhaps all of it.

The only good thing about her fainting so often was that her husband was not too disturbed by it anymore. "You shouldn't have used such a word in the presence of a lady." Arthur said, forgetting for a moment that he was talking to a lady. "Never mind, now, thank you." He took the smelling salt, but when she didn't wake up, he admitted: "Yes, we probably should." He rang the bell again, and ordered a footman to get the doctor and bring a stretcher.

A few moments later two servants came in with a stretcher. "Please take Lady McPadraic to the fainting room." Yes, she had a room devoted to recovering from her fainting spells. When the servants took her away, Arthur turned to Vela. "I am sorry, Miss Rosewine. My wife was brought up a fine young lady. She's too delicate for such... worldly topics..."

117 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: her/she
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=366
Height: 5'5"

Vela gave him a look of surprise.  He had been the one asking her to explain what the mountain oyster was.  It was what it was.  Perhaps he had not known what it was, that was possible, she figured, but she had no idea.

Granted, she had not had a client faint over the mention of a cut of meat.  That was new.  She watched as the servants took the lady out of the room.  Then gracefully moved over to gather her gloves and notebook again to sit down and continued with the meeting.  Though her thought at the moment was this would be a good moment to have that drink he had offered earlier.

She had been brought up as a lady as well, but she had a stronger spine than the woman before her, apparently had.  She was not going to correct a possible client.  Unless she was totally insulted or mistreated, she maintained a polite and professional manner at such meetings.

"Then perhaps a different hors d'oeuvre.  For if the mere mention of the cut of meat, the vision of it arriving on the first dish would not be a great start for the evening."  She tapped the paper again with the pen thinking of another option.  From the reaction of the wife, the skewered design even my trigger the poor lady.  "How about Heirloom Bruschetta? It  is made up of toasted bread drizzled with olive oil, rubbed with garlic, and topped with seasonal ingredients."
Philanthropist

60 Posts
4 Threads

Arthur was surprised at how quickly Miss Rosewine resumed business, but he too sat down. "Yes, yes," he said with a wave of the hand. "How about you write down several options for each course, with a list of ingredients, and then when Lady McPadraic is recovered, she can make a selection," he suggested.

A footman entered with the brandy and madeira and Arthur took a good look at him, so that he would be able to recognize him later, reminding himself to tell the steward to fire this one. "Did you go to Madeira yourself to fetch the lady's drink?" he voiced his displeasure.

The footman, a boy of about seventeen, turned red and muttered: "I apologize, my Lord, I..."

But Arthur held up his hand. He did not care to hear the reason, or talk to the servant at all, especially not when he was in the middle of a more important conversation. "Run along now," he said, and he didn't have to tell the boy twice.

He picked up his drink and turned back to Miss Rosewine. "I hope you will overlook the disorder of my house today, Miss Rosewine," he said. "Good servants are hard to find these days. Now, you will drink with me, and then I will show you the kitchen."

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela nodded.  She pulled another sheet of paper and quickly made a list of various suggestions for each course.  She added a few for the first she had already suggested though she felt her earlier suggestions were unique enough to be worth the event.  Having seen the way the woman had reacted to the suggestions though, Vela figured a few choices would be requested.

She did not put the recipe, of course, that was her own knowledge and not something a chef would give little tricks for others to use.  However, the basic ingredients to give the client a way to know what each dish composed of.  The list would not really give the visual description of each dish either, as that would be something the client would normally discuss.  Since this would be done on paper, she just gave the basics.

After a few moments of writing, the servant came out with the drink.  Vela took a sip with an expression of enjoyment.  She had needed that. 

"Thank you.  Very lovely."  She commented after a moment of enjoyment.  "Unexpected events happen in almost any household.  One of the things I have worked to keep myself ready to deal with surprise or unexpected situations.  The meal should go on even when things don't go on as you expect them.  Adaptation in such situations can cause the most interesting new recipes and new dishes."  She smiled.

She went back to making the list for his wife to look over and sipping from time to time.  Finishing it, she took one more sip as she looked over it to be sure she had included each course and a basic description of the options that she suggested. 

She handed it over to the Baron.  "I think there will be several options that I would suggest.  The first in each section is the one I would find most suitable, but the others are delightful as well.  I would need to know which of each choice at least two days before the event, so as to allow me to have time to get the groceries and do the items that need more prepping than others."  She explained.

"I am looking forward to getting familiar with your kitchen."  She smiled.

---the paper----
hors d'oeuvre -
*angels on horseback - frying the skewered mountain oysters and bacon in butter served on toast, it can be eaten straight from the skewer – displayed on individual plates for each guest
*Goat cheese crostini with fig-olive tapenade
*Zucchini fritters[/size]
*Shallot and pancetta tortilla crisps

amuse-bouche -
*Blini with trout roe caviar and crème fraiche --The blini can be decorated without the caviar.  Bite-size blini are topped with chives, a dollop of rich creme fraiche, diminutive quail eggs to give the visual of a flower on each
*Sweet potato chips with goat cheese and caviar
*Caprese bites with basil vinaigrette
*Pea soup served in a shot glass or espresso cup

soup -
*Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
*Cold melon and basil soup
*Pumpkin sage bisque
*Tuscan white bean and roasted garlic soup

appetizer -
*Savory Cheese-Filled Croquembouche - constructed with cheesy gougères and an herbed cheese filling, and the caramel is spiked black pepper
*Charred broccoli with shishito peppers and pickled onions]
*Mushrooms stuffed with Pecorino Romano, garlic, and bread crumbs
*Candied carrots with honey, cumin, and paprika

salad -
*Chopped Thai salad with peanut dressing
*Garden salad with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and tart vinaigrette
*Greek salad with olives, lettuce, red onions, and feta cheese

first main course -
*Duck & Black Rice in Banana Leaf Parcels
*Spicy Thai basil chicken
*Roasted duck with an orange-ginger glaze
*Deep-fried turkey with a honey bourbon glaze

palate cleanser –
*Mint Sorbet
*Prosecco
*Water with lemon

second main course -
*Grilled Ostrich Smothered in Garlic Herb Butter
*Stuffed lamb breast with lemon, ricotta, and oregano
*Grilled flatiron steak with rosemary potatoes
*Herb-crusted venison medallions

dessert -
*Petits Pots à l'Absinthe - Absinthe adds a subtle anise flavor to these puddings, which are delicious with berries.
*Rich flourless chocolate cake with a glass of sweet port wine
*Lemon creme brulee with dry white wine
*Fruit tarts and berries with champagne

Mignardise -
*pates de fruits
*Miniature butter madeleine biscuits
*Small pieces of chocolate
*Bite-sized macarons
Philanthropist

60 Posts
4 Threads

Arthur had never had to handle to unexpected in domestic service; not from the service side at least. His solution was firing people. But he nodded along absently as Miss Rosewine talked of how the meal had to go on.

The baron put down his drink, took the sheet of paper and glanced over it. "That looks like enough choice. I will discuss it with my wife." He put the paper down on the table and picked up his brandy again. "But enough business for now. I said you will drink with me. So here's to a good dinner party." And he lifted his glass a little, before taking a sip. "So tell me about yourself, Miss Rosewine. How does a fair young lady of a well to do family end up becoming a chef?"

117 Posts
3 Threads

At being basically directed to drink with the man, she gave a polite nod and sipped from the glass.  She was here for the event, and that would be her focus.  However, now that the most important part had been dealt with as far as she could at that time, she could be more relaxed about the meeting.   That she would not have the key information for her planning upon leaving was an issue, but there was nothing she could do about it at the moment.  She was worried about the wife, but as he was not following up with seeing the poor woman with a doctor, Vela went with the manner the Baron had put forward.  He would know the best his wife would need, as after all, Vela did not know the woman.

She raised her glass in echo to his toast and took a sip.  When asked about herself, Vela smiled.  She had become a bit of a curiosity to various people in her and her family's circle and beyond as she was gathering a reputation as a chef.  "My parents spent a lot of time in London and I like many children stayed at home with my governess and tutors.  I have always been a curious person, and I enjoyed visiting the kitchen and watch how our chef created such amazing dishes and especially the desserts even when it was just for me, which was often.  I just found it to be an art.  I wanted to create beautiful food too.  Our chef was kind and thought it was just a child's game for me, and maybe at first it was."  She chuckled. 

"But as I got older, and learning more, he must have seen I was not letting it go, and I was becoming quite good at it.  I would rush through my lessons with my tutors to get to go back down to the kitchen or out to the garden to learn about the right time to pick herbs and vegetables for the best taste.  So, he became a mentor to me and we had many hours of him teaching me new techniques until I decided this was what I wanted to do."

"My parents were not thrilled, understandibly." She added.  "But I was determined.  It took the chef letting me create a menu and create it for an event there at home hosted by my parents without their knowing it was me to finally let them see what I could do and how determined I was to follow through with my plan.  From then on, it was more about the men at the Culinary school there in London that I had to deal with but I graduated among the top five graduates even with all the challenges."  It had been hard, but she had been full of courage and was not one to give up.
Philanthropist

60 Posts
4 Threads

Arthur made a mental note to make sure his daughters stayed out of the servants quarters. That chef ought to have lost his job, getting familiar with the daughter of his employer behind her parents' backs and encouraging passions without her parents' discernment and approval. It sounded horrifying to him as a parent. The thought that someone would encourage some of Alex's crazy ideas behind his back... oh, he would have destroyed that man's career.

But the baron showed none of these bitter thoughts, but rather smiled placidly like the experienced politician he was "That is quite an impressive journey indeed." He didn't care if it was someone else's daughter. "Unusual for a young lady, but I suppose it's part of progress." Progress could go to the deuce.

He sipped his drink and watched her quietly. For all her unwomanly ambitions, she was an attractive young thing, and Arthur did enjoy talking to her. "It must have been hard as only lady among all those gentlemen."

117 Posts
3 Threads

She nodded.  "Unusual, it is.  Though there are other culinary schools that have a few female students coming up.  I was not the very first to gain that title, though I was the first for the school that I graduated from.   Things are changing.  Slowly, but definitely changing."  She took another sip. 

"There are several groups pushing for the vote for women.  I think that would make my father have a heart attack if I had gone into that movement.  That might be why he finally went along with me going into culinary school.  If he fought me too much, he likely feared I would start fighting for more freedoms."  She chuckled softly. 

She was not into politics enough to want to go do parades and make scenes as some did.  She did agree that women were just as smart and qualified to make good opinions and statements, but she just wasn't into making scenes like that.  As long as she was able to do what she loved to do, she was happy.

"It had some difficult moments.  Some of the chats would try to sabotage my assignments.  Some were not at all gentlemanly, thinking that my being there made me not a 'lady'."  She admitted. 

"Thankfully, there were some true gentlemen among the students and staff that dealt with truly inappropriate actions.  In the comments, I dealt with myself.  Words hurt, but would not let me move forward.  I'm tougher than that." 

She had learned how to deal with sabotage issues as well.  That was done among the men to each other as well and was part of the process.  The chefs were very competitive.  Those that graduated in the top ten would get much better jobs with higher wages.  She had earned a lot of respect among the teachers and the other students by the time she graduated.  Earning the 5th slot had given her quite a reputations as well.

"May I ask why you contacted me for your event?  There were likely several that you could have invited from London."  She asked curiously, sipping her drink.  "I mean, I am glad to be here, and looking forward to creating a lovely dinner for your group, but I am curious."  She wondered who of her contacts might have given him her name, or one of the guests of one of her clients.
Philanthropist

60 Posts
4 Threads

[Content warning: Sexism and class discrimination and gender complementarity bs]

Arthur nearly choked on his brandy when Miss Rosewine mentioned the vote for women. The franchise still had not extended to the very bottom of male society, and Arthur fought tooth and claw to keep it that way. It was bad enough that they now had to consider the uninformed opinions and preferences of near-illiterate factory workers. It was even worse that a few of the very same group had now managed to get a seat in parliament, and that he had to pretend to take them seriously as political opponents. God help them if the curs below that got influence as well. Trying to extinguish that fire was bad enough, without having to worry about women derailing the art of politics further. It would become a business of emotion; not to mention the larger societal dangers if women started acting like men. The Baron coughed, pulling a sour face, and put his brandy down.

"Apologies..." he said, when the burning sensation had left his airpipe. "Well, I'm glad to hear you had some gentlemen to protect you from the worst, Miss Rosewine." He did agree that her being there was unlady-like, but he also did not agree with misconduct towards a lady. I requested your services... well, for your reputation." Whether as chef or as circus act, that was another question. "I want to impress my guests, and you, Miss Rosewine, are quite the latest sensation, if my ears have not deceived me."

117 Posts
3 Threads

At his near choking, she set her drink to the side with a concern look his direction, willing to assist if needed.  However, he seemed okay after all, and she picked up her glass once again.  She nodded.  "Yes, there are men that know how to behave as a gentleman in almost every area of life.  Thankfully."

She was also tougher than she looks when it comes to dealing with the things in the kitchen and in the shops where she purchases her ingredients.  People try to take advantage of her there, but she has learned how to deal with that kind of situation as well.

Hearing his reason for inviting her to hire her for the event, was one of the reasons that many had hired her in London as well, however, after the event was over, she had not only gotten repeated clients but new ones as well.  She didn't mind being something new and unusual in the kitchen.  It got her new clients and the word of her skill had also been spread.  That is how most businesses worked, why not use it to assist her?

"Indeed."  She agreed.  She was proud of her work, though was not as puffed up as some of her colleagues could be.  She gave an honest effort with each job and worked hard to provide a wonderful dinner for each client and their guests.  She charged a fair fee for the job, not having the name that the famous chefs had, yet.  However, she didn't think it was right to overcharge just due to the name of the chef.  She charged for the groceries, time put into the meal, and the traveling she might be required to make for the job.  

Granted, she chose the best of best ingredients for each meal she created, unless the client requested a certain budget on that part of it.  She then worked with the client to make sure it was still a wonderful meal but within their grocery budget.  Her time, effort, and traveling was, of course, a set amount.