By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Mother Some More [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Mother Some More [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=865)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Mother Some More [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Rose Willaby - 08-10-2022

Rose remembered Mrs. Blacke well. Mrs Blacke used to live in the Cragg as well and she had been close friends with Rose's mother. And Rose had been close friends with Joe back in school of course. But after the death of her mother some five years ago, she had seen less of Mrs. Blacke. The Blackes had long moved out to the nicer terraced homes at Oswy street by that time, and Rose's friendship with Joe had already faded over the years while Joe worked at the station and she would gather bait, skane mussels, bait lines and help her mother with chores and her younger siblings all day. 

Then when her mother was gone, the contact had slowly faded. Perhaps the missing had just been too painful to spend her scarce time and energy on reminders of her mother. She had met Mrs. Blacke in the market and other places sometimes, and they would talk briefly, but Rose would always come up with an excuse to leave before it would get too personal and she'd feel the need to cry. Even those encounters had stopped when Simon had tossed their family into near ruin and Rose had been forced to go to York to work. And after she had taken the job at Mr. Meijer's... She hadn't even dared to stop long on errands then. God forbid she should provoke that ogre's anger.

She hadn't run into Mrs. Blacke yet since getting married, and so here she was, knocking on the door to ask a favour of a woman she felt she wasn't close enough to to ask. But Anne had assured her she was on good terms with Mrs. Blacke and the woman would be delighted to let her stay over until their father was released. Anne'd better be right.

It was late in the afternoon of the first day of the Regatta. Rose looked pale and absolutely spent. Her hair was starting to stick out of the bun on the back of her head and her fringe was everywhere except on her forehead. Her shawl had fallen down on her shoulders. Anne was in her Sunday best (which was now the black dress that she had bought with Mrs. Blacke) although she wore her regular shawl to cover her head, rather than the straw boater she wore on a Sunday. Her hair was in a neat long braid and still wet from her recent bath. But she looked miserable. 

Rose stepped back after knocking and gave her sister a little smile that didn't reach her eyes.

RE: Mother Some More - Lottie Blacke - 08-10-2022

Her men were away messing about with boats, like many in the town today. It was a silly thing to do really. Lottie was left to keep the hearth warm. The knock at the door allowed her a break from the bad vapour that came with refilling the oil lamp in the house, a mundane domestic task that Lottie didn't look forward to. She opened the door and it was two young women; she knew both women very well. One had grown considerably since she had seen her, the other -

"'Allo, Rose" she began, pleasantries were instantly forgotten when she saw the younger of the two women. "Anne!" her voice bright with joy. The last time she had seen that poor girl was -- no, she wouldn't go there. That mental wound was too fresh still, "Come on in, both of ye."

RE: Mother Some More - Anne Ward - 08-13-2022

Anne smiled briefly, a smile that did lit up her eyes, when she heard Mrs. Blacke's warm greeting. She was welcome, cherished even. She knew she'd be welcome here, but she had been afraid to go over for fear that her father would find out. Now, well, she was betting on him having other things on his mind once the police released him. Might even be grateful to Mrs. Blacke. Or so she hoped...

She followed her older sister in and visibly relaxed as soon as she had crossed the threshold. Entering the Blacke's home felt like coming home, and she knew she'd be alright while under Mrs. Blacke's wing. She even forgot Alice for a moment.

"Thank you, Mrs. Blacke," she heard Rose say. "Please, I won't keep ye long, but I had a request. Our father's... well," she looked rather embarrassed, "well, 'e got into a fight and they arrested him, and we're not sure whether they'll release him today or..."

Or whether he'd be kept in custody and be led before a Magistrate. Anne's joy evaporated.

"We've got Will staying at Maggie's and Bram and Ali- Bram at our place. I was... Anne said you wouldn't mind taking her in for a night or so..."

RE: Mother Some More - Lottie Blacke - 08-13-2022

Lottie said nothing about the misfortune that had befallen the Ward patriarch. She did roll her eyes and take a deep breath though. Plans had been made to disperse the children among the Ward clan, but had Anne had requested to stay with her. Lottie was touched. The last time the girl was here was sad experience all around. Hopefully Lottie could make up for it.

"Oh she did, did she?" Lottie asked in a tone half way between humour and gravity. Then she relented, how could she turn her away? "Alright. For a night at least. It'll give us a chance to catch up." Kate would probably be delighted. Complaints from the menfolk would be squashed ruthlessly.

Anne blushed and felt her stomach tie to a knot. Oh no! Did Mrs. Blacke not really want her here? Was she trouble? She had thought the woman would be delighted. How embarrassing! She had thought too well of herself!

The sisters exchanged uncertain glances, but Rose turned back to Mrs. Blacke. "Thank you, Mrs. Blacke. You really help us out. Should my father be released before tonight, I'll make sure to fetch 'er."

"It's no problem, Anne's a joy as a guest." Lottie replied. Hopefully the magistrate would see sense and keep Ben locked up for a good while. "Anne, dear would you like some tea?" She asked, ever the good host.

RE: Mother Some More - Rose Willaby - 08-13-2022

Rose breathed out the air she felt she had held in. "I'm glad to hear it, Mrs. Blacke. Thank you. If ye should need me, our cottage is the second on the north of __ street." And with that, she excused herself and left.

Anne somehow felt relieved when her sister left and she was alone with Mrs. Blacke. She did not like the way Rose treated her like a child. More importantly, she was dying to tell Mrs. Blacke: "Oh, Mrs. Blacke. I've missed ye. I'm so sorry I didn't come over before. I was afraid of me father. Oh and oh... tea would be nice."

With Rose gone, it seemed that Anne could finally let out some true feelings. Lottie simply smiled warmly and got down to be more level with Anne. With little warning, the older woman used her strength to pull the girl into a hug.

"I missed ye too, Anne." she whispered softly.

Anne hugged the woman in return and then as if on cue, she began to cry. She didn't mean to. But she had really missed Mrs. Blacke, and it was as if with those big strong arms around her, she was safe enough to let it all out. Out it came. Her shoulders shook and her tears spread into the fabric on Mrs. Blacke's shoulder. She sniffed as she tried to regain herself. "I'm sorry."