By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Things We Can't Unsee [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Things We Can't Unsee [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=622)

Pages: 1 2

Things We Can't Unsee [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Anne Ward - 02-16-2022

She hadn't dared to go near the house for some weeks. She had avoided the very street. Not so much because she was afraid of the Earl - she was, but that was another matter. But because her father had told her to stay away and she did not want to disobey him or be deceitful ever again. She had promised him and herself that she would be good.

But it was hard to be good in a world that wasn't right. The promise of money eventually lured her back, as much as the memory of money found in Simon's possession had kept her away for some time. If she managed to get enough money, she might be able to do something for Alice. She'd suffer her father's rage if that could save her. She'd compromise herself if it could buy Alice's health and freedom.

And so, dressed in her ordinary fishing clothes this time and with a wicker tray with coiled fishing lines under her arm, she stepped into the street she had been avoiding for the past few weeks. She glanced over her shoulder, but saw no one she knew. She made her way to the home as fast as she could without running and knocked on the door.

Please open fast, she prayed.

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Mr. Fraiser - 02-16-2022

It was Mr. Fraiser's turn to stay home to see to the Earl's needs, and Mr. Roberts was protecting Miss Pippa.  He adjusted his jacket and went to open the door when he heard the knock.  Looking at the person there, he immediately realized who it was even with a different kind of outfit that was worn, and he was surprised that she had returned.   They had all felt bad about how it had turned out for the lass, but when she had not come back, they had figured it was all for the best, especially knowing that the Earl had gone to her home to try and make it right.  That had not gone well at all.

" 'ello Miss.  'ave yu come tae visit with the Earl?"  He asked, figuring she had.  " 'e is at 'ome.  Come on intae the 'all and I will let 'im knae yu are 'ere, shall I?"  He stepped back and indicated she should come inside.

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Anne Ward - 02-16-2022

"Aye, ser," said Anne to the man she recognized, though she had forgotten his name. "Thank you," Despite her fear, she stepped into the hall as soon as she was invited, for she was more afraid of anyone seeing her than of the Earl.

For the moment.

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Douglas Gordon - 02-16-2022

Mr. Fraiser went into the main room.  Douglas was there wearing all this clothing this time, was sitting there reading a newspaper that had been brought in earlier in the day.  He had on a charcoal suit with a white shirt under his jacket.  Brown shoes at his feet.  At this point, there was no paint on his clothing, but it was still early in the day for him. 

There were several paintings out around the room amid the small amounts of furniture.  Each was of a series he was working on from around the beach and dock.  Common people, some working hard, some resting between tasks, some small children playing with mothers working, and some older people sitting and visiting.  Most were nearly finished others were about halfway done.  There were also some charcoal sketches that were to become paintings clipped to a blank canvas.

Hearing Fraiser coming in, he looked up.  "Who was at the door, Fraiser?"

"The young maid, Miss Anne Ward, My Lord.  Shall I bring her in?"

Douglas sat up and folded the newspaper.  "Aye, Fraiser.  I dinna think she would come back.  'er da was quite firm aboot 'er nae seeing me again."  He replied putting the paper over on a table as he stood up.  "And 'ave a tea ready in case she should like some."  He suggested as Fraiser turned.

Mr. Fraiser went back to the main hallway and nodded to Anne.  " 'e is ready tae see yu, Miss."

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Anne Ward - 02-16-2022

Anne could feel her chest tighten when the butler returned and invited her to see the Earl. She followed him, trying to walk steadily, but her legs suddenly felt weak. She was feeling remarkably hot. The skep with the lines was sitting uncomfortably on her hip. She hadn't dared to set it down for fear of getting dirt on to something.

By the time she was led into the room Lord Douglas was in, her face was redder than her hair. She did not notice the paintings, for as soon as she had glanced at the Earl, she turned her eyes down to avoid further embarrassment.

"Milord," she muttered. She tried to curtsy.

Alas, this was too much for her already trembling legs. The skep with the heavy lines pulled her out of balance. In an attempt to catch herself, she let go of the skep. One of the hooks scraped through her sleeve and cut her skin while she fell.

She was mortified. So much so that she hardly noticed the pain. "Oh..." She crawled up. Now the dirty lines were on the floor, the careful coils were tangled, and some of the snoods and hooks had caught on to one another. She could only hope that they hadn't damaged the carpet. "I'm sorry!"

Surely God was punishing for her disobedience!

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Douglas Gordon - 02-17-2022

He could tell that she was uncomfortable being in his presence.  He felt terrible about it.  He had not had another "episode" since that day.  However, the damage had already been done when it came to this young lady and her father.  He thought miserably. 

Though then she began to fall.  Douglas quickly went to her aid but not in time to save her from a fall and being hurt.  "Lass, stay still let me get something for yur injury."  He lifted his head up to bellow.  "Fraiser!  We need the gauze and some water with a cloth!"

He heard the rush of the servant's heavy feet running toward the storage room.  Douglas then looked down at the mess and shook his head.  "Nothing tae be sorry about.  Things like this 'appen.  And yu see all the paint stains on it?  I did that as I work.  Sae, the rug will need tae be replaced before I leave anyway.  Sae, nae tae be worriet about, aye? We can deal with that after we see tae yur cut.  Let's see how bad it is, aye?  That is my concern."  His voice was gentle and kind as he moved to take a look at her arm.

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Anne Ward - 02-17-2022

She was more concerned about the tangled fish wires and the damaged sleeve than she was about the cut in her arm. It was hardly the first time she had cut herself on a fishing hook. Yet she sat still as he ordered and merely shrunk a little when he approached. She held out her arm and only then realized that it was bleeding quite heavily. Another way in which she was soiling the carpet.

"Please, never mind that, ser... milord, I shouldn't 'ave come." Yet she dared not move.

He saw how scared she was of him and sighed.  "Lass, I will nae 'arm yu.  I promise.  But that needs seen tae.  Will yu allow me tae 'elp clean it up and wrap it?  Then we can discuss what you came 'ere tae see me aboot then, but only if yu wish."

He had paused his motion in her direction, but he was obviously concerned about her injury.  Fraiser came down the hall about then holding the first aid supplies and some water with a washcloth.  He looked at the situation and gave a frown wondering what had happened.  The Earl was not one to hurt anyone with actions unless in an episode.  He gave the man a look.  No, no sign of an episode.

"My lord?"  He asked glancing at Anne wondering what to do as it seemed both were very still there.

Douglas looked at Anne making it clear that she was in control here but that the two men were there to help her would she allow them.

RE: Things We Can't Unsee - Anne Ward - 02-17-2022

Anne hesitated, but then nodded, figuring out that this was the quickest way to resolve it. She'd need to remove the bandage before she got home though, so her father wouldn't ask questions. She'd bandage it again with some old cloth at home - say she had fallen and hurt herself in the street.

She unbuttoned her cuff and pulled up her sleeve. "Please," she begged. "Don't trouble yerself. I can do it meself." She reached for the washcloth.

Mr. Fraiser looked to the Earl, Douglas nodded indicated to allow the girl to do it herself.  He did not wish for her to be more afraid of him.  He still felt terrible for what she had seen and how much it had scared her.  He was rarely ashamed of things that he did.  But of the few, his episodes were something he was ashamed of and it was the least he could control.

Fraiser brought over the washcloth and put the water bowl down next to Anne's side.  He held the gauze and tape near at hand for when she was ready for it.  Douglas in the meantime started helping untangle the hooks.  He had seen enough do it, and even helped from time to time when he visited the fishermen and had made friends with them.

"As yu dae that then, per'aps yu would like tae talk aboot your need to speak tae me?"  He didn't want to assume what it might be.  He couldn't expect it to be to work for him again.  Not after what all had happened.  Perhaps she had decided to come for the wages and letter he had promised.