By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] [CW] [NSFW] Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] [CW] [NSFW] Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Ruth Longbottom - 01-09-2022

Ruth calmed down and turned back to the basket. She took a handkerchief out of the pocket of her skirt. Her skilled handquickly took two tarts out of the basket, wrapped them in the handkerchief and tucked them away in her pocket. Still eating the first one, she casually walked over to the counter and looked at the paper.

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Andrew Willaby - 01-09-2022

He'd seen what she did and didn't say anything. They were free tarts after all, and she seemed to be hungry. "If she ain't at the market or runnin' her errands, I am sure she is home."

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Ruth Longbottom - 01-09-2022

Ruth picked up the paper. "Thanks, sweetheart," she said and she walked to the door. She hoped Rose would let her borrow some money. The kind of borrowing where you never returned it.

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Andrew Willaby - 01-10-2022

He looked at her as she moved toward the door, or more specifically, the way her hips swayed as she walked. He bit the inside of his cheek and then said, "Are ye hungry?" Damn it, he hadn't meant to ask that question, but there it was.

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Ruth Longbottom - 01-10-2022

She already had her hand on the door, but turned and eyed him. "I could do with some food for me bairns..."

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Andrew Willaby - 01-14-2022

"How many bairns do ye have?" he asked softly, moving toward the meat pies and starting to place them in a bag. He half expected her to lie and tell him that she had more than she actually had, but he wasn't worried about it.

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Ruth Longbottom - 01-15-2022

"Two," she replied honestly, just because she didn't think of the fact that she could trick him on that. She slowly moved back to the counter. "Me husband's left us, so all the money goes to not gettin' evicted. Least were free of him." She was not above playing on people's pity if it meant more freebies.

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Andrew Willaby - 01-18-2022

He put six pies in the bag. It wasn't out of pity, but perhaps it was the only thing that could alleviate his frustration at the moment... perhaps a way of sticking it to his wife. He folded the bag and he said, "Do ye have a lad by any chance?" He was going there. He was going to offer an apprenticeship again to a young lad and he was going to keep Rose busy with their own bairns if he could help it... And if not, well... He didn't know.

"I am lookin' fer a new apprentice, ye ken? And with that comes a place ta live above the shop and plenty of vittles. I need someone who ain't gonna burn me bread." And, he thought, he would be helping. "But he has ta be willin' to put in the work. I'll be teachin' all that I know like me master did affore me."

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Ruth Longbottom - 01-18-2022

Ruth looked at the food greedily. That was generous. She should have come to this bakery earlier.

Hmm. Could James pass off as her kid. probably not, he was to old. On that note, she frowned and tilted her head. "How old d'ye think I am? My son's only two." Then she had an idea and quickly dropped the hostility. "But I can help out. I know how to make bread. I don't burn things." She gave him a desperate look. "Sam can 'elp out as soon as 'e's old enough. And until then I can ask me parents to look after t' bairns while I work, so they don't disturb ye."

RE: Bread Always Falls on the Buttered Side - Andrew Willaby - 01-20-2022

"Old enough ta have a five year old who is willin' ta start learnin' a trade?" he countered with his brow rising at her unnecessary hostility. "Ye would have ta take up ye bein' me help with me wife..." He almost sighed and looked away.