By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] And What Do You Think You're Doing? [Harbor, Beach, and Sea] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] And What Do You Think You're Doing? [Harbor, Beach, and Sea] (/showthread.php?tid=484)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Tobias Appleton - 08-19-2021

"Right. Let's see how you do, then," said Tobias and he handed over the reigns. It came in handy that the boy knew how to drive, so Tobias wouldn't have to teach him.

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Nat Walker - 08-20-2021

She took the reigns without hesitation.  Her hands were rough from the various works she had done the last few years.  They were full of callouses and very short fingernails that were rough as well.  Nothing pretty about them unless she would give them a lot of lotion and time.  She handled the reigns well for a beginner.  She did learn quickly as she had said, and had several lessons. 

"What are their names?"  She asked looking ahead at the horses.

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Tobias Appleton - 08-20-2021

"There's a good lad." Tobias said qhen he saw that Nat handled the horses well. "That one is Phil. And that one is Daisy. Phil's a bit stubborn, but strong as a bull. Ah yer doin' just fine, son."

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Nat Walker - 08-20-2021

Nat smiled at him with a feeling of pride hearing the compliment.  Then looking out at the horses and the road again, she called out.  "Good going Phil and Daisy."

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Tobias Appleton - 08-20-2021

Tobias smiled. He sat back and they drove on steadily for a long time. Finally, Tobias directed Nat down into the valley. They passed a small village. "Castleton is the next village, and then its only a little way to the farm. You must be tired. Let me take the reigns."

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Nat Walker - 08-21-2021

Nat made a note of the name of the town.  "What kind of places does Castleton have?  A way to send a letter?"  She asked thinking she could send a message to Gus from there rather than going all the way back to Whitby to let him know how she was doing.   She turned the wagon in the direction that Tobias had directed her.  Then nodded, handing him the reigns.

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Tobias Appleton - 08-21-2021

Tobias took the reigns. "Aye, there's a post office near the station. You can send telegrams from there as well. Other than that, a green grocer, butcher, all the usual stuff. There's a school next to the church." They passed through the village and on to a sandy road beside the river.

Telegraph?  She had never sent one of those.  She'd delivered some for blokes, but wouldn't Gus fall down in shock if he got one for himself.  She grinned.  Then her smile dropped at the mention of the school.  "That the one I would have to go to?"  She asked.  She would be able to pass all the exams if they let her just show what she already knew.  But it would be a hassle.

RE: And What Do You Think You're Doing? - Tobias Appleton - 08-21-2021

"Aye, unless you can show me your leavin' certificate," said Tobias. He wasn't going to take the kid's word for it. He wasn't even sure if he could legally hire the child without it. Not that anyone was going to bother about it - no one seemed to have bothered themselves with the child's wellbeing and protection so far. Still, Tobias preferred to stay on the right side of the law. His brother would know the rules, but Tobias wasn't that eager to get in touch or give his brother an excuse to be a know-it-all.

She nodded, with a look away.  She had to decide how much to tell this man.  It wouldn't be right away, that is for sure.  She still wanted to see how this job went.  "I'll ask them for the exams and show them I am ahead of those my age."  She assured him.  "It will be like before."  Or sooner if this worked out to be as good as it seemed to be.