By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Gratitude [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Gratitude [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=436)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 05-16-2021

"I see," she said, not particularly fascinated with dirt at the moment because of all that was going on, but she would indulge him for the moment. "What kinds of things have you found under the surface of the dirt?" she asked softly, her tone a little flatter than normal but she didn't seem to think he would notice.

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 05-16-2021

"Oh, several grubs, some silica, a few earthworms... it's startling how much life is just below our feet that we give little thought to." He informs her as he returns to his digging absently. She'd seen this more than a few times, the man's attention wavered quite often when he was working on something. Even when he wasn't really. She'd know she could safely leave now and he'd not notice her departure.

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 05-17-2021

She stood there for a moment and started to walk past him when she turned and looked at him, sitting there in the dirt. She frowned as she peered at him. Ruth kind of wished he would ask her what's wrong, but instead, he was lost in his own world again. She started to move toward the house and stopped, "Mr. Blackwood," she said before turning around, her eyes landing on him again. "Why are ye digging in the dirt anyway?"

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 05-17-2021

"Oh, I was just planting a plant that I heard was good for treating burns. Aloe Vera is what it is called. I have one in the library that I plan to grow under more controlled conditions but I am hoping to see if I can't cultivate more of them out here." He says humming happily as he continues to work.

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 05-19-2021

"I see," she said with a sniffle and then said, "Perhaps ye can teach me about it later." She gave a half-smile, bounced Jacob a little bit, and then said, "Good day, sir."

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 05-19-2021

The good day got Edward to look up to give her a cheery wave goodbye, which halted mid-action when he noticed her tears. "Good god Miss Blacke! You are crying, what happened?" The man finally picking up on the blindingly obvious.

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 05-19-2021

She froze before even turning around to walk away. Of all times for him not to be oblivious, she thought and grimaced. But instead of telling him all was well, the story came rolling off her tongue. "It's me husband... He stopped lovin' me and left me fer another. He's back in to-hown now and refuses ta come meet his son, let alone see me." Her voice broke. And then she realized what she had just done and flinched. "Oh, I am sorry, sir, please don't mind my noise."

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 05-19-2021

Edward blinks at this and considers it for several long moments. During that time the smile that was normally on his face slowly began to fade, it was incremental at first but as more time passed it turned to a frown, then a scowl, and finally a stormy look on his features as the man begins to tremble slightly. Pushing to his feet he gets up and strolls towards the groundskeeper's house calling out as he goes.

"Mister MacCleod?"

The big man pops his head out and blinks, he'd never heard Edward raise his voice so this was quite the surprise.

"Aye, sire?"

The big man says looking towards the weeping Ruth with a troubled expression.

"Get the carriage ready if you would."

The big man blinks in surprise, Edward had not asked for the carriage before. At least, not in a way that suggested he would need it for himself.

"Very good, take some time I have to get cleaned up first but afterward will be going into town."

There was a certain certainty to his voice that actually had Angus nodding and rushing off to get it done. It had been some time since Edward had used that particular voice, what he'd called his professor's voice. Then again, it had been some time since he'd had cause to get a class of young men to pay attention. Turning he heads towards the house to order Mister Lane to have a bath and a clean suit laid out for him, as well as a shave and a trim of his frazzled hair.

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 05-20-2021

"B... where are ye goin, sir?" she asked in surprise after he ordered the carriage to come around. She had no idea what she had just caused to happen within the man, but he seemed to have snapped. "What are ye goin' to do?"

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 05-20-2021

"I have never been so scandalized than by what you have told me Miss Blacke. I have every intention of going into town and giving this ne'er do well a stern talking to." The man says with an indignant huff before vanishing into the house to scandalize the staff by making polite direct requests, instead of polite comments, and showing an interest in getting himself tidied up for the first time in months. It appeared as though Miss Blacke had touched a nerve. Or, her husband had.