By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Gratitude [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Gratitude [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=436)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Gratitude - Ruth Blacke - 03-26-2021

She tilted her head. "I can cook, clean, do laundry, do mendin', whatever ye ask of me that is within the title of me job, I will do it. That includes emptyin' chamberpots and cleaning up after bairns." She was straight to the point. "I did help clean a week ago... and I helped put books away the way ye would in a Library, sir." She paused and looked down at her hands, adjusting her hold on Jacob. "Loyalty means too much ta me, sir, to take the word lightly." Ruth gave a sigh, picturing Angus' retreating back when she said it. He had certainly changed her point of view on loyalty. Her eyes met the man's and she managed to keep her thoughts in check for the moment.

RE: Gratitude - Edward Blackwood - 03-26-2021

"Yes, I was told about that," Ambrose says stroking his chin. "Surprised you didn't bring it up. Not only did you manage to galvanize my brother to the point that most of his books are finally on the shelf. Not only that, he ate a full meal and got a full night's sleep. I am sure it was explained to you that a big part of the job of the servants in the manor is making sure he stays alive. So tell me, why not bring that up?"

"I didn't want to come off as a braggart," she said softly, honestly. "But... aye, I did those things." She gave a nod. "I didn't see as there was a choice, ye see. I can't just let someone starve, ye ken?" she bit into her lower lip, then looked down at her hands thoughtfully. "And I will do it again," she said, "If ye see that I am fit ta hire, that is, sir."

"Stating the truth does not make you a braggart," Ambrose says dryly. "In the future, simply be honest. Humility has no place when one is looking for employment. But I cannot fault you for that, women are taught to be humble." He says as he considers her. "And what, pray tell, is your plan for the baby? Do you truly intend to work with him on your back the entire time? What about when he is grown? Is he to have the tun of the house as a toddler?"

She bit her lip and looked at the boy who slept peacefully in her arm. "Jacob is a quiet boy," she started, "He is no trouble to me... Ye see, he's only a fortnight old and..." she stopped, looking away from her son and off to the side, trying to hold herself together... "I suppose me ma might watch him." Ruth wasn't sure she liked leaving the boy with anyone just yet, but she would probably have to, she thought. "I don't want ta impose on anybody, so I've been carryin' him around wit' me wherever I go." She didn't think he wanted to know about her husband, but anything was possible at this point.

"I see," Ambrose says tapping his chin in thought. He wasn't not going to question the status of her relationship with the boy's father. That was neither his business nor his concern. "I will be frank Miss Blacke, all things considered, you are not the sort of person I would hire. Both Betsy and Eleanor have considerable experience and can handle the house by themselves. An additional maid would be adding another chef to stir the pot. A chef that comes with no skills not already on my staff and a child that she is, evidently, reluctant to leave behind who could create all kinds of additional problems."

The man lets out a sigh. "However, you managed to get my brother to eat a full meal, go to bed, and even tidy up a bit. Perhaps simply due to persistence and novelty, perhaps due to some innate quality to yourself, or maybe you just got lucky. Either way, I love my brother and I am doing everything within my power to try and make sure he doesn't...." He trails off but Ruth could probably fill in the blank. "Well, regardless. Talk to Eleanor, she will see about getting you fitted with a proper uniform. We will also see about having an area placed in the servant's wing that will be suitable for Jacob. With an extra maid on staff, Eleanor's duties will be a bit lighter so between the two of you, you should be able to keep an eye on him without having him be in your way at all times."

Reaching out he grabs a scrap of paper and a pen writing a few words on it before he seals it. "Your salary will be sixteen pounds a month. You will be given four pounds per week as well as food and board if you wish to move into the servant's quarters. If you choose not to do so then it will be on you to figure out how you will get to the house on time. Eleanor will schedule your shifts, take this." He hands her the paper. "Give that to Mister Lane, you are dismissed Miss Blacke."

Her heart sank at first as the man spoke about her not being the sort he would hire. Of course, she wasn't. She bit into her bottom lip and looked up when he said the word, "but." Her eyes lit up and she said, "Oh, thank ye, sir." He didn't know how much she needed this for a boost to her confidence. She wouldn't say, of course, but instead, she stood and dipped a curtsy as best as she could whilst holding the child.

She would most certainly move into the house, it would be a lot easier to make it to work on time. She thought about this as she walked down the hallway in search of Eleanor. At some point, she found the older woman and offered a greeting, "Hello!"

Eleanor looks up from the wash as Ruth enters and the matronly woman gives her a smile. "You look like you've got some good news." She says smiling as she straightens and cracks her back. "Did you get the job?"

"That I did," she said with a smile. "Didn't I?" she babbled to the babe who could not care any less as to what she was saying. "I was afraid it wasn't so for a moment there, I won't lie."

"Oh? Gave you a bit of a fright. Not surprised, when I talked to him about you he told me that I was going to have to make sure you were properly trained." She says with a nod of her head. "He wanted mostly experienced maids and I told him ye weren't that but ye seemed to learn right quick. And the extra hand won't go amiss, despite what he thinks. His brother needs more attention than Master Ambrose thinks, he doesn't want to full-on baby the man but that might be what he needs."