By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Be afraid [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Be afraid [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=380)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Be afraid - Noah Longbottom - 11-21-2020

Noah stared at the scars wide-eyed. "Bloody hell. How did you manage to fight it off?"

The boy liked to imagine that he was as brave as that and would be the absolute hero if ever he would go on an adventure, but considering the fact that he hadn't had the balls to actually try stabbing this guy - or to face the fishermen, or Alice, or to leave the town and start his own life... it was more likely that he was an absolute coward.

RE: Be afraid - Quentin North - 11-21-2020

"I had my pistol drawn in my right hand and I saw the animal before it attacked. I shoved my forearm firmly into its mouth so it would have to release to escape and fired the pistol next to its ear. I got a few scratches but the sound convinced it to run before it could tear me to shreds." He explains to the lad. "I had to change my pants after that one." He says with a laugh."

Noah smirked at that, even though he had definitely wet his pants in situations of conflict before. "Sounds pretty scary." he admitted. He began to eat again. "Is that how ye made so much money?" he asked, with his mouth full.

"No. I have made money at it. Usually by recovering treasure from sunken wrecks but the majority of my funds come from running my families estate. Wealth is typically inherited in this world, earning it from scratch is possible but hardly fair. I find several schools, scholarships, orphanages and more because of that." He says with a shrug.

This guy had to be really wealthy then. Well, no one had to explain to Noah life wasn't fair. Nothing was ever fair in his home. And he liked to use the unfairness of life as an excuse not to do shit.

But the notion of finding treasure in sunken ships caught his attention. What if he could just go look for treasure and make a lot of money that way? He wouldn't have to work for any twit who told him what to do, and he wouldn't have to slave for hours at the same job just to make a pittance. "How do you reach the wreck?" he asked intently.

That gets a slightly amused smirk from Quentin. The lord was in no way surprised that the boy had locked onto the prospect of treasure like a dog seeing a squirrel. "With a ship of your own and a diving bell." He explains to the lad. "Both things that don't come cheaply. And the research to accurately pin down where a wreck actually hit the bottom of the sea takes week and months of study of both historical records and tidal charts. But if you are interested in pursuing such then you are welcome to form your plan around it."

Noah's heart sank and he looked down frustrated. He should have known treasure didn't come easy. At was only the wealthy who were able to accumulate more wealth. But after thinking for a moment, he looked up again hopefully. "Can I come on your next trip and help out, in return for a share?"

"In one months time you can present me with any plan you like. Including joining my crew and going hunting for treasure. I simply need to be satisfied that you have thought it through entirely. Don't just chase a whim lad, take your time and think it through as best you can." He instructs the boy. "Take the whole month and give it as much though as you can. You are smarter than you think."

Mr. North might overestimate him there, Noah reflected, but he nodded. "Yes ser." And he went back to eating. He wondered if there was a way to slip some of the bread into his pockets unnoticed. He would love to bring the tuna, but that would be hard to carry in his pocket.

"Good lad. I think you might surprise everyone, even yourself." He got the sense that no one had ever thought Noah could do anything before. The lad had potential it was just no one cared enough to give him a chance.