By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Chewing on the Gristle [Harbor, Beach, and Sea] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Chewing on the Gristle [Harbor, Beach, and Sea] (/showthread.php?tid=25)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Chewing on the Gristle [Harbor, Beach, and Sea] - Benny Green - 07-18-2019

Benny had wandered from the others, which he didn't mean to do. He sometimes became easily distracted when he didn't feel a need to be focused. Being on land felt good under his feet though he certainly wouldn't give up the sea life for anything. 

His boots pounded upon the pier as he wanted to stay in view of the ship, but he paused looking down over the side at the water. Staring at the form of his head poking over the side, he stood back up straight and stuffed his hands into his jacket, pretending he wasn't up to anything. He stood tall with his chin out and slowly leaned against a railing and checked his pockets to see if there was anything to buy some food. He muttered a curse as he left his money back on the ship. 

Turning slowly, he started towards it humming to himself. One hand slipped up to keep his hat pushed down firmly, he hoped to get there without gaining any attention.

RE: Chewing on the Gristle - Benjamin Ward - 07-22-2019

Ben was sitting on one of the crab traps, fixing a net. His leg was poor, his heart was not great, and on some days he had terrible pain in his joints. But he tried to do what work he could to provide for the children left at home. His eight year old, Bram, was sitting on the ground next to him, working on another part of the net. When someone passing him muttered a curse, Ben looked up and gave the young man a foul look. He hated it when people cursed, and he did not want his children to pick it up. "Should wash his mouth, that fellow." Ben told his son, but loud enough for the man to hear.

RE: Chewing on the Gristle - Benny Green - 07-22-2019

Benny paused, about to pass them but rose his brow looking down at the two. He bit back the desire to curse back at the comment, but didn't want to cause trouble for his captain at a port. It would make it harder to return if they made enemies. He gave a sort of lopsided smile as he spoke in his more natural softer voice than his official, rougher pirate voice.

"Ah, sorry. Bad habits are easy to adopt, harder to break. Guess if I had a dad, I wouldn't have started such bad manners, eh?" He laughed and was about to pass by but craned his head back.

"Hey, any place around here you can recommend? I am quite famished."

Ben wasn't sure of that. There were plenty of young men around whose fathers drank themselves silly or who were ill-mannered. The children usually ended up just as bad. ... Ben had totally done a great job.

"There's plenty a pubs along the shore..." he paused for a moment. Curse he might, but he was also a famished purse of money. "If you have a moment, and you're not too sore, we have freshly prepared fish for a sweet price."

Benny looked from the man to his kid then back. He scratched idly at his smooth jawline for a moment. "I don't know. What kind of fish do you have. And how fresh are we talking?" He didn't feel like cooking but maybe he could sweet talk someone on the ship to help him.

"If it looks good enough maybe I'll buy some."

"Cod." Ben said. " Caught this afternoon." But he was no begger. He shrugged. "My daughters prepare the best dishes. The offer stands."

"Daughter, huh? " Benny wondered briefly if she was cute but then shrugged and nodded. "Alright, old man. Lead the way. And I hope this Cod is as good as you say." He smiled and put his hands in his pockets and started to whistle as he waited for them to finish with the net and they could all go.

The young man was not the politest, but if he had money it was worth the disturbance. "Alright, son, run along and tell your sisters to prepare their best for our guest." The boy nodded, rolled up the net for his father, got up, tipped his hat at the stranger and ran off. The old man pushed himself up with his stick and took the net under his arm. "Follow me then. Where are you from, son?" He didn't bother with the sirs. The young man did not look like a gentleman - nor did he behave like one.

Benny watched the kid go then looked to his father. He shrugged and offered to carry the net for the man. "I been traveling a long time. I originally came from London though.. I think. I was just a kid when I got on a boat." He laughed lightly as he walked along, taking the time to look around as they walked. "Are you from this town? Or were you born elsewhere?"

Ben gladly offered the nets to the young man, internally revoking his quick judgement. "Thank you." There was a time he could do intense labour all day, but now even small activities made him tired. "That's a long way to come, 'specially for a child alone. I've ne'r been further than York meself. Was born here."