By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] [CW] Strange thing, mystifying [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] [CW] Strange thing, mystifying [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=190)

RE: Strange thing, mystifying - Anthony Rowe - 01-25-2020

Anthony leaned into the hug, simultaneously very pleased and frightened by this affection. They're juet friends, though, so he doesn't really need to be afraid anyways. Yeah. "I guess I'm just really impatient," Anthony admitted. Maybe he was a bit of a fool to expect results in but a few minutes, but... "I know you don't want to...make me feel bad. I wouldn't dream of considering that a possibility." Anthony had to basically bite his tongue to hold back another self-deprecating comment.

RE: Strange thing, mystifying - Elijah Crane - 01-25-2020

Elijah nodded, "It is ok to be frustrated. I'm sure you wish it was easy and you noticed progress. It probably feels like you're getting no where. Don't let it upset you, you are learning its just not noticeable yet. It won't be until you can find yourself recognizing letters and words. When that happens, the rest will be speeding along in comparison." He squeezed him a bit to help the man feel better, though a part of him chided him because he enjoyed holding him too. "Why don't we start with letters then?" He smiled ready to drop the book.

That definitely hit way too close to home, and for a brief moment, Anthony entertained the idea of Elijah being a mindreader. He nodded as Elijah spoke, listening closely. Anthony smiled to himself as Elijah held him, feeling very...comforted by it. "I guess you have a point," Anthony stuttered. "and...okay. I think." Anthony didn't really know which way of learning would be most effective, and at this point he's managed to convince himself that he despises learning, but he's spending time with Elijah as well when he learns....so it's bearable.

Elijah nodded. "If you need a break and want some days without learning, don't hesitate.' He let him go and stood to find a pad of paper and a pen. "I'll write the letters and say them slowly.' He returned to his side, enjoying the contact he so desperately craved from others and never found the voice to ask. He held it out for him to see before carefully and neatly writing each letter and pronounced it carefully.

Anthony was a bit disappointed when Elijah stood up, but it subsided swiftly as he sat back down next to him and Anthony could latch onto him again. He nodded as Elijah explained what he was about to do, and watched and listened closely as he did so, repeating the pronounciation of each of the letters to himself quietly.

Elijah felt a small warm joy when Anthony seemed to enjoy the close contact and he couldn't hide his smile. He gestured to the letters to repeat them and then began saying a word that started with each letter to help give him hopefully better comprehension.

Anthony was beginning to think that he was getting the hang of this, but as soon as Elijah began saying actual words, he realized that he was in fact not getting the hang of this at all. He furrowed his brow briefly in frustration, but otherwise tried to power through the whole thing. He can't learn this shit if he just gives up after two minutes, yeah?

Elijah smiled and went back to the letters, showing off the sounds they made. "I think we are doing well for our first day. Don't you?" He tilted his head and smiled at his friend.

"I guess we are," Anthony said, definitely a bit frustrated by how slow he was learning but pleased enough by the fact that he's learning at least somewhat. He couldn't begin to understand how Elijah had the patience for this, but was glad that he was this patient, really. Anthony leaned in closer to Elijah, taking all his body warmth for himself.

"I think you are. You certainly know more than you started. It's very small progression. But that is still progress, and I'm very proud of you." Elijah smiled but froze as he was almost nose to nose with Anthony and felt like his face was red. He tugged at his collar and turned away. "A-ah.. would you like me to start dinner soon? I know you aren't hungry but.. um.. "