By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] [CW] Strange thing, mystifying [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] [CW] Strange thing, mystifying [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=190)

RE: Strange thing, mystifying - Anthony Rowe - 01-23-2020

Anthony smiled, placing his hand on Elijah's subconsciously, not even realizing that he did that. "You're too nice," he said. "but I'll accept the help, then." Anthony wasn't exactly humble as much as he just had surprisingly low self-confidence, but, you know.

RE: Strange thing, mystifying - Elijah Crane - 01-24-2020

Elijah nodded and chuckled. "I don't think it's possible to be too nice to someone unless it becomes unappreciated. As long as you want me and my niceness around then I think everything is fine." He smiled but then he finally noticed the hand. He then realized how many times he'd touched his hand. He felt something like shock though he tried his best to hide it. It was like he'd been wandering in the dark then someone lit up a giant sign for him to see that he should have really noticed long ago. Was he? What? No, this was just niceness and he was a wonderful friend that allowed Elijah to be his awkward self. He was really letting his mind wander. He wasn't going to be stupid and risk a wonderful friendship like he almost had with Father Richards.

RE: Strange thing, mystifying - Anthony Rowe - 01-24-2020

Anthony laughed quietly. "As luck would have it, I do," he said, finally noticing his hand on Elijah's, but (perhaps surprisingly, even to himself) also not doing anything about it—Elijah didn't seem to be bothered by it so it's fine, yeah? Anthony then rushed to tell himself as many excuses as possible so that he can think he doesn't feel something for Elijah. This is what friends do. Friends can be affectionate with each other like this. Anthony just hasn't had a good friend like this in a long time, which is why he's feeling so flustered and nervous and... alright, no more thinking for Anthony.

Elijah looked delighted and nearly took his hand but caught himself and just enjoyed the contact, telling himself it was just something lonely men who were friends did. "If you like, I can always start work a little late.  if there's anything you want to do?" He knew the guy never mentioned anything but maybe he liked playing cards for fun or something.

And Anthony was telling himself that exact same thing as well."Not really," he said, tilting his head slightly in thought. "but I'm open to ideas. Wouldn't want to keep you from your work, though." Doing things was...something that friends did. And they were friends (just friends).

"I work all of the time, and if someone needs me they can find me. So if I want a little time to myself it isn't a big deal..." He explained as his job did come first when he was needed.

"Well.. " He looked at the book that was still sitting out where he'd left it. "Would you like to go in town and get a book more suited to your tastes? It would give you some enjoyment when you're alone."

Anthony looked at Elijah as the latter spoke, nodding slowly.

Anthony gently pulled his hand away from Elijah's, glancing away from the man for a short moment. "Oh," right, so about that... "yeah, I can't read."

When the hand was pulled away he instantly pulled his own back a bit feeling self conscious like maybe he shouldn't have allowed it to last so long. It was nice while it did. He looked over curiously at the man. "Really? Well, you could have said so. I'd be happy to teach you if you'd like. But.. you know.. no pressure." He smiled weakly hoping that Anthony certainly wouldn't take it that he was thinking any less of him simply because he didn't get the opportunity to learn.

Anthony glanced away from Elijah, feeling rather...self-conscious now that he's admitted one of his faults. Most people tended to think he's a moron after they find that he's illiterate, and as he doesn't particularly like being thought of as an idiot, he's just tried to avoid admitting it if he so can. There was the rising panic of Elijah thinking less of him now that he said it. But that panic quickly subsided, of course. "Yeah, I don't want to waste your time with this," Anthony shrugged. He knew that the response would be something along the lines of Elijah saying that he's not wasting his time or whatever, but the fear of being a bother was already so ingrained into Anthony's mind that it was difficult to ignore it.

Elijah shook his head. He must have been an open book as the next words out of his mouth were: "You are never a waste of my time. Besides, it gives us something we can do together since we seem to struggle some time. If you decide you'd like to let me know. I wouldn't mind at all. " He smiled and tried to finish his breakfast. He suddenly blushed at the mental image of sitting very close to Anthony to help him read. What was wrong with him? He felt like a fiend for even thinking about that towards Anthony briefly. He had to clear his mind and remind himself to not think of any nice guys in his life as something to be desired. They were friends and deserved his absolute respect, he shouldn't taint them by thinking indecent thoughts.