By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Fa la la la la la la la la [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Fa la la la la la la la la [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=167)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Fa la la la la la la la la - Elijah Crane - 01-11-2020

"I think that means my comment still stands. I don't mean that one shouldn't want to get into heaven, or try. But that shouldn't be the focus. If I had to be uncaring to someone to focus on going to church on Sunday or do something my religion says I must do to go into heaven, then I will feel like I hadn't earned it. Even if I did everything right, if it meant being bad to people along the way I wouldn't be satisfied. But that is perhaps a matter of opinion. It isn't like I wish to undermine or ignore the rules. I do like to be good after all." He smiled though there was something false about it as he felt like he still didn't deserve to be rewarded. He felt like he'd still made mistakes, too many and too big to ever grant him access to any pearly gates.

RE: Fa la la la la la la la la - Gabriel Richards - 01-11-2020

Gabriel shook his head. "No, I think you're right. It's just that if you're bad to other people, you haven't done everything right, to begin with." He thought for a moment. "Although even then, there is always the opportunity of reconciliation and forgiveness, and God's mercy is greater than our faults..."

Elijah thought about some people he knew and loved but they were rather cold to others who didn't follow their faith. He smiled weakly, "I can't help but wonder if being bad and being cold and ignoring others is the same thing. It's good to have forgiveness. Though some people may wish it but do no believe they have earned it if they ever could."

The priest looked at him confused, not sure what he was referring to. He thought back to the man who had robbed him and shivered. "Forgiveness is never earned," he said. "I suppose if it was earned, it wouldn't be forgiveness, would it? But I suppose it is important someone acknowledges their wrongs..."

Elijah shrugged. "But forgiveness takes two people. One must truly want to be forgiven and the other must want to give it. Sometimes, someone does something big enough that simply wishing for it may not be enough no matter how sincere they are. But.. I mean. I am no man well versed in faith. I just believe what I feel and perhaps I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak about it." He looked embarrassed and stood. "I should wash this so your maid doesn't have to."

Gabriel thought, but the process was interrupted when Elijah got up. "Don't worry about it. She'll be offended if you do wash up." He paused. "You're leaving, then?" He did not want to sound disappointed.

Elijah paused when he spoke up and looked uncertain but slowly sat back down. He looked at him confused. Was he disappointed? It almost made him smile though he knew he shouldn't. "I don't have to. I can stay as long as you want me to."

He realized perhaps he should clarify that he just wanted to help the priest feel safe but somehow his tongue became shy and he remained silent on the issue.

Gabriel suddenly felt embarrassed. "I... I don't mean to keep you. It's late after all. I suppose I should go to bed and sleep it off, anyway." He didn't want to.

Elijah seemed uncertain. "Are you sure? I don't mind staying here on the sofa if you wish me to while you sleep. It isn't a problem for me, just tell me if you truly wish me to leave and I will."

Bad idea. "If you're sure it's no problem." Shit.