Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] All the boys to the yard
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

That had both men squinting at him. But Ben relaxed. "Life is hard. There ain't no room or time or money to fool around." Ben said, turning to Simon for a moment. Simon's mouth became a hard line, but he stared down at the net and said nothing. Rose cast her eyes down. Ben turned his full attention back to Elijah. "Eh, surely now that ye'r back, you can settle and find a wife and all..."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah stared at him with his own small frown. He didn't want to get on Ben's bad side. Life was hard, that was why it was so important to find the small joys you can and to make things easier on people whenever possible. He gave an apologetic glance to Simon then back. The change in conversation had him tug at his collar. "Oh, well I don't know. I have never been good at talking to girls and I'm not handsome. I am also so busy with my job, i do not know when I would find the time. But perhaps... we will see.. " He wouldn't do that, not to himself nor the poor woman that somehow found herself desperate enough to actually like the scarecrow of a man.
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

"You're too modest, Elijah. I'll ask around." said Ben, apparently unaware of Elijah's discomfort. Simon, on the other hand gave him a strange look, as if he was seeing him for the first time.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"Oh no.. Ben you're.. too kind. Honestly.." Elijah said, trying to hide his distress.  He didn't notice Simon or anything else. "I promise. I am alright. I fear I wouldn't give a woman the.. um attention she deserved. My job would always come first. "
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

Simon looked back at the net at last, biting the inside of his cheek. "Ah, but it's not good to be all alone..." Ben said. Jut then, Anne came out and handed a cup of freshly boiled tea to Elijah. "There ye go, ser." she said, quietly. She was a shy child, and her face tended to be as red as her hair.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"I am ok. I promise. Besides.. you know what that fire did to me. I could never ask a woman to have to put up with my scars. They can be so kind but I'm sure deep inside they would be horrified or disgusted ..."

A lump had appeared in this throat as he spoke and felt misery return as he spoke about one truth no matter what gender he liked they could never like him. He was grateful when Anne took him out of his thoughts as he accepted the tea. "Thank you, Anne. Very kind of you..."
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

Anne gave Elijah a shy smile and sat back down to continue knitting. "Our Alice is still in school." Ben changed the subject. "They say she's right clever and could be a teacher one day." The blonde girl who had been reading Bible blushed and cast her eyes down. Rose rolled her eyes. Simon smirked when he saw the reaction and gently kicked her leg.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"Oh?" Elijah was thrilled to have a change in topic and a lighter one. He smiled huge and nodded. "That is wonderful! I couldn't think of a better teacher."
Administrator

768 Posts
58 Threads

The girl blushed deeper. "Thank you, ser." she whispered. Rose cast her eyes up at the sky.

William and Bram came into the yard later. William needed a reminder of who Elijah was, and Bram could not remember him at all. But when they were told, they greeted him politely. They had dinner, and after dinner, Ben walked along with Elijah.

"So what happened in York?"
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah was happy to see the boys and didn't mind their lack of familiarity. He replied politely and friendly in kind.

After the pleasant dinner he found himself walking alongside Ben with his hands politely folded behind his back. He looked at the man curiously. "York? Oh.. you mean why I didn't remain? They said I wasn't tough enough on the criminals. I was too soft for the city.. better situated to being back home where murder is a rarity and it's mostly drunks and domestic squabbles.." He sighed hanging his head.