or Register?

[Complete] Not To Worry [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"
Alias: tomato

Oh, there was lot's Mable wanted at the market, even more she wanted to look at, but not much she needed.  Still, if Nettie was offering...

"Well, I really like looking at the dresses whenever I can."  And Nettie was a seamstress!  Mable jumped a little as she walked.  "I know how to sew a little bit!  I've had to mend my own clothes forever - my brother taught me how, but neither of us are very good."  How perfect it was that Nettie did things like that for fun!  Maybe she could teach Mable some of her tricks!

154 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'4"

Nettie thought hard on how much she had. "Maybe if it isn't too expensive.. if we see a nice dress. I can fix it up to make it better and make sure it fits?" The woman looked a bit pleased as she reached into her handbag and took out a handkerchief. It had some crocus stitched into the corner. "This is what I've done in my free time to show off my skills. I can show you how to do the same."
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

"Miss Nettie, please don't think you have to buy me a dress just because I like looking at them!" Mable said quickly, eyes wide.  "My dress is perfectly nice, I don't need a replacement already.  You're very kind for offering, though!"

Amazed, Mable took the handkerchief and traced the stitched with her thumb.  "This is absolutely gorgeous, Miss Nettie!  Well and truly beautiful!  I would love to learn, if you really wouldn't mind teaching me!"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie shook her head and smiled. "If you need one. I don't mind. If I can spare that much, and your dress looks like it could do with a little mending. You've done a nice job, but I think a few spots have appeared. I could always get some material and add a little ruffle to your dress, It would look different and hide some of the old mending if you ever want." She suggested, just wanting the girl to feel like she had something newer or nicer. She probably played hard and it happened. Nettie remembered how often she'd been disciplined for ruining clothing as a child.

"I would love to teach you. It isn't much, it just takes a little practice and patience." She loved the idea of it. "And if you want, we can work on it and you can make one to give to Father Brennan when he returned. I have given him a couple that he loved and he could always use another.'
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Mable looked down at her dress, a little embarrassed that Nettie had pointed out the lackluster job she'd done herself.  She did like the idea of adding ruffles to it, though... maybe Nettie could show her how, and then that's another thing Mable could do herself.

"Maybe."  She seemed distant again for a moment when Father Brennan was mentioned.  He had to comeback if he wanted a gift from her, and explain why he went away in the first place.  "I have lots of patience and plenty of time to practice!  So I bet I'll get really good in no time!"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie nodded as they walked along. "Then you will get it in no time! While we are out, let's pick out a few clothes to make lovely handkerchiefs. We can do a practice one for you to cover in different flowers as you learn, and another to make for my uncle when he comes home." She says with a smile. "Does that sound like a good idea?"
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Mable's tears had dried completely by this point, and she was smiling bright and wide.  "Yes, that sounds wonderful, Miss Nettie!  Thank you very much!"

She wondered why Father Brennan hadn't introduced her to Nettie sooner!  She was so nice, and very pretty.  Mable loved her!

"I didn't know Father had a niece, but he mentioned a brother to me before!  Where is he, your father?  May I meet him?"  She remembered that Father said he didn't get along with his brother, but she hoped Levi was still nice.

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie shakes her head and smiles. "No need to thank me. I'm so happy to teach you this. Then you can show it off to your friends or even sell them when you make them. People love handkerchiefs with their initials on them, and the fancier the better."

Her smile faltered at that. He mentioned Levi but not her? That was painful to think of but she just shook her head. "My father isn't a very good man, that's why he raised me instead for the most part. It's best you never meet him. As for why he never told you about me... "She shrugged but looked really sad. "I sometimes think he sees them when he looks at me. Or maybe he just likes to pretend i do not exist so he can live his own life independent of me." That feeling that he left to separate from her returned to her thoughts. "Let's do some shopping."
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Mable's smile fell as Nettie spoke.  So her father wasn't very nice either, then.  But then, imagining Father Brennan wanting to live pretending Nettie didn't exist at all made him seem not very nice either, but that couldn't be accurate.  But Nettie wouldn't lie, would she?

"I think all fathers are very terrible, sometimes, whether they realize it or not.  And whether they're really fathers or not."  She reached out and took Nettie's hand in her own, this time to comfort her rather than pull her along.  "Really, I think it's a problem men have.  I'm very glad to be a girl, if that's truly the case.  Also, I get to wear pretty dresses!"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie felt the small hand take hers and smiled. It might have been the first time in her life she felt like she'd ever want to be a mother. She squeezed her hand softly. "You know, you might be right. And I am happy being a girl too." She then giggled. "Maybe men are like the way they are because they can't wear pretty dresses. If they did, they'd be much happier and feel pretty too." She swung bet arm a little as she already saw the market coming up.