Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] How the Rill May Rest There [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

So she did take his cassock for a coat! Just as comfortable alongside Mable as she was with him, Malachi turned his gaze skywards and pretended to consider her questions.

He did not sleep in it, though he did not sleep much at all, for that matter. Did she liken him to a bat? Draped in a long black coat, sleeping up in the trees he could not climb? That would have been preferable.

“I have other clothes, but not here,” he conceded. In London he had plenty to choose from, if any of his wardrobe from before his ordination still fit. It should; his form had hardly changed much since then.

“It’s alright if this gets a bit dirty. I have others, and I’m perfectly capable of cleaning it.”

It might not have been the most proper thing to do, getting his vestments all sandy and wet, but was he supposed to just sit on the rocks and do nothing?

Malachi tipped his saturno forward just slightly, blocking the sun from his pale face. It was hot out, but the light appeared to bother the priest more than any heat.

“What about you, Eddie?” Malachi inquired, tossing a curious glance his way. “What do you think we should do?”
Banned

133 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: WOW!
Height: 5'4"
Alias: tomato

Edmund's gaze flitted up from his sister's face to the Father's, meeting his eyes for a moment before looking forward again, thoughtful.  He didn't care what they did, really.  Or, he did, but as long as Mable didn't get hurt or leave his sight, he would be fine.  Was it possible for someone like him to have fun at the beach on such a sunny day, so close to deadly water?

"I don't care," he said eventually.  There was a pause, and then Mable squeezed his hand.  Edmund rolled his eyes.

"Swimming would not be a good idea, I think.  I don't mind looking for shells, or digging, but it'll be harder for us to wash our clothes if they get dirty."

Very hard, considering the clothes they were wearing were the only ones they had.  Mable already had to sleep practically nude the night before, much to Edmund's embarrassment.  He is reluctant to be in a similar position.

"So shell finding, or digging," Mable simplified with the tilt of her head.  "Well, I know my brother would prefer to find shells, but I wanna dig!  Father, you'll have to break the tie for us.  What will we be doing, then?"
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Bit more difficult than Mable, Edmund was, but that was alright. He was sensible. Had the common sense to direct his sister back onto the most logical path of action, whereas Malachi had a tendency to stray farther when allowed.

“Let’s search for shells then,” he decided with a dip of his head. “When we’re dressed for it, we can dig.”

Would he ever be dressed for it? Unlikely. It still wouldn’t stop him.

The walk to the beach wasn’t long, per se, but it took long enough that the sun had its effect. His hat shielded his eyes, but God, he was burning up beneath his robes before he knew it. There was little outward indication of his discomfort, but he was glad for the salty breeze that blew in off of the water to greet them.

“So, Mable,” addressed Malachi, with all the prim and proper dignity a priest should have.

“What’s your strategy?”
Banned

133 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: WOW!
Height: 5'4"

Mable sighed sadly at Father Brennan's decision, while Edmund smiled.  He was glad he wouldn't be getting dirty after all, but the promise to come back another time and dig placated Mable to an extent, and that was more than other adults would have bothered to do.

The heat affected the siblings just as much as it did the Father, but only one of them was vocal about it.  Without shade to relieve her even a little, Mable discarded her jacket and handed it off to Edmund as well to hold as the group neared the beach.  She took a deep inhale through her nose and grinned.

"We should spread out in a line," she directed.  "We'll cover more ground that way, and find shells a lot more easier, and also not get in each other's way."

"I don't want to be close to the water, so I'll stay closer up here," Edmund piped, squinting against the salty breeze.  Mable nodded.

"I wanna be closest to the water.  Father Brennan, are you alright walking between us?"

Really, she should have been asking Edmund if he was alright with the man standing between them, but maybe she didn't on purpose.  Edmund's answer most certainly would have been no without taking a moment to think about it.  Because she hadn't asked him, he actually did have to think about it, and... there were worse people to be standing between Edmund and his sister, and he'd still be able to hear and see Mable.

He'd be alright with it, then, if the Father was.  Two pairs of green eyes stared up at the man, awaiting his answer with similarly open expressions.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

He probably should have offered Mable his hat, but it was one thing to let her wear it for a night walk and another to sacrifice it in daylight hours. As much as he would have loved to give her some shade, he hadn’t brought his glasses with him, and the bright sun felt even worse in his eyes than the heat.

Hands folded neatly at his back, Malachi gave a nod before he even noticed the deliberate way with which the children regarded him. It was only after the fact when he realized it was even a real question.

“Yes, of course,” came his easy agreement. It didn’t matter to him one bit if he walked between them or not – it was all just beach, wasn’t it?

Malachi took his place in the space between, continuing down the shore at a slow, leisurely pace.

“This is my first time down here,” he admitted, eyes fixed downward to search across the sand.

“I haven’t had much time to come this way since I got off of the ship.”
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"

It was so hard for Mable not to run straight into the water as she neared it.  Really, she only held back because her brother was with her now.  If it was just her and Father Brennan she wouldn't hesitate to jump in.

"Not even once?" she asked, incredulous by the mans words.  "You've been here longer than us!  What's your excuse?"

Even though she hadn't meant to, waves rolled close enough to lap over Mable's shoes.  She frowned at the feeling, hopping on one foot at a time to take off her shoes and socks like she had the night before.  Holding them herself, she gave Father Brennan a secret smile.

"We didn't have time to stay at the beach when we got off our ship so long ago, so now that we're at a beach proper again I need to make up for lost time.  I suppose we both do, Father!"

Her brother made a noise, and when Mable looked over she saw that he was already holding two very pretty shells.  Ah... she'd forgot to be looking!  Mable stuck her tongue out at her brother and got a smirk in response.