Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Of Cabbages and Kings [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

327 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'4"

Quote:His eyes were like black beads as they stared at the unwitting girl in the crowd. He'd finally found her, and now she would die. A slow smile played on the shadowed lips of the gentleman as he rapped the top of the carriage with the head of his cane; and then he said in his silken voice, "See that girl? I want you to follow her once she leaves the market. No questions asked and there will be a handsome reward..."

Pippa had her head down as she counted out money to pay for goods. She'd bought a bit of fabric to make a dress for herself, for she'd let out the frocks she already had, and the seams were starting to strain as her waist began to thicken with pregnancy. She had enough to make two different frocks, one, a Sunday gown of modest but good material, and a blouse and skirt outfit that would grow with her, as well as some undergarments. She had no choice but to part with her hard earned wages.

The summer heat was starting to get to her, perspiration forming and glistening upon her forehead. She looked to Douglas' man, who was not far behind her, watching over her. She nodded and he took the parcels despite her protest.

Once home, she entered the kitchen and cleared the table, pulling out the spare frock she had in order to trace it for a pattern.

Quote:Stupid little girl, he thought as he watched her enter the house from the back. It burned him that she'd gotten away from him those months ago, but now after searching for her, she was there and he was hungry for her blood. He licked his fat lips and felt that familiar burn of lust whenever he thought of snuffing the life out of every last one of her family members, she being the one who gave her the most burn. He fairly drooled at the thought of watching the light dim in those seductress eyes of hers.

He rapped on the roof again and made his exit from the scene before someone would suspect something.

She shuddered. Something was off and she didn't know what. She moved away from the table and through the house. She peered out the back door, but nobody was there. She could hear the rattle of hooves and wheels as they moved away from her, but she didn't suspect anything about it. Pippa wrapped her fingers around the tops of her arms and she took a shaken breath. She then moved to close the door.

For the next hour, she would look over her shoulder, check the doors and windows, and feel paranoid that something wasn't right. She couldn't concentrate on the gown and put it away for later.

Then she paced.
[Image: Pippa1.png]

372 Posts
16 Threads

Pronouns: All (depends on the presentation)
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=613
Height: 5'4''

Chéri had been in another bed, a new one, where they had slept and woken alone. Chéri had been in a new house, where they had talked and pleaded, but something had gone wrong and they were back here. They just hadn’t found a place for themselves yet. It wasn’t the first time, nor the second, but they had hoped there wouldn’t be a next time. The dread they felt was small and pinching, similar to a slightly too small shoe. With habit, one could easily forget about it, but it was different from actual comfort. One ought to keep the dread somewhere in the back of their head, constantly.

Chéri did not have a clear plan for the day, so they put on their pale blu suit, groomed themselves neatly rather than fashionably and reached for the kitchen. They felt comfortable there: servants always had been closer to them than the masters, despite popular belief. They understood their difficulties and their wishes, they understood how they lived and why they made the choices they made, so this felt like a good place to go to. Chéri entered the kitchen and saw Pippa shudder. They smiled slightly and put down their foot more audibly. They mostly walked like a cat, silent, graceful, so light they were pretty much inaudible.

They enjoyed that sort of virtual invisibility, but it really crept people out, so they made an effort not to do that in this context. They needed all the sympathy they could get and Pippa was one of the few people who had showed them nothing but patience and respect and for that Chéri was grateful.

“Hello. May I stay here a little with you? We don’t have to talk, if you don’t want. I can sing for you, if you want some company but don’t feel like talking yourself,” when they could speak french it was easier. In general, it was easier when someone could see them a little less like “the odd foreigner”. And they knew that probably Pippa would still look down at their lovely suit and maybe even secretly wrinkle her nose in noticing how femme they could be, but at least they could talk about… normal things. They missed that.

327 Posts
9 Threads

Cheri's sudden appearance caused her to jump a little, her heart hammering in her chest. She stopped pacing and stared at them wide eyed for a moment as their words registered. She held no judgment in her gaze for any part of them, but she seemed rather easily startled at the moment. She nodded softly then and turned to look out the window. Pippa sighed softly and saw nothing... nothing for the millionth time, she thought grimly.

There was nobody out there, nothing wrong, it was just her imagination it seemed.

372 Posts
16 Threads

Chéri bent their head to the side. The servant wasn’t there, with her head. Chéri knew the feeling and knew what it looked like. They were used to observed people in detail and they often did it even without meaning to “I didn’t want to scare you.” They said, keeping their voice a little lower.

“Where you waiting for someone?” it was a more delicate way to ask why she was so vigilant. Chéri talked to Pippa using formal language, trying to keep his french respectful not so much because of her station in life, as much as for the gratitude he owed her for making this part of his so far troubled experience in Whitby a little bit easier.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"Non," she murmured. "I was... working on a frock." She moved to the table where the uncut fabric was. "But I must have gotten distracted." She folded the fabric back up and put it in the basket she kept in the corner. Her eyes shifted to them and she tilted her head in the same manner almost. She then moved to put on some tea. "I am sure I could use some fortification... And what of yourself?" She thought about making up a batch of scones to distract herself with, for surely she was losing her mind if she was going to keep looking out the window.

372 Posts
16 Threads

Chéri’s eyes lighten up “A frock!” they commented “Would you like some help?” Chéri had been making their own clothes since they were very young, especially female clothes. It had been a creative outlet for a long time, something that belonged to them almost exclusively and that was not catering directly to someone else’s taste. They had acquired a certain skill in that and that could help them calm down. Chéri nodded “Tea works. I like it.” Chéri smiled. Somehow, they found themselves hoping to be liked by Pippa and quickly added. “I don’t drink if I don’t have to” people seemed to be expecting the opposite from them, somehow. And somehow seemed to dislike them less if they admitted as much. “Are you in need of a frock or are you making it for someone else?” they inquired.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"I am in need. I've already let my only frocks out and they are still slightly too tight. I suppose I need room to grow." She placed her hand on the not so noticeable, slight roundness of her belly. She looked away and moved to fill the kettle with water she'd already drawn up and placed it on the stove, "I would certainly not mind for some help though." She lit the stove efficiently, having gotten used to cooking.

"It needs to be my Sunday best if I am to find someone willing to have me in the state I am in." She huffed a little when she felt a few cringes in her back as her body slowly readied itself for carrying the extra weight about. While the kettle was heating up, she mixed the tea combination she had come up with that wasn't just plain, Earl Gray.

372 Posts
16 Threads

“Maybe you need something cut differently” Chéri guessed. They couldn’t be sure Pippa was pregnant, but she seemed to have hinted at it strongly. Chéri nodded and added “I have not made this type of dress before, but I think I can manage a two piece, easier if you have something older,” they spoke with the confidence of an expert tailor.

“Sunday?” her comment was odd “Are you getting married?” they asked, curious. It was not unheard of, but one needed a groom, normally. Or at least a designated one. Chéri was fascinated by the mixing. They stared at her hand. “Why do you put more together?”

327 Posts
9 Threads

"I doubt it but perhaps I'll get a spot of good luck for once." She snorted a little at herself and gave a smile anyway. When asked about the herbs she said, "It gives the tea flavor, and it helps ease the sickness I feel in my stomach." Pippa didn't know why, but she felt like smiling more around Cheri, perhaps because she liked them. She poured hot water, not boiling, into the teapot and let the tea steep. "And I find that if you boil the water, you burn the tea." She then moved to clear the table of the fabric and sewing things while the tea did it's thing.

Pippa paused as she set teacups on the table, looking down at them. "You may call me Pippa if you wish."

372 Posts
16 Threads

“You unlucky, mh?” it was more of a rhetoric question than anything. She was less unlucky than others, but still a pregnant maid. It didn’t look good. Chéri nodded “I knew a lady who used ginger,” was all they said, because they mostly believed Pippa knew better. Chéri rose their eyebrows, learning “Look, finally I know something useful about this island!” and laughed a little bitterly and too loudly, as they often did.

“Pippa, I like it. I am Chéri,” darling, precious one. It was not precisely a name, but it was something. “Have you been here with the Doctor long, Pippa?” they weren’t a chatty sort, normally, but they were enjoyning something that felt normal, after the mayhem of the last few days.