Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Inconveniences of the heart and soul [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]

134 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'2"

Her eyes met his and she had to bite the inside of her cheek. The man was not hard to look at and she wondered why he had chosen a life of the cloth and not something else... Then again, it wasn't her business and therefor, she would not ask. Her mouth quirked then into a surprised little pucker. He was encouraging her to spend money that technically wasn't hers to have yet, but the whole thought of letting a man court her while she sat like some ugly duckling, or so she felt anyway, wasn't how she imagined it going.

And then the man's words got her attention and color filled her cheeks. Why had he said such a thing to her? Did priests often call someone foolish for not courting someone? It gave her pause, of course.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

At the lack of response, Malachi dipped his head with a smile that betrayed his embarrassment.

"Pardon my casual tone, Miss Mason," he said, clasping his hands together and placing them over his knee.

"I just think that you do not have anything to worry about, in regards to being courted. If Mister Appleton does not suit you, I have no doubt you will find a man that will."

134 Posts
9 Threads

"And if it turns out to be just about the money, then what? Oh, this is so... confusing!" She pinched the bridge of her nose and then murmured, "Perhaps I am overthinking it, though. I..." She was literally at a loss for words with this problem of hers. "What would you do if you were in my position?"

It wasn't said in an accusatory way, but rather a legitimate curiosity toward his answer. Her eyes were filled with soft question, the stormy, gray eyes. She bit the inside of her cheek as she thought about it.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

What would... he do, in her position? Well, that was... well... if he was a young woman with the ability to marry...

He'd marry the lawyer, of course. If the lawyer liked him well enough to marry.

(Who didn't, though? Malachi was vain enough not to consider rejection of that kind. Marriage hardly required one to love one's spouse, and he could keep someone satisfied regardless of their feelings or lack thereof.)

Then after they'd married, after he'd secured the money and gotten all the entertainment he could get out of him, he'd take the lawyer out of the picture. One way or another, everything would be his, and his alone.

Naturally, Malachi did not say this.

Instead he said, "I would trust myself. If it does not feel right, then perhaps it isn't, but... do not let your worries stop you, if it does."

The priest was quiet again for a moment, and turned slightly to better face her.

"Sometimes in life you are presented with a choice. To continue down the path you know well, or to take a chance and risk your comfort for the possibility of something better. When you first came here, you were frightened, and exhausted -- there is more of a fire in you already. Why not take this chance?"

134 Posts
9 Threads

She was silent as she pondered what he said. Her mouth curled then into a slight smile and she nodded with understanding. She would be letting the lawyer court her then. Her eyes watched Father Brennan's face for a moment and then she said, "I think I understand." And then she smoothed her fingers over that severe, gray fabric of her skirts and she said, "I have a lawyer to woo, or, for all intents and purposes, a lawyer needs to woo me." She chuckled.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

It hadn’t exactly been his intention to play matchmaker, but, well – there were worse things one could do.

Malachi gave another smile at her correction, but said, “I’ll be praying that it goes well for you, all the same.”

Whether she was the one wooing or the one being wooed. Sometimes he forgot, distanced from the world of legal courtship as he was, that ladies were meant to sit idly and be wooed while the man was meant to put in the work.

“On that note, though,” he uncrossed his legs, moving to stand. “Sometimes it benefits to know that a man can appreciate being courted as well. Perhaps you can sweep this lawyer off his feet – metaphorically speaking.”

Yes… metaphorically speaking.

134 Posts
9 Threads

"I have never wooed nor been wooed," she said with a pleasant-sounding laugh. "I wouldn't know where to begin." She bit into her lower lip for a moment before saying, "But... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try." Her eyes squinted a little when she smiled. She really was lovely, though she didn't wear it like she owned it. She had never been vain, though now was her chance to be Cinderella, from rags to riches... but was the lawyer her prince charming? Would he be the one to test the shoe on her foot?

She stood as well, "Thank you for your advice... and your prayers." She reached up and tucked a stray lock of hair away from her face.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Did anyone ever know where to begin? If there was anything that a priest could not be expected to help with, surely it would have been how to go about courting and being courted by a man.

Fortunately for Miss Mason, this particular priest had a lot of experience.

('Experience.')

His smile was fixed as he watched her stand, and he dipped his head in a nod.

"Of course," said Malachi. "I have faith that things will work out for you. And if you ever need anything else of me, I am always happy to help."

Or to officiate weddings. He could do that.

134 Posts
9 Threads

She paused at that, biting her lip. Then she nodded, "I appreciate that, Father." She hesitated to leave though... something else on her mind. She didn't speak her mind right away, but rather, gave thought, opened her mouth, only to let a breath out. Then she let a breath out, and said, "Where does one go for... womanly advice?" And then her cheeks reddened.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Whatever he had been expecting to come out of Miss Mason's mouth, upon noticing her clear hesitation... it was not that. Almost immediately, the priest tilted his head, eyebrows slightly furrowed as he considered her question. He did not mind helping anyone through whatever troubles they faced, but... well, he was not a woman.

"That... depends on what kind of advice you seek, Miss," Malachi started, careful to keep his voice free of judgment. He did not want to embarrass her any further, after all, or make her feel awkward for having asked.

Still, there was little he could do without knowing what kind of help she needed.

After another moment's consideration, he continued, "if you are in need of medical advice, I believe there are several respectable doctors in town that I could contact for you. If you are looking for general advice from another woman, I would suggest stopping by the women's boarding house near here and speaking with the owner, Miss Clarke."

His niece seemed to like her well enough. Malachi gave another polite smile.

"And of course, I am always willing to speak with you about whatever you wish, though I cannot claim that as my area of expertise."