Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] It's Gonna Be a Train Wreck [Railway Station]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

Anne smiled shyly at that. "Ye'r welcome," she said very softly.

He was actually very nice. For one, he talked to her, a fisherlass. And furthermore, he was actually appreciative of what she did. Or should she be suspicious now? She didn't want to be. It was nice having someone be nice to her. Her brothers were always taunting her or not listening to her. Her father could be nice, but could also be terrifying, and she never knew which side of him she would encounter on a given day. She was friends with some of the fisherlasses but they could also say hurtful things, like "Oh Anne how brave of you not to wear a corset," when she was wearing a corset and then laugh, or whisper and giggle in a way that made her feel insecure. And those outside of her community seemed to see her people either as dirty and lowly or as some fascinating species in the zoo. Kate and Mrs. Blacke were nice to her, but she wasn't allowed to speak to them anymore. So yes, actually she rather enjoyed this man's kindness.

"What do ye do, ser?" Was that impertinent? But he had started the conversation.

108 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 6 feet
Alias: BlackAck

"Me? I am a barrister." Nate answered. How could he explain it to her? He meant not to insult her, but if she worked with fish, her education was probably limited. "I work in courts, I know the law."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne was not insulted that he explained it, for she had needed the explanation. She suddenly sat up straight and looked at him with an eagerness in her gaze. He knew the law. And he was nice. "That... sounds very interesting, ser..." she began. "Can... Would ye mind if I asked sum't about law...?"

108 Posts
2 Threads

Nate considered it and the questioner for a moment. Usually when Nate mentioned his work, older men would huff about some point of legal nuance, and older ladies would try matchmaking him with eligible daughters or nieces. Questions from shy fisher-lasses were more of a rarity. This lass, though young, was blossoming and would probably be breaking some fisherlad's heart soon enough. Nate could usually be swayed by a pretty face.

"Of course. What is yer question?" Nate's polished accent slipped just enough to betray his local roots.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne couldn't believe that this opportunity presented itself here, so unexpectedly. She had to make sure not to get so excited that she lost her mind and blew it. "Well..." she began. She dropped her voice in case anybody listened. "How do people get a divorce?" Even though she hadn't mentioned anyone specific nor any details, her face turned crimson, as if she had been caught doing something illegal.

108 Posts
2 Threads

"You look a little young to be married, Miss. Do ye know someone thinking of divorce?" Nate asked, his tone lower than before, talking about this taboo.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne looked at him for a moment and then decided to trust him, because... well... he had been nice to her and he was a barrie... barreter and he could help. "My sister was pressured into a marrying a man she doesn't love and she's very unhappy, ser." Her voice was almost a whisper.

108 Posts
2 Threads

"I'm sorry, that's most unfortunate." Nate answered. "Divorce is very difficult and very expensive. There is a court in London. There a wife must prove her husband is unfaithful, and is cruel, and/or he has deserted her and her family."

It was a practical impossibility for this girl's sister to be free. Because she had lost the divine lottery and had been born poor.

"I'm sorry. If it is a consolation, if your sister is married and has money of her own, she can keep it. It is hers alone."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne seemed to visibly shrink and her face dropped when she heard it once and for all from a man of the law. Mrs. Blacke had said there was nothing anyone could do for Alice. But Mrs. Blacke wasn't a legal expert. That was what Anne had told herself to comfort herself and keep hoping. And hope she had done. Hoped and prayed and gotten a job that frightened her. All because she had to believe she could save her sister. Now that hope was crushed for good.

There was a lump in her throat and she could feel tears burn in her eyes, but she wasn't going to cry here on the train in front of this stranger. She looked down and clutched her bag so tight her knuckles lost colour. "Thank ye, ser," she whispered.

The train stopped and Anne looked out, wishing it was Castleton, so she could run out, but it was an earlier stop.

108 Posts
2 Threads

Nate studied his travelling companion and couldn't help but be moved. The poor always seemed to get the short end of the stick. When would their lot improve? Not soon enough for this fisherlass's sister.

"That's not what you wanted to hear is it? What's your sister's name?"