Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Nate's Day in Court [Doctors, Constabulary, and Court]

108 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 6 feet
Alias: BlackAck

Nate had borne the train journey from Castleford with grim stoicism, secure in the knowledge that today he would be free from his brother – and on the late train back to the comfort of Leeds.  He took the steps of the Magistrates two-at-a-go, as if his pace would speed today up.  He wasn’t even worried about his lack of judicial attire, for this was to be a private meeting with Judge Culpepper and not before the bench.  Even then he could borrow a robe. Nate just pushed the door and walked right in.  The hallowed courts of law, the polished marble crucible of justice, this was a place he understood. Nate planted both hands firmly on the wooden clerk’s desk.  He was in a good mood. No. A great mood.

“Mister Nathaniel Appleton to see Judge Culpepper; I am expected.”

“Appleton?  Yes sir.  One moment sir. I think we have a telegram ‘ere for an Appleton…” the rummage of paper “Yes. ‘ere we are, sir.”

Nate tore open the message, it read as follows:

To: Nathaniel Appleton
Message: YOU ARE NO LONGER EMPLOYED BEDFORD STREET EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. SEND ADDRESS FOR FUTURE CORRESPONDANCE.

Nate’s mouth dropped open as he re-read the message again.  Surely there must be a mistake?  The message did not magically change.  His eyes were working just fine.  He crumpled the note.

“Trouble sir?”

“I’ve just been dismissed.” Nate words seemed distant, foreign, like they were coming out of someone else’s mouth.

“Sorry to hear that sir.  Would you like me to inform Judge Culpepper?”

“Surely, he still wants to see me?”

“I can check for you, sir. If you’ll wait there a moment.”

And wait he did. That first moment met another moment, fell madly in love, married, and had innumerable children.  Eventually, a small man in a tidy suit approached Nate who was now crumpled on a bench in the corner with a long stare lost in the blankness of shock. 

“Mister Appleton?” Nate roused his senses as the man continued. “… and I am the judge’s clerk.”
“Um, yes.” Nate covering that he had completely missed the man’s name.  “Will the judge see me?”

“His Honour Judge Culpepper only wishes to consult with legal council provided by Bedford Street Chambers of Leeds.”

“Is he aware that – “it was still too painful and raw “…of my situation?”

“He is.”

“But all I’ve done is come all the way down here at his request!” His voice rising in volume enough to draw some glances. “Surely you could-“ the clerk cut him off.

“I am afraid Judge Culpepper is most resolute in this matter. I am sorry, sir.” The small man in a tidy suit made the glimmer of nod to an attendant who loomed large at Nate’s elbow.

“This way, sir.” The attendant announced. The ornate outer door closed behind Nate before he had a chance to complain further.  Nate stood on the steps with his mouth slightly open and a deep frown on his face at his new reality.  He was then struck by two thoughts:

1. What the bloody hell do I do now?
2. Oh God! The Gloating from Toby.