Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] First day on the job..... [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

117 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: her/she
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=366
Height: 5'5"

That plan seemed wonderful to her, and if Angus was as good about it as Eleanor suggested, one less thing for her to deal with and she could focus on making the food.  "I was thinking of using some of that chicken you have in there for lunch.  I heard one of the other students calling this recipe 'Drunken English Somerset Cider Chicken With Honey'."  She grinned.  "I was thinking with steamed greens and mashed or baked potatoes.  Which do you think you could do those items while I make the chicken dish?"  She asked.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

"That's quite the name fer a dish." Eleanor snort in amusement at the absolute mouthful of it. "As fer the chicken, aye ye can have that. I was making cottage pie tonight fer the servants and staff so I'll make some extra mashed potatoes for ya when I do that. No trouble at all love." Eleanor smiles and then gets back to bustling about the kitchen. Little Jacob was there as well, in his crib burbling happily and occasionally getting some attention from the Head Maid. Vela would soon learn that the woman acted as babysitter for the child while Ruth was working, part of why Eleanor stayed mostly in the kitchen at present.

117 Posts
3 Threads

She giggled lightly.  "Yes, it is quite a mouthful and not as full of alcohol as it sounds."  She added with a grin.  "I appreciate the help, thank you."  She went and gathered the ingredients and needed tools to create the dish.  Before getting started, she wiggled her fingers over the baby with a smile. 

Very quickly, she then set up the oven at the required heat.  Washing her hands before beginning, she then cut up the chicken and put the pieces in a single layer in the dish.  In another bowl, she mixed up the English mustard powder, salt, black pepper, 1/4 pint of cider, some oil, and a heavy dollop of honey.  After mixing those ingredients well, she poured them over the chicken. She let it stand for about an hour letting the chicken soak in the liquids.

While that happened, she then started making some of the snacks she would begin putting in where Edward worked.  She would keep an eye to see which ones were most picked up and munched on and make sure those were out there for him.  The seed crackers she made first were made of pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, salt, and water.  They were easily made, thus why she chose them first. 

Once she had made them she cut them into small diamonds that were about a palm-sized portion to be picked up and just take a bite while working.  Once those were done, she put the chicken into the oven, and over the next hour, she basted the chicken periodically.

She washed her hands often between steps and having a moment two, she took a break to look over to Eleanor.  "I am going to take some air, if you don't mind keeping an eye on the chicken?"  She asked wiping her hands dry.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Vela would find that the kitchen was quite easy for her to work in once she got her personal tools situated. It was obvious from the layout that Eleanor must have been involved in the renovations. The layout obviously focused on what was practical for the space rather than on aesthetics. Though everything was still obviously new and well-tended for. In short, it was a good kitchen for her to work in, maybe not the best she could imagine but certainly far from the worst.

"Oh, of course, poppet that's no trouble."

Eleanor assures Vela as the chef finishes preparing the first meals. The head maid had watched the process with a level of curiosity, clearly quite impressed with what she'd seen. As she'd said earlier she only knew traditional British cuisine so such fancy foods were a delight for her to see prepared.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela smiled and went out to the yard just to get some air.  She found herself going back to where she had seen Edward working with Angus earlier.  Though she paused several times to take a sniff of this flower or another.  Wiping a bit of stray hair up into her bun, she took a deep breath and just enjoyed the day.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Vela would eventually smell something other than flowers, she would smell smoke. Once she made it back to the driveway she would find Edward sitting in the grass jotting notes on a piece of paper while Angus watched behind him the big man's expression nervous. The trenches Edward had dug in the dirt were now filled with fire, if she watched she would see that it was spreading further down the driveway at a steady rate.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Eyes going wide, Vela looked at Angus with her own worry.  She moved over to Edward.  Not wanting to startle him but concerned, she asked, "Would you like me to bring some water to stop that fire from going too far?"

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Gotta a bucket righ' here" The big man says with a low voice not wanting to disturb Edward. Not that this was likely with how focused the man was. "Trenches are supposed ta keep the flame in check. But aye, can't blame ye fer being worried lass." Perhaps due to exposure, the man's accent was a bit easier to understand today. He looks at her with a slightly concerned expression. "I ain't got a single clue what he is trying ta do right naw. Something about wanting ta ken how long things take ta burn."

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela gave an appreciative glance to Angus for the information that there was a bucket nearby.  Then looking at Edward, she gave a thoughtful comment.  "I have heard of people that become so focus on flames that they just light things to watch the fire.  Some can become dangerous to themselves and others.  He is still more studying how to stop fires, right?"  She asked quietly, glancing back at Angus.  She could understand the man's interest in fires after his history, but could he have become mentally unhinged completely due to it?

312 Posts
2 Threads

This seemed to have gotten Edward's attention as he looks up and spots her. "Ah, Miss Rosewine! When did you get here? You needn't worry, I've procured some standard building materials and I am testing to see how long it takes for the fire to consume them. Tracking how long it takes to get from one end to the other. This is the control, once I have a good baseline I have more lengths of wood." He pats the pile next to him. "That I've treated with different chemicals. I want to see if any of them reduce the speed at which the fire burns or perhaps even stop it from igniting."