Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Draw Me Like One Of Your French Girls [Market, Shops and Spas]

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

It was pricy for a doctor just starting his own practice, but it was what he had expected and calculated. He'd manage.

He'd be damned before he let his brother help him.

"That would work, both doing the study first," - especially if it meant he'd have to spend less time sitting still - "and the price. Flowergate is just across the bridge, straight ahead and up the bank. I'm close to the bridge."

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Giving the doctor a look, he spoke with a questioning tone.  "I sometimes work in trading skills with my clients.  Would you happen to be interested in something like that?"  He asked.  "If you wouldn't mind working with some poorer areas, that is."  He added watching the doctor's expressions very closely.  He would not want snobs going to see the family he had in mind.  Or anyone, for that matter.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan frowned lightly. The man in front of him looked strong and healthy, though he knew of course that not all illness showed on the outside. "Why, of course, what can I help you with, my lord?" he asked. This would suit him better actually, since it would safe money, give him a client, and hopefully a network.

280 Posts
8 Threads

"I do a lot of my personal drawings and painting around the town. I've been meeting a lot of people in the less wealthy areas of town, well, to be honest, the poorest of the poor areas.  I've made friends with some of the families.  As you know often along with poverty comes illness and injury.  They won't let me give them money, though I have arranged to 'sharing' my picnics with the family from time to time.  But I would like to have a doctor look at a few of the family members, say a 'free clinic'?"  He gave the doctor a look to see what he might react to the suggestion.

"I would fund it, but I'd like to keep that quiet."  He explained.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan was a little surprised, but positively so. His interest and appreciation grew and he couldn't help a small smile breaking through. "That is a noble thing to do, my lord, and I'd be happy to help." He thought for a moment and added. "My only concern would indeed be the funding when expensive medication is needed. I'd be happy to check people and advice, but I have just opened my first practice and am afraid my... own means for charity are limited."

He had said more than he had wanted and could feel how he became a little flustered. It wasn't decent to discuss finances with a practical stranger, and especially not the struggles hidden underneath the proud and comfortable middle class façade that society expected him to hold up. "Of course simple medication would be no problem as part of our agreement," he added.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Seeing how the doctor reacted to his offer, Douglas's face spread into a smile.  "If something is needed let me know.  I will see what I can arrange for it to be delivered to you for the clinic.  They are good hard-working people.  I want to help them, though they can't know it is from me.  Perhaps you could say you have received a sponsor?"

He thought about it.  "In fact, I could do that.  We can say for each day you work with the people there on a "free clinic" with any medications, it will go through a day for the painting I am doing for you?  Then if you do more work with this clinic, I will pay you for your own personal practice?"  He suggested.  "If you need something for them that is more costly than this arrangement, let me know.  I'll see what I can do to get it for you."

"Once I leave, we can make an arrangement then.  This is not my long-term home.  I came through and ended up seeing so many areas and scenes that I stayed longer than planned."  He explained.

704 Posts
11 Threads

It was a very advantageous deal. Not only was his own workday worth far less than what he would have to pay the painter for a workday, was he to pay in money; it might even bring income after the painting was done. He worried a little that he might get in trouble with other physicians for harming the market if he would offer a 'free clinic', but then, it wasn't really free. And it was too tempting not to accept.

"I'd be very happy with that deal, si- my lord." He looked at the painter hesitantly. "Might I... invite you to dinner at my place before you start the work. Then I could show you the study while you're there and where everything is, and you can begin at ease once you start painting."

280 Posts
8 Threads

He first gave a wave at the title.  "First of all, I think we will have a great arrangement here, and think we will become friends.  Please, just call me Douglas.  Besides some of the people that you will be working with only think I am a traveling artist."  He frowned.  "Though it is spreading faster than I had hoped."  He paused.  "When I go on these trips to paint, I don't like the fuss of a large party, especially when the local gentry mamas find out I am single."  He gave a grimace.

At the invite to the doctor's place for a meal and to see the study, he nodded.  "That would be great.  Just let me know when and where."

"In the meantime, please find a place in that area where this clinic will be and pick a place that is open for you to set up the clinic, and send me the invoice for it.  I don't have a clue what you would need space-wise and furnishing.  So, I leave that all to you."  He explained.

He was always doing these kinds of things, but this was the biggest one he had invested in.  As he was staying so long, and it was so much better than spending all that time in the London social life that irritated him, he felt he should give back to the local life of the common citizens.  He would need to go back to Scotland but not for awhile yet.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Tristan was surprised that the man asked him to address him so intimately and he couldn't help a small frown. He tilted his head a little when the man mentioned the gentry mamas, and there was a sparkle of the eye. Convinced that they would become friends, was he? Tristan's interest certainly grew.

"Tristan," Tristan reintroduced himself informally, when the artist was done talking. He sat back, a little more relaxed now and he added with a small smile: "I shall do my best to shelter you from the marriage market." Then he continued more seriously: "Now, as for the clinic, I already have my own. With all due respect, but it would seem wise to me to pay house visits, if you could give the the addresses of these people, rather than opening a public clinic for the poor. It might be a breach of the poor law and compete with the work house infirmary." After all, poor people who couldn't provide for themselves were supposed to go to the work house. "And if other doctors find out that I am offering free medical service, they might accuse me of spoiling the market. I too would prefer to keep a low profile in this matter, especially since I am a newcomer."

280 Posts
8 Threads

At Tristan's agreement to shelter him from the marriage market, he chuckled.  "It isnnae that I am against the idea of marriage, understand, but I would 'ave it of my own choice and arrangements.  Not some busybody mama or daughters that want the title."

Douglas listened as his companion spoke of the issues that could come up.  He had not thought of those things.  He was not familiar with all the rules, all he had seen was all of the people that he had met as he had been through the areas and gotten to know and the medical needs they had.  He took care of those that lived on his land back in Scotland.  Now that he had kind of planted a sort of temporary home there in Whitby, he had felt the urge to give back to those there.

"Of course.  My apologies.  This is all off the top of my head as we talked.  I should have thought it out, but the need is so much for some of those I have met.  I can't ask them if it is okay for you to visit them as a doctor without giving away that it is me setting it up."  He gave a bit of a concerned frown.  "They are not the kind to ask for charity either." 

"Perhaps you have an idea of how to help them?" He gave the other man a worried frown.  Perhaps bringing in a clergy member into our plan?  That would be someone that would know the of the families' needs and hearing of someone that was tending the sick among the poor?  Though what if they were not of the religious type?  His thoughts were racing in his mind.