Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Reporting Back [Hotels, Pubs, and Accommodations]
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Height: 5'9''

It had been a month since his encounter with Mr. North and Noah stood in front of the restaurant, waiting and wondering whether the man would show up. He had been promised another meeting and possible support, but Noah knew better than to attach much value to it. Rich people liked to feel generous and bestow charity on the people below, but only when it suited them, and Mr. North might well have moved on to a new philanthropic project and have already forgotten Noah and his brother. 

He leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets and bit his lip. If Mr. North did show up, at least he had something to tell. He just hoped the man wouldn't ask about the five pounds and wouldn't disapprove of Noah's choice of 'vocation'. It had been hard enough to come up with something and find a place that would hire him. But rich people could make odd demands. So yes, he was a bit nervous.

448 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'4"

Pulling out his pocket watch Quentin checks the time, then sweeps his gaze over Noah. The boy hadn't noticed him yet but would shortly Quentin was sure. Still, the lord wanted to take stock of the state of the boy's clothing. This would give Quentin some idea of how Noah had made out over the last month.

Then the big man crosses the street and awards Noah with a smile. "Ah, young mister Noah. I am pleased to see that not only did you remember our appointment, you are early to it. Good man. Come, let's get a table and you can tell me how you faired." Quentin leading the way inside securing them a table swiftly, he'd actually made a reservation.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah's clothing had suffered some damage since he had received it. There was a cut in his sleeve and the material was wearing thin at the knees and elbows. But he had attempted to clean his clothes and himself before he came.

"Good to see you, ser." he said sheepishly, when the man approached him. So he had remembered. Noah followed him in, nervously biting his lip. His hands were sweaty. Well, look, the guy was rather big and bore himself with such confidence, that it was intimidating. The people looking at him didn't help. He looked straight ahead, trying to ignore the silent disapproval. They were led to their table, and Noah waited to sit down until Quentin did.

448 Posts
2 Threads

Quentin settles down first and gestures the lad to sit across from him. The waiter asks if they would like anything to drink and Quentin orders a glass of ice water with a twist of lemon. Noah is asked what he would like and this ascertained the waiter retreats for the moment.

"So lad, what have you to report?" The big man inquires.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah would have loved to order something alcoholic, but he ordered the same as Quentin instead. He didn't want to blow this. When Quentin asked him what he had to report, he nervously fidgeted with his napkin on the table. "Erm... well... I became a farm hand, ser. I want to be a farmer." He looked at the napkin rather than at Quentin.

448 Posts
2 Threads

Quentin eyes the boy in silence for several long moments. "I think that is an admirable decision. Shows long term planning and forethought, if you can acquire your own land you can pass it down. There will always be a need for food so you will have steady income and your family in the future can be provided for." He nods his head as he considers all of this.

"You say you've already gotten yourself a position as a farmhand?" Quentin says as he grins at the boy, apparently the lord was not just alright with this choice but pleased. "Which farm are you working at? I'll want to speak to your employer, his opinion of you will impact what continued aid I will offer." Quentin strokes his chin nodding in thought, the obvious answer was that he could buy land for Noah but that was not a good place to start. That would be an over whelming amount of responsibility for the lad.

"And what about your brother? Young James, will he be joining you?"
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah looked up relieved when the man praised him. He smiled sheepishly. "Thank ye, ser," he muttered, glowing. He didn't get praised often, and especially not by a rich bloke who took an interest in his future and might support him.

He was about to tell the man the name of the farmer, when the gentleman asked about James, and Noah cast his eyes down. He began to pluck at the napkin again. "He'll have to stay in me parents 'ome for now and get 'imself to school. But I told 'im it's important he goes and he promised 'e will. I can't watch him while I'm workin' for Mr. Meijer, ser, but once I get me own place I can take him in." He looked up as he remembered the other question. "Ah, tha's the farmer I work for, ser, Mr. Meijer. He's a gentleman 'imself, but come 'ere to farm and be a teacher. I dunno why 'e would, but 'e's been feedin' them bairns in t' school and 'e's a good man."

448 Posts
2 Threads

"I see, well we will go and talk to Mister Meijer after this meal. I assume that if you had the ability to house him James would prefer to reside with you than your parents?" Quentin asks as the waiter returns with their drinks asking for their orders. Quentin orders the fish stew with white bread and garden vegetables.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah's neck turned red at the idea of going back to Mr. Meijer's together. What if Mr. Meijer disapproved of this contact? What if he felt Noah was a beggar an sacked him for it? But he dared not oppose Mr. North. Noah looked up, muttered a thanks to the waiter, and ordered the same as Quentin without really listening to what the man ordered. Then he looked at the man sheepishly, his hand plucking away at the napkin. He didn't realize that by now he had undone one of the stitches that kept the edge from unraveling. "I.. suppose..." His parents were awful parents and Noah knew it, and still he felt reluctant to admit that to outsiders. "So long as it ain't formal and me parents don't realize 'e's moved out..." That could take a couple of nights though.

448 Posts
2 Threads

"Very good, having made the acquaintance of your father I think young James would benefit from having some more industrious role models in his life." Which was the absolute politest way of looking at things. "So what lead you the decide on farming?" Quentin inquires as he takes a sip of his water, he was looking for a better understanding of the decision making process that Noah had used rather than more of the story.